Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Books on Hunting Africa...Suggestions Please...  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Books on Hunting Africa...Suggestions Please...
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Hello all,

I always like watching the hunting shows when they go to Africa, especially the ones when they hunt the BIG 6.  There is just something about seeing those hunts when the hunter throws his double rile to his shoulder and takes a BIG Cape Buffalo.  I am interested in reading some books about hunting in Africa.  I don't mind at all if they are about gun hunting.  I think I would most enjoy reading about hunting the BIG 6.

I know there are books by an author named Capstick, but that's about all I know about these great adventure writers and books.  So if you don't mind how about giving me some suggestions on what books or authors I should look at when I want to read about hunting the Dark Continent for the most dangerous animals on earth.

Thanks for your time.

Nala

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Books on Hunting Africa...Suggestions Please...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
Any of the books by Peter Capstick, not only his own but the ones that he got reprinted from the old Africa hunters, John Hunter who was a PH and game warden in Kenya in the 50's wrote several good books, Robert Ruark wrote books about not only the hunting but also the Mau Mau uprising which are very good, Wally Johnson who was a PH well into his 70's did his auto biography with Capstick.  A good place to start looking is Safari Press.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
If you want to go Trad, then search for

WHITE, S.E. (1926): Lions in the Path. – 292 p., 35 figs.; Garden City, New York (Doubleday, Page & Co.).

Stewart Edward White was PH and host of Pope & Young when they went 1925 to Africa. The above is his original work I own  :D , but which is hard to get.

There is a fairly new edition available somewhere in the net:
WHITE, S.E. (1987): Lions in the Path. – 292 p., 35 figs.; Prescott, Arizona (Wolfe Publishing Co.).

Anyways, the book is an real eye opener! And you should love all the lions stories ... and guns fired
  :readit:   Falk

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Don't forget the Double Helix by Don Thomas and of course The Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway. I thought Ruark's Horn of the Hunter was a great book as well.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:40:00 PM »
I definately enjoy all of the previous posts! Great reading, Double Helix is one of my all time favorites. That said, a traditional bowhunter embarking on ANY African dangerous game hunt has to read or re-read "The Adventurous Bowman Field Notes On African Archery", by Saxton Pope. A Classic

Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
Don't waste your money on anything by Capstick for he was a ramblin drunk at best. Most of his books are half fiction that he dreamed up while he was sitting around the camp fire pissed silly.
Anyone who has talked with PH's that guided him, will say that the PH's have little nice to say about the man.

The legends penned many great books but they will have little value for reference other than to get you excited, which is good! Ruark,Taylor,Hemingway,Selous,Dinesen and Roosevelt all penned great works among many others. These I class as romantic classics about safari life at it's best in early to mid 1900's.

For actuall hunting info and recent animal information it will be hard to beat African Hunter II by Boddington and Flack (2004) the original African Hunter by James Mellon dates back to 1975 so it's a bit old for reference purposes a great read however. While not a bow hunter Boddington has penned many African books in recent years and he is pretty much bang on how he writes it not BS like Capstick. Another great book that has alot of info is Hunting on Safari in East and South Africa by Aubrey Wynne Jones (1980). Another must have is the Perfect shot by ?? name slipped me as I have loaned mine out. This book covers all anatomy of african animals and comes in a cheaper smaller field version.

I know I'm about to get raked over coals for my Capstick comments but this is the truth. If you want to read fiction and hair raising accounts of worst case scenarios for excitement then they may appeal to you.
hunt it

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
I have three Capstick books and enjoyed reading all three. He was a PH himself, maybe there was a little jealousy there. Anyway, Capstick has a great writing style and I am sure you would enjoy them.

Offline BrianK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
I have also read several of Capsticks books and I didn't think it was fiction. His wife has also written a book on woman hunters.

Have a look at Zimbi Books who have a range of books on hunting, stooting etc.

http://www.zimbibooks.com/

The South African magazine Man Magnum, while for rifle hunters and firearms also has some great stories. Even though I don't rifle hunt I can't wait for this mag every month

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
Check Amazon, of course.  Joseph is right on about the old reprints Capstick edited, a good way to pick up old books that you could never find or would cost big money.  

Another great writer of hunting and nature stories was James Corbett, his stuff is all India, but is fantastic big game hunting through the eyes of a true naturalist.

My FAVORITE hunting book of all time (and I have a decent library) is "Heart of the Hunter" by Edison Marshall.  His book deals with big game hunting around the world, including Africa, and also includes trips to AK and the Canadian North as well as SE Asia.  Really the story of a lifetime of hunting.  #1 best outdoor writer I've ever read.  Wish we had some like him around today.

Ryan

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
Oh yeah, and as far as Capstick goes...

I think he was a great writer, told a very exciting story.  As to the truth or not, I don't have information to comment on that.  It is hard to believe anyone could come that close to getting killed SO many times, though  ;) .

Keep in mind, however, that many writers, including many archery writers today, don't necessarily let the facts stand in the way of a good story.  That's called poetic license.  Take a story for what it's worth...a good read.

Ryan

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I agree with Ryan! Jim Corbett is a good read. I have a first print of "Man-Eaters of Kumaon" and enjoy the stories. I also enjoy Don Thomas' writing style.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
I'd suggest a previously mentioned book in the "Double Helix" by Don Thomas and one that hasn't been mentioned and that is "Fred Bear's Field Notes". It's got quite a bit on Africa and is an excellent read! Hemmingway's "Green Field's of Africa" is also good once you get accustomed to his long sentences and style.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
Hi Nala,

I just recently read a book about a Zimbabwean Professional Hunter that ran a safari operation back in the 50's. It's called "A Guiding Son" by John Osbourne. I'm not sure how easily you will get it in the US, as I bought my copy in Zim, but if you can get hold of it, it's a real good read!  ;)     :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Ketzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Don`t forget "Sagittarius" and "In Africa" by Bob Swineheart!
On the 7th day god created the bow to allow us to defend ourselves against the wicked dinosaurs    ;)

Offline Rob Fin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
I agree with "hunt it" regarding Capstick. I read Death in the Long Grass" and I thought it was a collection of macho exagerations. I recently read "Searching for the Wild". I can't remember the author's name but it's available from 3 Rivers. It was a good story and also seemed to provide useful information. I have enjoyed "The Double Helix" several times and I can't resist reading "Green Hills of Africa" and "Horn of the Hunter" at least once every couple years.

Offline Iron/Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Granted some of Capsticks can shall we say embellish the moment but when your starved for anything written about Africa its a decent read, have them all and enjoyed them. Please Don T write another book about africa....
Like your Freedom.....Thank a VET.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
The first book about African hunting I ever read was "Hunter" by John Hunter.

I'm a big Elmer Keith fan, so the book "Safari" is a must.

Don Thomas' "Double Helix" is great and probably a must read for current day bowhunters heading to Africa.

Another great read is "Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter by Bell written about hunting in the late 1800's.
Lon Scott

Offline Steven Matthew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
I have read many, and can only echo that there are a few that are classics

Horn of the Hunter (is a hoot)
African Game Trails   Roosevelt
White Hunter     Herne
Capsticks writing: well, what has been said is the genral theme amongst those in Africa who seem to know.  Enjoy it if you want, and take it with a grain of salt.
More recent stuff like the Double Helix may get you closer to home but there is nothing like the really old stuff to amaze you

Enjoy   Steve

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
I'll second Horn of the Hunter.

Also read Bell of Africa.

Good stuff.
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
Good luck on finding a copy of "In Africa" by Bob Swinehart. I have one of two copies on earth on loan from a library in Oklahoma right now. It is a great book about Bob's quest for the Big Five back in the mid sixties. Not much writing but great photos. That man had a lot of courage.I also have Sagittarius coming the same way. I think Don Thomas is the best modern day author regarding Africa, "Double Helix" is a great read. Heading for Africa in June of 09.
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©