Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: average shot distance?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
average shot distance?
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
When hunting from a hide what kind of distances could I expect? I'm going next year and want to be as prepaired as possible. My PH said 25 yards max but I thought I'd ask some fellow trad people who have been there and done that.
Thanks.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: average shot distance?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
Visser's was 12-20 from the hides.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 03:53:00 AM »
My longest shot was 18 yards and my shortest was 8.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »
ya i would agree the longest shot would prob be about 25yards, more likely to be shooting a lot closer than that.
 Dependes how the hides are set up sometime the shots are a bit longer if the hides where set up with compounders in mind but not often.

where about's are you gonna be hunting?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Somewhere in Namibia.
I finally got an arrow setup for my 45# longbow that I think will work @ these distances.
I'm shooting full length (30") Gold Tip Ultralight Entrada 600 with a 100 grain brass insert and a 250 grain head for a total of 550 grains @ 30%FOC. They really fly like darts. Kudu will be the biggest thing I get. Do you guys think that'll be enough?
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Shortstroke,
What draw length do you shoot? That setup should be fine. IMO accuracy is the key! What broadheads are you going to be using?
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
My shots were all 20 yards and under but I can honestly say they were the toughest shots I ever took. The shooting windows give you a whole new look particularly when they place camo screen across them. I am telling you right now that a 20 yard shot at a kudu with $1500 on the line will shake you up. The best thing I did was cut out a big piece of cardboard   8"x18" and practice shooting through it. That will be similar to what you will be shooting through. Don't forget to put some camo screen on it as that gives you an entirely different look also. And remember, just because you have a 25 yard shot doesn't mean you have to take it. There are a lot of animals over there and sooner or later you will get the shot you feel comfortable with. Also, practice shooting with your bow canted as some of the blinds are fairly low. Good luck!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Leopard, I'm shooting 27 1/2". Ive been shooting the old Bear greenheads without bleeders but will probably switch to some Grizzlys before I go.
RL, canting the bow won't be a problem, I shoot the best with my bow @ 45 degrees or more. Was the camo tight or loose and did it seem to effect your arrow @ all?
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Shortstroke,
You should be fine with those specs. Are you planning on shooting zebra or wildebeest? Those would be the only 2 animals that I would worry about, as they are INCREDIBLY tough!  ;)  But IMO and from my experience, you're better off with a well placed shot out of a 40lb bow than a badly placed shot out of a 70lb bow. Are you planning on shooting anything bigger than a kudu or wildebeest? The only advice I can give you is that  you ensure your bow is well tuned, that you have practiced ecstensively, and that you set yourself comfortable limits, that you are consistently accurate at, and stick to!  ;)  Also, if you're hunting out of a hide, built yourself a "hide window" to practice out of I made one a few years ago out of plyboard). Shoot at many different distances thru the window and make sure your distance perception is accurate thru the window. Find out from your PH if the hides have camo netting on them. If they do, ask him if it would be possible to remove them if you don't want to shoot thru them, if not, then ensure that you practice shooting thru the same netting. I wish you luck and hope you enjoy it! Make sure you tell us about your trip!  ;)   :thumbsup:  I hope this has helped!

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline RL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Shortstroke,
The camo netting was tight. The PH just stretched a square section of it across the window and taped it with duct tape. Believe me, there was a world of difference with the camo netting. When the netting wasn't on I had to draw at the side of the window and then slowly move sideways for the shot. It through me out of my shooting rythym. I have a double bull blind so am used to shooting through the screen but it does take some practice. You can order the screen from Double Bull.  It has absolutely no effect on the arrow but it does give you a slightly different look. When the camo was in place I waved my hands at some impala that were only 10 yards away and they could not see me. The camo works best when the sun is reflecting off of it, when the netting is in the shade you have to be a little more careful. If I was going back again I would definitely take some with me as not all PH have it.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
As RL said wait for the shot you are comfortable with. I only shot one animal that was over 15 yards even thou most of the blinds were set up 20 yards from the water hole.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
All of my shots were under 20 yards although I did shoot a blesbuck at 43{my PH was very unsure about trad gear had to prove myself I did us all proud] Be patient let them get close and relaxed and you will be ok. RL has it correct when he says practice shooting from an enclosed blind when its dark inside and bright outside it plays mental games with your depth perception.
Jeff Couture

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©