Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Taxidermy Strategies  (Read 1442 times)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
Taxidermy Strategies
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
I'll be in Africa in 3 months and was trying to decide on European vs. shoulder mounts.  I don't have my "ranch" with gameroom yet, so was thinking of getting Euro's done on any skulls but having the capes/hides tanned so I can have mounts done later as I have the space to display them properly (an possibly, as I can afford them).

Anybody gone this route?  Hoping for gemsbok, kudu and impala for this route.  Zebra will be made into rug.  Could possibly have all this done over there.  Is it possible to have the whole hide/cape tanned?  Or does tanning just the capes work better?

Any thoughts appreciated.  Steve

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taxidermy Strategies
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Hi Steve,
I can't tell which way you should go, but I can show you a price list from Derek Robinson, Thabazimbi, RSA
  Derek Robinson Taxidermy

Derek and his staff are fine guys and run a high quality taxidermy. You should definately try to visit his plant if you happen to be hunting close to his place.
As far as I am concerned, the air fright and finally (our) customs, are a nightmare  :(  Any way to go around may be wise and what you've planed seems to be one way to me. "Dip-and-ship" may be an other one, to reduce costs and get about the same result ...

Offline groyce

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Steve,

I would highly, highly recommend Highveld taxidermy in Erasmia. Check out the website and contact Mary-Anne. she will give you a breakdown both ways. either having all mounts done over there and shipped or just dipped and shipped. I left everything there and had them do it. Price wise, it may have cost a couple hunder more, but i think well worth it. trophies were shipped in a crate to my door and were absolutley perfect. Also contact flora and fuana. they are a brokerage firm in NY where your trophies will arrived when shipped. This makes the customs process a no brainer.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Steve,

Best tannery in world for African hides is New Metheod fur dressing in San Francisco. Hides tanned wet or dry from New metheod will last forever if stored properly. Many folks do this and mount as can afford. There are many good taxidermists stateside so that is no issue. Just make sure you give the work to someone who does African stuff regularly and inspect some of their work ahead of time. A membership in SCI would provide you with many good taxidermists in US. Or ask someone that is a member to give you one of their magazines. If you pm me your address I'll send you the next issue. US. membership is $55.00 per year and currently Cabelas is giving out a $50.00 gift cert to any new member so for $5.00 it's a heck of a deal. In my experience African taxidermy is not on par with US. There are many many nightmare stories of wrong trophies and clients being hijacked for much higher rates come shipping time.
hunt it

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Hunt it,

Thanks for the thoughts...need to order from Cabelas anyway, would be worth joining SCI.

Steve

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Steve ,

I tried to reply to your pm but your mailbox is full bud. Anyways call SCI and ask for membership dept. Ask them about the Cabelas deal as I saw it in the last issue. If you have any problems let me know and I'll fix it up for you. I am a Life member and past Reginal Director, I know a few folks in the office.
hunt it

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Steve,
If you can afford to bring it all back like you are talking about, then afford the tanning fees, go for it. I brought back 7 trophies last year...I'm expecting "the call" any day now from my taxidermist. I have a thread a little further down outlining what I brought back and what I paid. I brought back the capes for Kudu, Gemsbok, and Bushbuck shoulder mounts and then the full capes for wildebeest and hartebeest to make rugs from later. I euro mounted the wildebeest, hartebeest and two impala. Definately find a good taxidermist here and plan things with him before you go.
Have fun!
Toby
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Who knew you could fill up your mailbox?

Thanks for the SCI info and the taxidermy thoughts...still have some decisions to make.  Steve

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Steve,

Give Jonas Bro's Zoological art a look. They mount your horns to a painted or unpainted bronze sculpture of the animal's head. I think it's pretty cool and is a neat alternative.

I'm going back to Africa next year and I'll probably get most things done using this method.

Here's a link:

http://www.jonasbrotherstaxidermy.com/zooart.shtml  

I'll post a picture of some of their work in a minute. I had an elk done with this method and it turned out real nice.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Here's a Zoological Art Kudu. I think the cost of elk mount I had done last fall was about $850. I won't even go into shipping since I paid by the size of the crate; and it was a big crate! I think if you had everything shipped there from Africa then crated and shipped to you when complete it wouldn't be too bad.

One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Lots of horror stories about having stuff done over there. Ask your self, is it worth the chance?
I say no. You can't run by there to see what's really up with your trophies, you're gonna hafta take whomevers word for it.
Too little you can do about any problems you may have if the stuff is overseas.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Steve....not sure if there's anyone closer to ya, but this guy has done some great work for me, including my buffalo.  He does a lot of African game.

He's in Bremen GA.....30 minuts east of atlanta right off I-20.

Click Here.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
If you want to get your capes tanned and mounted later,store the tanned capes in a freezer.They can be stored wet or dry.I store mine dry and they will last a long time.Out of the freezer,they have a shelf life and should be mounted in 1 to 2 years.After that,who knows?Every hide and every tan is different.A tanned hide may last forever if you want to only hang it on the wall.Rehydrating an old tanned hide and trying to apply it to a mannikin and get all the details to go where they need to go,is an entirely different thing.Many tanned hides,after several years,will fall to pieces if rehydrated.the freezer will keep them good till you are ready for them.Find a good taxidermist and listen to his recommendation for a tanner.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©