Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Dissappointing End to Best Trip Ever!  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dissappointing End to Best Trip Ever!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 06:08:00 AM »
Man you weren't kidding about a good trip!  Congratulations!!  That Eland is huge.  You needed a new bow anyways didn't you?    :knothead:  I am getting my Eland from the taxidermist Thursday morning, then I just have the Zebra and Nyala half mounts left to get done.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
Oh man, Marty.  Sorry to hear about your lost baggage.  Airline customer service absolutely sucks these days.  They know they have you over a barrel and they take full advantage of the fact that there is virtually no recourse against them.  But, it's a necessity in most cases for travel.  Hope you get your stuff back soon.  Good luck!  
We could sure use a story with photos for the PBS magazine.  With all the success you had maybe you can talk Barry into writing a retraction to his story about you missing the big buck, but somehow I doubt it, HA!  
Hope to meet you at the PBS banquet in Pittsburgh.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Wow Marty!!  You have some experiences and memories there that no one can take from you.    :readit:     Best,  Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Kevin,
Yes I'll see you in the "Burgh". It is actually my hometown. I am from a small town 20 miles east of there. Lookin forward to it.I agree with you on the retraction story from Barry, it would only be fair, wouldn't it? By the way, maybe I'll redeem myself on that Kansas buck. I was drawn and I'm goin back!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
Great animals specially love the Kudu!

Good job,

Fingers crossed for your bag to return!

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Marty, Sorry about your bag bud.....

But congrats on the rest of your journey...simply AWESOME!!  Some day I hope to make the same trip...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »
hey Marty, where's the arrow hole in the zebra?

I'm juts glad my tripod wasn't in that bag...all the rest of that stuff was worn out anyway. Get some new stuff and quit whining.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
You think you're glad about the tripod, that's the first thing I checked! Hole in Zebra is on my side of photo, just a little back. As my PH said, you were lucky, that shot will kill the zebra, but not the others. He was right. It went maybe 150 yds on a marginal shot. Thanks for asking. Is that all you and Gene have to talk about, my mistakes?
Thank you to all the guys who have commented on my trip and Of course I woulda told you if the bag came.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Looks like you had a great trip. Visser has a fantastic place. All my bags made it back, They just dug through and picked out what they wanted to steal and let me have what was left.

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Awesome stuff...sorry about the bags, but these photos are great!
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Well hell Marty, you can get all new stuff when you come to the PBS Banquet.  There will be plenty of vendors there to help you out.  Glad to hear you are coming, and who knows, your bag might show up any minute.  
Last time I went to Alaska, one of the guys with me had his backpack go missing.  It had all his hunting stuff in it of course, binos, knives, rope, compass, etc.  That was in September.  Believe it or not, it showed up at his place in Wisconsin like a day or two after their deer season ended.  I told him someone must have been using it and returned it after the season, HA!
Everything was in it just as he left it.

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Marty, sorry for the loss.  I'm leaving for Vissers in September and based on your tough luck I found and bought lost luggage insurnace from AMEX.  $11.95 for $2000.00 coverage.  coupled with the $650 from the airline a loss could be managed.
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
Marty you must know the two of them by now it will always be the mistakes they remember , over and over and over again --- beautiful pics , are eland as soft as they look in pics?
 --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
ncsturkey, wish I woulda done that. Good luck, we had a great trip. Herb, I really didn't notice the coat, I was too excited about the horns!That's one problem with Africa hunting, they wisk the animals away after hero pictures and the next time you see it is on the drying table. Herb, trust me when I tell you that I am relentless when they make mistakes too!

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Great looking pics Marty.  I got a few bows if you need to borrow one until your stuff shows up.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Marty,
Just heard on the news that this summer the airline advisors are now telling people traveling anywhere in Europe to use carry on luggage only- and they are using British Airways as a reason, but apparently ALL airlines are at fault- BA has lost 1.3 million bags this summer.

So many, they are shipping them back to the states on full cargo planes!! Amazing. I wouldn't give up hope it will show up, bud.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Thanks guys, especially talltines offer on a bow. I have others, but we all have favorites. The one missing is my first custom Robertson.
Ray, I still call and we'll see, but in the meantime all vendors are happy.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I can only imagine. Best of luck to you this coming weekend.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Update!  Got a letter from Air France that said they may have found my bag in Paris!!! Of Course, got it Friday after hours, so I can't reply til Monday,cause I'm sure they don't celebrate our Labor Day.Could have good news soon! Thanks for votes of confidence, but I'll feel better when I get my paws on it.

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Alright Marty!  I hope this is the beginning to a good ending.  Good luck and I hope they are sending your bag early next week.

East of Pittsburgh you say?  What little town did you call home?  Maybe we were neighbors....
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©