Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: >>--Red Arrow Crew--> is back from Namibia  (Read 8794 times)

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: >>--Red Arrow Crew--> is back from Namibia
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
while we are waiting for the rest of the gang to chime in with their hunt stories i will post some images from the landscape and animals that we were blessed with seeing.

sunrise view from a blind called "Long Trough"

relaxing in the shade:

this is the place for dove hunting:

my little buddy. he can bite in case you were wondering:

one of the many road checks we had to pass through on our way around the countryside:

we were not the only hunters in the bush:

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
WOW!! good stuff guys. Y'all have mw wanting to go back. What a great place to be a bow hunter.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
you should join me next summer, i'll be back there doing it all over again.     :archer:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »
Hey guys, I came home for a bit, but I've gotta leave for two more days now!   Sorry about that.  Rob, Doc did a fine job telling the story of my Eland.  Go ahead and post the picture if anyone wants to see it.  By the way, the animal that Brady is referring to that we were tracking before I shot my Eland was a springbok.  I shot it a hair low, and despite alot of blood and over a full day looking for it, we were unable to recover it.  This bothers me since I'm sure the animal did not survive.  The trackers over there are amazing but sometimes a trail will get difficult to the point where even they can lose it.  

Rob, my part of the video is coming to you.  
By the way, you're a good writer man.  Keep up the good work.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
off again are we?  i'm glad it's you holding up the show and not me   :biglaugh: . just kid'n of course. hey we will keep plugging a long and hopefully save you a little something to say before we finish.

did you hear from Piet?  i sent him your email address and phone number.

sorry to keep you all waiting so long, it's just been tough trying to find a few minutes to write after being gone basically since the first of July i have a ton of work to catch up on. look for the next installment later on this evening a long with some more pics.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
heres a few pics to hold you for a spell:

>~Rob~>

Offline camp thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Rob,
Absolutly Fantastic !!!!
How would you rate your canon vid cam to the gl-2
Just curious as i have a gl-2 and will be doing a video/dvd for a charity while over there.
please keep the pics and stories coming guys, makes the rest of us yearn even more for the experience.
Hunt of a Lifetime " making dreams come true"

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
This working for a living is sure messing up my story telling  :) .
Camp thunder, I will tell you that Rob has a HD Canon.  It is quite a bit better than the GL-2 and the Sony VX2100 that I use simply because of the HD format.

After taking the kudu and blesbok, I spent a few days just watching critters without firing an arrow.  We traveled to Etosha to get a glimpse of some of the animals that we weren't likely to see otherwise...elephants, lions, rhinos, and the like.

The days hunting were not wasted either.  Though, I didn't loose an arrow, I stalked eland, oryx, steinbok, kudu, zebra, and impala.  Unlike my previous trip to this place, there was little cover because of the drought.  This made stalking extremely difficult.  I also, set up another stand which would prove to be useful on a later hunt.  From the blinds I watched numerous animals every day.  Warthogs and guineas filled in the slow times between antelope sightings.  I watched as everything from giraffe to the tiny Damara dik-dik which inhabit only this region of Namibia paraded by.  I also got to enjoy the company of many friends, both old and new, as we sat together and enjoyed all that Africa had to show us.
The sights of Africa are easily visible through the many photographs that we have all seen.  What you cannot see in pictures, though, are the fantastic sounds of Africa.  In this world of solitude from everyday human noises, is a cacophony of sound.  What is lacking are the sounds of pagers, cell phones, overhead planes, and automobiles.  What is present are the sounds of nature.  Just before sun up the francolin begin their loud screaching and buzzing calls.  Shortly after, the dove begin their arial assult of the waterholes.  It is common place to see as many as 100 dove at the water each morning and evening.  Their pigeon-like cooing accompanying them.  As daylight breaks, guineas fly down off the roost and come to the water in droves.  Like barnyard chickens, they chase and flog one another, jockying for position, socially and at the water.  The characteristic chattering of guineas was almost always present.  Dozens of varieties of birds would soon follow.  Each with their own sounds.  Some were shrieks, others whistles, still others whirring or cawing.  Then the larger animals would arrive.  The wildebeast and heartebeast would grunt and clash horns with their like kind.  The springbok are also grunters, sounding almost like a young pig.  Then their were the pigs.  The warthogs seldom watered without adding to the symphony.  Grunts, squeals, and lip smacking were their contribution to the overature.  Kudu barked when alarmed, a startling noise when you weren't prepared.  Eland approached with clicking hooves.  Baboons howled, sqealed, hooped, and generally sounded like unruly children.  In one instance a baboon even got in a coughing spell which was indistinguishable from that of a human.  At night the sounds of jackal filled the starlit sky adding to the sounds of at least 2 varieties of birds which continued through the night.  Africa is more than just a visual experience.  You also feel it, hear it, and smell it.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
After taking a few days to enjoy the sights and sounds it was time to get back into predator mode.  Rob and I spent the morning at Lankrop (Long trough) post.  As usual, the morning was slow, at least by Africa standards.  A couple of small warthogs, an army of guinea, and a small herd of red heartebeast were all that came calling.  As I have 2 big red heartebeast gracing my wall already, I was under strict orders not to shoot another.  That's where Rob came in.  His wall was and is devoid of a red heartebeast, but the DVD is blessed with another blooper.  Everyone had to do their part  :) .
Later, my wife, Dana, joined Rob and I at the same hide.  We spent the hot afternoon playing with the geckos that slipped into the blind to avoid the midday sun.  As the evening approached, so did the kudu.  A small herd of females made their way to the water.  Another opportunity for game management was fast approaching.  Unfortunately, the wind had been battling for direction all afternoon as it had on most of our trip.  Their had been no victor yet, so the wind and our human scent just swirled around our hunting area.  The kudu noticed the intusion of our scent, but the swirling winds must have diluted it somewhat as the group did not disperse as they usually would.  Instead a bold and especially brash cow circled around the water barking, or perhaps more appropriately, roaring at us.  She persisted in her assult for several minutes, but the allure of the water proved too much to resist.  As she stepped towards the water one last time, she uttered another obstinate bark then lowered her head.  My bow came instantly to full draw.  I felt the feather touch my nose and continued my intense focus until I saw the orange feathers and the lighted Firenock strike the spot of my focus.  The eclipse tipped Grizzlystick again sunk deep into the beautiful antelope and I knew that death would only take a moment.  A dust cloud arose as the group scattered.  The stricken animal separated quickly from the herd and stopped to bark twice more in defiance.  My blood stained arrow hung chest high in a bush 10 yards from the waterhole.  Shortly beyond that lay the beautiful kudu cow.  The beautiful, but harsh circle of life had once again played itself out in Africa as it has for thousands of years.  It was good to be a part of it.

Offline Jarrod Feiner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Rob, Excellent and remarkable photos.
Jarrod
"Your own soul, as a hunter, has gone out to fasten on the soul of the deer, even before the deer has any wind of you, it is so. It is a subtle, profound battle of wills , which takes place in the invisible" D.H. Lawrence

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
well allright Doc, i was beginning to wonder if i would get some help on this hunt. truthfully Brady was very nice to me. i had this absolute chip shot on this nice red hartebeest and blew it. i was really hoping to draw more blood with "Miss Hope" but it was not in the cards. honestly i think this hartebeest had a death wish i was just not the one to full fill it. just 6 inches higher and he would have been toast. as it was i think he now sports a bald spot on his chest just below his heart.

Brady was right on when speaking of the sounds and smells of Africa. so much so that the afternoon we sat in the blind together it was down right hot. i would liken it to a sauna.

about half way through the afternoon Doc stripped down to his boxers and was sprawled out on the dirt floor with his eyes closed. i had serious thoughts of doing the same but i thought it best i spare Dana (Docs beautiful wife) the horror. the temp on the floor was probably about 10-15 degrees cooler. you just never know what the temp will be on an African winters day.

i need to back up the hunt just a little since Jon is away again. i guess some of just have to work, sometimes any way.  well the morning before Brady and I sat the blind, Jon and I a long with PH Francois were there trying to put an arrow through a springbok. as Jon mentioned he shot a little low but we had good blood. we replayed the tape at least 50 times trying to see exactly where the arrow struck, but these animals are so quick to react we couldn't nail down the exact spot.

i was really lucky to get this shot on film. the pressures of being the camera man. about 10 minutes prior to this nice male springbok coming in we had had a huge herd of them. talk about needing ritalin, these critters bounce around more than 1st graders after a birthday party with lots of ice cream and cake.

i was trying really hard to stay focused on the largest animal in the bunch since i knew Jon would also be zeroed in on him. we didn't have communication since i was in an elevated blind about 20 yards off to Jon's right. this one specific springbok gave what i thought was several good opportunities but as i learned later none of them were good due to other animals or the angle of the shot.

after watering they all filtered away and finally were out of sight. i was looking down at the blind where Jon and Francois were sitting hoping for some kind of sign when i caught a glimpse of something coming in to water. it was a mongoose. least i think that's what this furry creature was.  i turned the camera back on to get a little footage of him and then i sat back to relax a little after all the excitement.

about the time i was getting all comfy i noticed movement on my LCD screen on the camera. thank goodness i had failed to turn it off, other wise i would have never seen the springbok that came in from no where. he was a nice mature animal with heavy thick horns and i was certain Jon would be loosing an arrow.  i sat up quickly and filled the screen with it's body as i followed him to the water.

unlike the herd of 1st graders that had visited earlier this fellow came right in and went straight for a drink. as the cool water wet his lips i could see the muscles in his neck throb as he gulped up one drink or water after another. to me it seemed like he had been there for ever and then i heard the shot.

at the sound of the shot the animal we off and running. from my view point i couldn't tell if Jon had hit the animal or not but i was intent on following the springbok as far as the window in the blind would allow me to.

we all came out of our hides and met at the water hole. after looking at the arrow and reviewing the shot as best we could we took up the track. Jon was very hesitant to start following this animal so soon but we did. we were joined right away by Jarum one of the trackers. after following the tracks and blood for about 75 yards Jarum advised that we should leave the animal and pick up the track later.

he had found a spot where he determined the springbok had bedded down and then jumped up as we approached. this would prove to be the pit fall on this hunt. when the track was taken back up later they found where he had rejoined some of the others from the herd. this a long with the rocky soil, the lack of blood prevented the trackers from finding this animal.

as good as these trackers are they just can't perform miracles. Jon was really down after this but he shook it off and came back full force without missing a beat.

something to note here is the fact that as bowhunters we at some point during our lives will make a less than perfect shot and not be able to recover an animal. it will happen to the best and worst of us. in Africa unlike here in the states if you draw blood you pay the trophy fee for that animal. this should not deter anyone from hunting but what it should do is charge you with being the best shot that you can be and to not take shots that you do not feel 100% confident with.

if your PH takes you to a blind that has a shot that is outside your range limit don't hesitate to tell him that you don't feel comfortable with that distance. if the PH is worth his salt he will move you to a new location or use some creative ways to get the animal closer. on this hunt we actually had a blind that was a little farther than most of us felt comfortable with so the PH had a temporary brush blind erected.

my hat's off to Jon as he kept his chin up and made some down right beautiful shots on animals after this mishap with the springbok.

as for Brady's kudu cow, the only thing i can add to his story would be that the first time she roared at us i about peed myself. she was only about 10 yards from the blind and looking right at me. if you have seen one of the cartoons where the bear growls and the other characters hair blows back, well that's about how this was. YIKES!!

just wait until you see the video of this kudu cow, you will see exactly what i was talking about.  Brady's shot was right on the money and she didn't go 75 yards. i'm still trying to figure out how his arrow ended up suspended in a bush 7 feet off the ground. as we slipped out of the blind at dark you could see the fire nick glowing. it was cool.... back at camp, penalty shots were in order, again!!!
>~Rob~>

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
Several more days past for me without a shot. Then I managed to arrow a nice kudu cow from a stand I had hung earlier in the week.  Rob was sitting in a pit blind filming.  There was a steady crosswind from his position.  The animal were cautious and would always circle downwind of the blind which put them right in my lap.  On a previous afternoon, I had a nice male duiker and several warthogs walk right under the same stand.  I also had opportunities as the elusive Damara dik-dik, baboons, steinbok,and a plethora of other animals, but past all for one reason or another.  I didn't bring enough arrows or wallet to shoot at everything that presented an opportunity.
After days of swirling winds, our hunt was coming to a close, and I was unsure whether or not I was going to be bringing much home with me aside from a lifetime of memories.  I felt more than a little pressure to get some more kills on video as that was a big part of my purpose for this trip.  I finally convinced myself to lighten up and enjoy my last day of the trip.  After all, it is the journey that makes the trip so special, not adding more heads to my already overcrowded walls.  
The decision was made that I would hunt the last day alone.  Everybody wanted to get out in the field with bow in hand, so we each chose a plan of action and set out on our way.  My chosen course was to return to Sophienhof and hunt the "middle hide" where I had already taken 2 kudu cows and a blesbok.  I knew that I had several hunting options there given that I had set a stand in the area, constructed a brush blind, and had the existing blind from which to choose.  Given the swirling winds that had plagued me every afternoon, I felt like I had options for every possible wind direction.  Still, a good plan doesn't always end with downed game.  I was nervous that I had placed all my eggs in one basket.  Should I have chosen to hunt Kudu Post where most of our trophies had come from this trip?  Should I have hunted Roy Post which was the least hunted hide this trip, and probably had the highest concentrations and variety of game given that it was the only water hole for several miles?  I kept my resolve and headed out to the "middle hide" before sun up.
The wind had howled all night long which from past experience was a good thing so long as it lightened during the day.  I climbed into my brush blind as the sun peaked through the dark moonless sky.  The wind was heavy, but the direction was perfect.  It was just a matter of time.  As dark gave way to light, the guineas flew down from their nearby roost, chattering and clucking like a poorly chalked box call bouncing around in your pocket.  I watched them as they chased each other around and spurred at each other in mid air.  The noisy francolin were not far behind.  An hour passed without another animal coming.   I shot at and missed a guinea fowl, a down time activity I had become quite good at.  Hours more passed, but the wind never subsided.  The direction stayed true, but the ferocity kept the animals tucked away in the bush.  Shortly before midday I left the blind and climbed the high mountain that overlooked the expansive property.  From the high ridge top I spooted a group of black wildebeast in an open area a few miles away.  I contemplated a stalk, but realized that even if I made it to them in time, it was unlikely that I could approach within shooting distance given the wide open terrain they were bedded down in.  I spent another hour glassing, spotting only a couple of travelling warthogs.  I also spent a good deal of time looking over my shoulder as I was alone in an area known to have a good leopard population.  Finally I made my way back down the mountain and to my blind.  I had brushed away the tracks from around the waterhole prior to leaving.  There were no new tracks when I returned except for guineas.  I climbed back into the blind for an hour or so, before making a radio call to be picked up.  I had told Dana that I would travel into town on our last day to pick up some items for home.  Since the wind hadn't slowed I figured this was as good a time as any.  When Piet arrived he told me that Dana had already gone into town, a good thing since camp was 45 minutes away, but my current hunting spot was only about 15 minutes.  I travelled into town and did some last minute tourist buying in the small town of Outju.  Aftr an hour had gone by, I had fulfilled my obligation and was anxious to return to my blind.  The wind was still heavy, but I was confident that it would let up....eventually.  After returning to camp I decided to make a stalk.  We had spotted some blue wildebeast, and I made my best effort at closing the distance.  Unfortunately, by the time I arrived at their position they were gone.  I was never able to catch up with them, and eventually decided I was better off sitting than stalking.  On my way back to my blind I closed the distance on a female duiker, but passed.
The wind had lightened some when I arrived back at the blind, but still no new tracks at the water.  Expecting the wind to switch directions as it had on previous afternoons, I went to inspect one of my treestands.  As I was eyeing a limb that I wanted to remove, something got my attention.  I turned back to look, only to see 2 warthogs standing 20 yards away...staring at me.  My CamoWest camo had them confused as to what I was, so I remain still against the trunk of the tree.  My initial movement had startled them, and they trotted off into the bush a little ways before stopping.  That was all I needed.  I used the sparse shrubbery for concealment and closed to within 20 yards of the smaller hog.  The larger of the two remained blocked by another bush, so I made my way towards a clear shot.  The first hog eventually figured me out, and both left in a cloud of dust.  My heart was pounding, and I was thankful for such a close opportunity.
Crawling back into the blind, I felt the wind on my face.  It was lightening up considerably.  I expected animals to arrive at any moment, but none came.  Hours more passed without another animal coming to water.  This had been my slowest day yet, and it was my last.  About an hour before my hun't end, I noticed movement coming from downwind.  The wind had stayed true allowing me to remain in my brush blind.  The prancing motion in the bushes could only belong to a warthog.  When they emerged from the bush I could see 2 female warthogs, both with nice teeth.  The smaller of the 2 had a few half-sized pigs, the larger had none.  In typical fashion, the younger pigs watered first while the paranoid elders stood watching.  Eventually the lesser of the two made her way to water.  She drank heartily.  The larger hog came to water, but was completely shielded by the smaller of the two, the one with the young ones.  Given my luck over the past 2 weeks, I knew that the larger pig would leave before offering a shot.  My pessimism was in vain.  With the camera focused, the smaller of the two hogs backed up, opening the kill zone of the larger.  The smaller pigs nervously looked in my direction, and I knew that they would likely jump string at the shot, causing the other hog to also jump away from the water.   I focused just back behind the shoulder expecting the inevitable jump.  The arrow released and flew true.  As expected the hog had jumped back away from the water.  My calculations had been off, but my arrow landed squarely in the animal's neck, severing the spine and the carotid artery.  The animal dropped immediately and expired seconds later.  I worked quickly to move the animal into the bush and cover the blood with sand.  My hunt was not quite over.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
here is Doc with his last evening warthog... we finally got him to smile.  

still waiting on my partner Ed to post some of his stories, in the mean time here are a couple more images including one of his nice trophies.

the two Rookies were blessed with an awesome first hunt. you can bet they will be returning.

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
on the afternoon that Jon and the trackers were working out the difficult track from his springbok the wind had kicked up as well as the sun. we had been on the track for several hours and we hadn't planned on being out that long. note to myself, always bring water regardless.

we had circled back around towards the road that lead to long trough where it all started with this springbok. since we were hot and thirsty Francois and i decided to go back to the blind and pick up some water and gear. after getting dropped off we decided to just hang tight at the blind and wait for some word from the trackers.

when Jon and I parted i had mentioned to Jon to come pick me up or call on the radio as soon as they located the springbok so that we could do some recovery footage.  

as luck would have it, or should i say no have it they were unable to locate the springbok. with less than an hour of daylight left and being fairly close to Kudu Post, Jon and Jarum decided to finish out the day sitting in the blind. meanwhile Francois and i were enjoying the parade of animals that were visiting us.

back at Kudu Post things were getting ready to be very interesting for Jon.  as the sun was sinking on the horizon Jarum heard the positive id sound of an eland approaching. it was a huge bull and he was coming in before dark and all by himself. as the bull approached the pool of cool water Jon quickly readied himself for a shot.

the massive 1500-1800 pound animal stood just 18 yards for the hidden bowhunter with his flank exposed in perfect position for a killing shot. Jon still feeling some frustration from his earlier encounter with the springbok was more determined than ever to make a perfect shot.

as the beast lowered his head Jon drew back the string to anchor held, picked his spot and released. the arrow buried almost to the feathers right in the vital triangle. the bull leaped forward into the water hole with a crash and struggled to exit as his side turned a crimson red.

when he finally escaped the water he staggered then attempted to run off. after only 25 yards he fell in a cloud of dust and it was over. the arrow had been placed perfectly and the animal had expired in less than a minute. Jon had redeemed himself in a big way.

the first thing Jon said when we pulled up, "Doc is going to kill me for not getting this on video, but this is awesome". to say he was excited would have been a huge understatement. it took 6 grown men and a wench to load this big boy in the back of the truck and then we were headed to camp all smiling with wide grins, especially Jon.

just take a look at this photo and tell me if you think this bunch is happy...   :biglaugh:

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
well all but the little fellow in the back middle, Obrum.  that young man is actually 27 years old, but he doesn't look a day past 15 if you ask me. don't worry we got him to smile plenty during our two weeks there.  

here is a photo of the gang just before the wench gave away.  

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
the great thing about making perfect shots on animals in Africa is you get to avoid the wrath of these nasty little devils.

if you don't find an animal or need to wait until morning to take up the track these guys will find you animal and can really make a mess of a nice trophy. getting one with a bow i think would be a real challenge. Brady and I tried calling them in one evening but didn't have a lot of luck.  i think it would be possible especially if you were to call after dark as that seems to be when they are most active.
>~Rob~>

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
I found out some interesting information about calling jackals while talking with Francois one evening.  Some folks do call them in, as well as hyenas.  The primary method seems to be howling, similar to what we would use for coyotes.  Francois was quite good at reproducing the jackals howls with his own mouth.  Hyena calls can also be reproduced or you can use tape recorded calls over a speaker.  Unlike our coyotes which will typically respond in 5 or 10 minutes, jackals may take 30 minutes to an hour to respond I was informed.  I still am confident that they could be called in with a distress type of predator call, but timing and location would  be important as it is with coyotes.  The hardest part was taking time out from hunting plains game in order to target on of these little rascals, but I will no doubt try again next trip.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
In the mean time  Jon had been putting it the warthogs. he ended up taking 3 really nice pigs during the hunt.  after he took the 3rd hog we had to nickname him the "Warthog Man".  it actually got so bad that on one of Jon's last few evenings hunting he saw a nice warthog coming in to water so he removed his braodheads real quick before it got close enough so that he couldn't shoot.

i can just picture him struggling to remove his broadheads quickly while shaking like a smoker trying to quit with a pack sitting on the table in front of them. we have already planned our texas hog hunt for next year.

this is a picture of Jon while out scouting for stand locations... sorry Jon i couldn't resist....

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
with the wildlife being so different from what we have here in the states, i was in photo heaven.  here are a few more images of the wildlife and landscapes in the area where we were hunting.

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
while the others were busy looking to arrow just one more trophy i was busy burning memories to film and memory cards.  however all work and no play or in the case all work and no hunting makes for an incomplete trip. with two days left and almost 40 hours of footage to go through i decided it was time for me to sit in a blind and try my luck.

Piet thought that we should try giving Sophienhof another try so before daylight on the next to last day we were headed that way.  once we arrived we checked the wind. as it had been doing all week it was blowing hard and in the wrong direction.  Piet felt like it would be a waste of time to sit in any of the 3 blinds available.

after some discussion we decided to hike to the top of the ridge and glass in hopes of finding some animals in a favorable spot for a stalk. the walk to the top found both Piet and I short on breath.  mind you most African hunts are fairly easy on the body, but this hike let me know just what kind of shape i wasn't in, good!  

sitting on atop a large boulder it didn't take long for us to locate animals.  giraffe were the first spotted and they were followed by wildebeest, kudu, warthogs, oryx and finally a large herd of eland. now i really wanted to take an oryx but after looking over all the stalking opportunities we decided that the eland offered the best possibility.

we watched them for close to 30 minutes as they slowly made their way up a draw between two ridges. i was amazed at how well a herd of such huge animals could disappear into thin air. what kept giving them away was the loud clicking of the hooves.

as they continued to move uphill and work their way towards a rock face we could see an opportunity in the making.  if they continued on the same path, which we felt certain they would, they would end up on the backside of the ridge behind us. we hurried to our feet and lit out at a brisk pace.  we had to travel back down the ridge we were on and then up the next ridge in order to circle in front of them to prevent them from catching our wind.

as we worked our way around the backside of the ridge we would stop every few hundred yards to check the wind. it stayed in our favor and with each step i could feel the anticipation building. i was really enjoying still hunting in Africa and this stalk was getting more interesting by the minute.

the terrain was was very rocky and thick with thorn brush. if i stopped once to pull thorns out of my clothes i stopped 100 times. these thorns are tenacious and don't let go you have to remove them or risk a trip to the alteration shop. the rocky terrain proved to be quicker and quieter than expected allowing us to move faster.

as we rounded the ridge i knew that we were getting close.  Piet paused for a few minutes to see if we could hear the clicking of the hooves, but it was all quiet. slowly we moved forward intently gazing at the brush in front of us for any sign of the herd that we knew were some where close.  i heard a stick pop and froze for a second. were my ears playing tricks on me or did i hear something.

i should have gone with my 6th sense, but instead we moved forward and there he was. just 30-40 yards in front  of us a lone eland bull was standing with both eyes glued to our position. Piet and i both froze trying to melt into the bush, but it was useless he had our number and it wasn't long before he swapped ends and was headed back down the ridge.  of course he carried the rest of the herd with him in what sounded like a landslide.

we could hear the breaking branches, rolling rocks banging together as they put some distance between them and us. Piet looked at me and we both burst into laughter.  man was that fun i thought to myself. we had invested over an hour to this stalk and blew it all in a matter of seconds. getting that close feeling the rush of blood is what makes hunting with traditional gear such a blast.

>~Rob~>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©