Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Pelican 1700 For Africa?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Pelican 1700 For Africa?
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
'Am thinking about getting a Pelican 1700 for next years trip. Have only read about them on internet. Need to know if SAA will charge excess luggage for it. It measures 62 1/2". Also, can I fit 2 take down longbows, bow quiver, 24 arrows and misc. items without any problem. Do I need to get 1 or 2 locks? What is the best way to cut foam? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pelican 1700 For Africa?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
Forrest,

I have used one of those on a number of African trips. It is by far the best case in existance, it is however also the heaviest case as well. I cannot advise you on the lock scenario as I always used two locks. I believe under new fly regs no locks are allowed other than that universal one they are pushing for. It is big and bulky for sure. If you have takedown bows why not look at one of the smaller cases designed to fit in the bottom compartment of many of the large rolling duffles. Pelican also makes a half size case but I do not know if it will fit in these duffles. Cabelas product assistance staff should beable to try it and inform you. Maybe someone on here will know and jump in.
hunt it

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
The pelican, as hunt it noted, is the best out there.

I think the case I have runs around 50" and is under the 62" regulation size. If it's 62.5" you are technically "over"...I suppose it would depend on the person you were dealing with at the counter. Personally I'd go with a different model to avoid any issues.

Locks: You will need the universal locks. Yes, it stinks, but it's what you will have to do in this day and age.

Foam: I've used 1" thick stuff. You can draw the outline of the profile of your bows and cut it out with a razor knife--you may need a few layers of foam to get to your riser's thickness. Glue this cut out layer(s) on top of a solid piece of foam, which will be the bottom.
Also don't forget to cut out a spot for your quiver, tabs, miso items...et cetera. Take a look at the Blackwidow website (under accessories) to see what they came up with--it's really quite well thought out.

24 arrows? Use the lid for your arrows. You'll need to come up with a way to hold them in place. Again check the BW site for inspiration. They did it right.

Something I did to my Pelican case was to make it look kinda junky. To my way of thinking if the case looks good it's going to contain something "good" inside for a would be thief.
I randomly spray painted the case, added duct tape (to make it look like the case is falling apart). Just trying to make the case not attract attention--especially for something that looks like it might contain a rifle or two.

Good luck.
J
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Forrest-hunter,
I have the 1700 and mine is no 62.5". The 1700 that I have myself, in my opinion, is perfect for what yo uare looking to do.

Jarrod
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Thanks-I got the 62 1/2" by adding L+W+D. I ordered one today.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©