Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: >>--Red Arrow Crew--> is back from Namibia  (Read 8793 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: >>--Red Arrow Crew--> is back from Namibia
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
Great pictures!  Now I'll have to go back and read the stories and dream of the long grass ...

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
Dave be sure and read the story it will get you fired up to go back for sure. i am already planning my return next summer.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
i'll keep posting photos until we get the story finished.  hopefully i won't post any more than once.  

some of the views around Afrika Jag Safari.....

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
just found this shot of Obrum, yep he has a smile....

from the looks of this photo you would think it's cold outside. t-shirt weather if you ask me, but these boys looked like they should be in Alaska.
>~Rob~>

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
Great pics and stories guys! Thanks for taking us along.

Now where is that Ed Frye fella. Ya think Momma's got him doin chores this long? NAA, he's probably workin!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Great stories and pics! Rob, I can definitely tell you are a photographer. Thanks for taking all of us along on your trip to Africa.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Momma's surely got Ed working to pay off all those trophy and taxidermy fees!!!!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
well my stalking wasn't over just yet. we hurried up to a vantage point where we could see the retreating herd of eland. they had basically done an about face and were headed right back to the spot where we had originally seen them.  

with the wheels churning in my head i motioned to Piet that i had a plan. i told Piet to continue down the ridge at a slow pace but not to worry about being quiet or invisible. i would cut straight across the draw to the opposite ridge and try to cut them off as they made their way up the other side.  

i lit out at a quick pace knowing full well they would probably beat me to the crossing. i bounced from rock to rock and tried to avoid stepping on the loose rocks and leaves.  i wasn't to worried about the eland hearing me, but i didn't want to spook a herd of kudu or some other animal and send the entire bottom in to a panic.  

as i was nearing the bottom of the ridge i spotted a herd of black wildebeest moving straight down the draw so i swung wide to prevent them from spooking. this extra little detour proved to be all the time that the eland needed to beat me to the crossing. as i neared the spot where i thought they would cross i spotted what would be the last eland in the herd as he crossed the dry creek bed.  

i stopped and regained my breath and of course i was wearing a big smile.  i must be nuts or something, but i get a kick out of trying to outwit gods creatures.  when they win i still win. i mean really, think about it. i could have been back at home going through the daily grid, enjoying myself mind you, but i was here in this wild place called Africa putting my best effort against an animal that has thrived in this environment for centuries.  

i may not have loosed an arrow, but i was satisfied for just having the opportunity to try.  now everyone knows that as soon as you take that deep breath and sigh you let down your guard a little. well i watched the herd as they worked their way to the top of the next ridge and then they were gone. i might not ever see this group of eland again, but the memory of them was burned deep in my brain.  

i could have just sat there the rest of the day and enjoyed my surroundings but i needed to keep moving so that i wouldn't leave Piet wondering what the heck i was doing. so i moved on down the ridge to the bottom and out to the dirt trail. as i eased down the trail i heard some rocks tumbling from above. my binoculars would clue me in to the source. it was Piet making his way down the ridge. he waved and pointed towards the location where the tracker had been waiting so i moved out on the trail.

i had gone about 200 yards, maybe a little more when i got this feeling that something was close so i slowed down to a snails pace. as i crossed a dry creek bed with thick cover on both sides i froze in my tracks. there he stood just 15 yards from me and looking me right in the eye. i knew i had been busted so i just relaxed and let the events happen as they would. the huge oryx swapped ends and vanished into the brush leaving me shaking my head.

i stood there thinking to myself,"you knuckle head", if only you had been ready to shoot. well as luck would have it i had slipped my arrow back in the stalker quiver when the eland had left me high and dry. so i was not prepared and i paid the price by not getting to shoot. chalk it up to experience or the lack there of.

if i can give one piece of advise to anyone thinking about hunting Africa and better yet stalking/still hunting in Africa, don't let your guard down for one second. there could be an animal behind every bush.  i found out the hard way. no sooner had the oryx disappeared i could hear Piet coming through the bush from the opposite side of the trail.  

we stood there the two of us for the next 30 minutes telling what each other had seen and laughing about my misfortune. Piet had seen a group of zebra cross over the ridge in front of him as well as some kudu that were making their way to the water hole that was not to far from where we were. we both were still amazed at how quiet the eland bull had been as we approached. Piet felt bad that we had been spotted, but i assured him that it didn't bother me it's just the way the cards fell on that hunt.

Piet and i made our way back to the truck not as hunter and PH but rather two friends enjoying this grand landscape that god had created for us. it was already a day to remember, but it was not over yet and there would be more excitement before nightfall.

this is a natural spring that has water running even during the dry winter months in Namibia. this specific spring was used in the early 1900's to supply water to a vegetable garden operated by a German fellow.  he grew most of the vegetables for the town of Outjo just before the 1st world war.

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
another shot from a top the Uchab Terraces. this spot reminded me a lot of our grand canyon only on a much smaller scale. we found a lot of sign up there to include kudu and baboon spoor.

>~Rob~>

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2007, 03:06:00 AM »
hey Rob did you ever have any baboons come into the hides?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Andy i didn't but the rest of the guys did. Jon actually shot a nice male. i did see and hear some.   they use the same two water holes and i only sat in one of them one time.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Piet and i drove around to the opposite side of the concession to see what the wind was doing and as it had been for the last few days was blowing in the wrong direction to hunt one of the water holes.

as we rounded a bend in the road we watched as a nice oryx crossed about 300 years in front of us. he never looked our way and the wind was good for a stalk. off we went again.  we had both instinctively marked the spot where the animal has crossed. slowly we made our way down the road keeping a watchful eye for other animals as we neared the place we had marked.

since neither of us are trackers we were having a tough time deciding on which set of tracks belonged to the oryx we had seen. there were two trails the crossed within about 20 yards of each other and both had fresh spor from oryx.  it was decision time and we opted for the trail that showed the most promise.

we eased into the bush slowly looking and listening for any sign of the animal. a clearing was visible ahead of us and we felt that he might have entered into it for an afternoon nap. pausing to scan the brush ahead with my binoculars we felt certain that the oryx was close by.  nothing! we stood there for a few more minutes and then slowly picked our way forward down the path.

just as we started to reach the edge of the clearing we heard a commotion off to our right and instantly froze. it was all for naught as we both watched the oryx exit his bed and head for parts unknown. we had chosen the wrong path, DANG! so close but so far.  the oryx had bedding just inside the bush from the clearing and had we taken the right path we would have walked right up on him in the bed. o'well that's hunting.

well it was back to the drawing board as they say. so we hopped in the truck and headed out. with the wind still not favorable we decided to head back to the other farm and give this spot a day.

we spent the mid day doing some sight seeing with a trip up to the Uchab terraces. Piet schooled me a little about the history of the old abandoned farm house and the part it played in the growth of the town of Outjo.  after leaving the beautiful scenery we made a quick trip into town to pick up some items for camp then it was back on the road headed for Kudu Game Ranch and an afternoon at a water hole.  

by the time we reached the farm it was getting late so Piet suggested that we park a few kilometers away and walk in from the back side with the wind in our favor to avoid spooking any game that may have decided to water early. we hiked up the dirt road a ways and then cut in to the bush following one of the many game trails that weaved through the maze of briars and thorns.

Piet was moving at a good clip then all at once he slowed to crawl telling me we were either close to the blind or he had spotted game. within the next 50 yards i could make out the roof of the elevated blind.  as we approached the hide Piet stopped and motioned that he could see some animals at the water. raising my binoculars i could see a small herd of springbok playing about the water.  

there were 7 in all that i could count. we watched from a distance while working out our plan of attack. it wasn't long before 3 bucks had split from the others and were playing a game of chase. they soon disappeared off to our right leaving the remaining 4 springbok at the water hole. Piet fired up the video camera as i dropped all of my gear except my bow and one arrow.  

i closed the distance to about 75 yards when the 4 animals that were still at the water had drank their fill and started to move off in the opposite direction from the other 3.  something inside of me said that the others would be coming back so i slowly made my way to a spot where i would be able to see and have some cover from a green bush.

i was almost there when i caught movement off to my right and i stopped dead still in my tracks. one foot in the air i wasn't about to move a muscle. the star down commenced and the battle of wills had begun. as the pain started to work it's way down my leg from holding the other leg mid stride i knew that i was going need to put my foot down any moment. relief was soon to come as the springbok that i was having the competition with had had enough and with a loud snort he bounded away taken his two companions with him.

that was awesome i thought to myself! just a few steps quicker and i would have been totally hidden and they would have walked right by me within 10 to 12 yards. as it was i would just have to enjoy the opportunity to have worked my way as close as i did. another unsuccessful stalk, or was it. if you are going by arrows shoot or animals taken, i would say yes. but if you go by the experience i was in my heart what bowhunting is all about.

the adrenalin rush, the quickened heart rate and shallow breathing. the butterflies that fill the stomach as the possibilities race through your mind and finally the climax when you sigh to regain your composure. i love this stuff. i will never grow tired of the feeling i get when bowhunting. it's a closeness with the animals that we hunt that only a true bowhunter can appreciate.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
the evening hunt would be blessed with the sight off a nice Kudu bull that wandered in just before dark. there is just something special about watching the sun set with a majestic animal in the foreground. i was really wishing i had been toting my camera, but the video camera would be better than nothing.

of course like most animals that we hunt, they just don't lay down and die for us and sometimes they seem to have this nack or sixth sense when they near danger. he checked up about 75 to 80 yards out and just stood there watching. if he moved at all it was not noticeable.

while watching this bull with his keen senses keeping him safe a herd of zebra had slipped in and were standing about 50 yards off to our left. yep they were standing down wind and they knew we were there. their constant barks told the entire animal kingdom within a mile that we were there. as you can guess nothing would come near the water with the exception of two honey badgers.

as the last few seconds of light faded so did my chances to connect on this day. it had been one of my most memorable days afield even though i didn't loose the first arrow. we would get a nice treat back in camp.

our host/PH had made arrangements for one of the local tribes of bushman to come visit us in camp and perform some of their native dances. one of their dances was called the "Oryx Dance". this depicted a bushman hunting an oryx and the celebration of the hunt.

we were entertained for close to an hour by the group of dancers. what a way to cap of a great day in the bush.
>~Rob~>

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Dang rob, you took some great pictures.  I guess thats why you're a pro.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
i just figured since you guys were busy sending arrows down range that i better get some good photos to go a long with them.  

are you ready to go back?
>~Rob~>

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Yep!  What are the chances of getting some of these pictures on a CD?

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
real good... so you want more than the ones i already gave you?  i hope to have finished editing all of them in the next few days. i had close to 1200 images to go through. probably seems like a lot but i had over 3000 last year. guess the video camera took a lot of time away from the still camera work. o' well the video is going to be sweet.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
well i am  down to the last day.  it had been a great trip thus far but i was not ready to throw in the towel just yet. at first light you would find me sitting back in the blind at long trough. this hide had been very productive for everyone that had hunted it so i figured i didn't have anything to loose.

as the sky turned from black to a pastel orange and then yellow the wind picked up. by the time daylight was upon me the wind was blowing a gale and it was almost impossible to see out past 30 or 40 yards.  it was winter time and up until now the temperature in the mornings had been cool. with the wind on this morning it was down right chilly. it was just a good thing i had added a second layer before leaving camp.

around 8:30am i decided i had had enough of this wind and called for a ride back to camp. i knew that the animals would be hunkered down and it was no sense sitting there in the blind. i would take advantage of the wind and get in a little spot and stalk hunting. i was back in camp by 9am and Clemons had some hot grub on the stove so i gulped down a little and grabbed my gear and bow and headed off down the dry river bed behind camp.

we had been seeing a herd of kudu bedded down on a daily basis about 500 yards away from camp. they had chosen this spot for the cover it provided as well as the shade during the midday heat. i wasn't sure that they would be there due to the lower temps but i knew if nothing else it would be a great place to start.  as i neared the bend in the river that would put me within sight of the bedding area i slowed to crawl and went into stealth mode.

i don't know about you but when i get into the stalk mode i need to stop and take a few deep breaths, get my composure and think about my every move from that point on. i think the biggest mistake that most of make, me included, is we want to see what is over the next ridge, just around the bend, behind the next tree and so on. if it's one thing i have learned and this trip was no different, when i slow down and take my time my chances increase ten times over.

i was moving a long the shaded side of the river bed with the wind blowing in a steady direction across my face. as long as i spotted any animals ahead of me i would be able to move down wind and get myself into position for a stalk.  

i reached the bedding area without seeing or more importantly spooking any game. i stood there for about 30 minutes tucked in behind a clump of brush and worked my next moves out. the wind was still blowing at a good clip so i decided to leave the bedding area and continue down the river bed in hopes of seeing some game. as i rounded the next bend the wind had changed and i decided to move up onto the bank putting myself down wind of any animals that might be laying in the sun on the opposite bank.  

boy did my plan come together quickly. not 75 yards farther down the river i spotted a lone red hartebeest standing on the opposite bank feeding on some green vegetation.  i slipped in behind some brush where i could see him without being seen by him or any other game on the opposite bank.  i must have watched him for close to 45 minutes before he finally started to work his way down the river bank with the wind at his back.

i waited until he had disappeared behind some fallen trees to make my move. i slipped down in the dry river bed and beat feet about 150 - 200 yards down passed where i had last seen the animal. once i was sure that i had advanced far enough to put myself out in front of him i slowed down and began to look for a spot to exit the river bed and move up in to the bush.  

my luck seemed to be holding out. i found a dry creek bed that fed into the river just another 20 yards. with the bank to the dry creek going up about 10 to 15 feet on both sides. this was perfect. i could move down the creek bed into position and then slip up on the opposite side from where i expected the red hartebeest to show. my thought was once he reached the creek bed he would turn broadside in either direction to look for a suitable place to continue his journey.  

my mind told me i had the green light and things were falling into place. i could almost taste him. i knew i didn't have a lot of time to mess around so i started to ease up the bank on my left hand side looking back over my right shoulder as i moved forward each step. as i neared the crest of the bank i looked back to my left to find some cover. but instead of seeing a bush to hide behind what i saw was a huge set of horns that belonged to a very nice impala ram.

i immediately dropped down on my stomach with my face in the dirt thinking you big dummy. i had violated one of my own rules. always keep you eyes posted for other animals and not just the one you are zeroed in on. it was crunch time and i had to make a decision fast. i wasn't sure first if the ram had seen me or if there were more than just the one animal, but i did know that the red hartebeest was no longer my target. this was a huge ram and i wanted him bad.

i reached down my right side and slowly removed an arrow from my stalker quiver and then slid both the arrow and my bow up in front of me on the bank. i was still lying face down in the dirt about 5 feet below the crest of the bank with the impala standing less than 10 yards away. this is where you have to gamble and make a decision right or wrong. i decided to nock the arrow and slowly get to my feet with the bow at the ready.

i made it to my knees and still could not see the impala so i every so slowly raised my torso up with my head tilted so that my left eyeball was about the highest part of my body. had someone been watching from a far they would have surely thought i was a lunatic. i was almost standing straight up when i noticed the rams horns again. i could only see the tips and i wasn't sure if her was facing me or looking away so i grabbed the bow string and in one fluid motion i stepped up with my left foot and came to full draw.

crap he was facing my way with his head down nibbling on something that i couldn't see. i waiting as long as i could hold the bow string back then i let down. there were 4 other impala in sight of me at this point and believe it or not, not the first one saw me and if they did they had no idea what i was or they just didn't care.

not knowing what the heck to do next i slowly bent at the waist and dropped back out of sight taking a deep breath at the same time. talk about getting the heart pumping. here i had this trophy ram less than 10 yards and i had no shot. i waiting about 30 seconds in truth, but it felt like 10 minutes and then i raised back up just enough to see what they were doing. dang, now there was a second impala standing in front of the ram.

i was starting to feel like a whack a mole, bobbing my head up and down. after two more checks i had still not been detected so i decided i would just go for it and hope for the best. i stayed crouched and took a few more steps to get even closer to the crest of the bank. this time when i stood up i was in for a big surprise. every one of these impala was now about 15 to 20 yards away and walking straight away from me.

what the heck! i quickly moved all the way to the crest of the bank and quickly took a knee with my bow at the ready just in case the ram turned broadside. no such luck they just kept on their course going straight away from me. remembering the hartebeest i turned back in that direction only to see an entire herd looking at me as if to say what the heck do you think you are doing. well they didn't stand there long enough to find out that's for sure.

as the hartebeest exited in a cloud of dust the impala decided that something wasn't right so they to picked up the pace and moved off a safe distance to the base of the ridge that paralleled the river. they milled around in a clump of think brush while trying to figure out what had spooked their neighbors.

not wanting to give up just yet i checked the wind. depending on which way they decided to go i might just have a chance to get back in front of them. with no cover to hide my movement i dropped back in to the dry creek bed and backed out into the river then worked my way down it about 75 yards.  finding a good spot to ease back up the bank i slowly picked my way through the brush to a vantage point where i could see the entire herd of impala.

i watched as they groomed each other and played for 20 minutes in the same spot. i knew sooner or later they would need to move on so i kept my cool and played the waiting game. finally they started to move out one at a time feeding with the wind in their face. needing to move to put myself in a position to intercept them i studied the bush in front of me looking for a possible ambush location.

moving into position behind some green brush i dropped to my knees and started scanning the bush looking for movement. through my binoculars i could see the ram bringing up the rear of the group as they headed in my direction. i had my fingers crossed that they would walk by me on a trail to my left that was about 18-20 yards.

as they approached a small group of trees i knew they would either go around them to the right or left and if they choose the later i would be golden. i must have said please let them go left 100 times if i said it once, but it wasn't in the cards as they stayed to the right which brought them by me just out of range about 50 yards away.

i watched them as they filtered by one by one and finally out of sight. another really close call with this nice impala ram. i guess it just wasn't his day to die. i will be back on his turf once again next year i hope. maybe the tide will turn and i will be the victor at our next meeting. if not and should we never cross paths again i am a better hunter from our brief encounters on this windy winter day outside of a little town called Outjo in Namibia Africa. another wonderful memory burned into my gray matter.

>~Rob~>

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Hey Rob, no I don't need the ones that you already gave me...but the rest would be cool.  Those pics are great!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
can do...
>~Rob~>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©