Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: 08 Melorani Reports  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 08 Melorani Reports
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
DAY EIGHT

After playing musical blinds – in the first I was unable to shoot (cant) my 62” recurve because the shooting windows were located at the corners, and in the second nothing showed for the morning – at noon I am now in the adobe termite hill-like blind that I shot my impala from on day three. With the large waterhole behind me, a number of warthogs, a medium-ish nyala bull and a few waterbuck come to drink. The big excitement was the appearance of two absolutely huge waterbuck bulls. I first spotted them while they were nearly 200 yards from the waterhole, which they took what seemed like forever to approach. I had been vacillating on whether to shoot a waterbuck if the opportunity presented itself, but the sight of these two made up my mind – waterbuck was now on the menu! Unfortunately, after drinking, they did not head to the salt block, but returned instead to the bush in the direction they had approached from.

The other big excitement of the day came when 3 giraffe, two of which were large bulls, came to the waterhole. After drinking they came to sample the salt block and fed in front of me for nearly an hour. It’s amazing how something so large can virtually disappear when they stand still among the trees!

At the end of the day the large sable herd came to drink, as did a big kudu bull.

Steaks from Terry’s zebra that he shot yesterday are on tonight’s menu.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
PS - I learned from Stewart that one of the hunters in the group that followed us shot a world record class waterbuck bull. I would not be surprised if it was one of the bulls that I saw on this day!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
DAY NINE

Back in the same blind I sat on day 2, hoping to get a shot at the big nyala bull I saw there. Not as much activity this morning, and the wind is starting to shift back and forth. A beautiful bull sable comes to drink, standing broadside/slightly quartering away at 10 yards! Sights like these have me thinking about sable on my next hunt.

CLICK!!!

The wind now is getting crazy, and more often than not it is blowing from the blind to the waterhole. I catch a movement 100 or so yards out in front of an animal moving from my right to left. It is the big nyala bull! He eventually stops and stares directly at the blind, and to my amazement, turns and starts heading straight towards me!!! There are no other animals at the waterhole or salt block to interfere with a shot, either. My heart is about to pound through my chest as I turn and reach for an arrow; after nocking it I look out the window to see my prize stop at 50 yards. All of a sudden he turns to his left and bolts – returning to the cover he came from. I don’t know if the wind screwed me over, or if it was the sound of my fletching brushing against the blind wall as a reached for the arrow (which I doubt). Regardless, he was gone and obviously would not be back shortly. This was the only time during my hunt that I felt such depression as I was now experiencing at this lost opportunity. With only another day to hunt, things were not looking good for taking an nyala.

Neil moved me to the “nyala blind” I sat on day 7 - the one where I was unable to get a shot at the big bull as he drank. That bull had come in at 1:40, and it was now 2:10, causing me to wonder if I had missed him. If he did come in that day, I indeed missed him as the sunset without any nyala sighting.
Jeff

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
Day 10

Monday, July 28th. Last day. Trying to keep a positive attitude. I’m satisfied with the two animals that I have, but yesterday’s depressing experience with the bull nyala was still heavy on my mind. Terry and Tina had earlier sat in the blind that I was going to occupy today - an elevated stand (about 12 ft) overlooking a small waterhole - and they assured me that they had seen a lot of animals, including nyala. As we drove out, the fields off to our left were absolutely lousy with impala, all racing around and crossing the road in front of us. Many very nice rams!

Once again, the wind started out variable. The first animals to appear were a sow warthog, followed by 5 or so gemsbok, slowly heading towards the waterhole in single file. Maybe my luck was about to change! The first 3 or 4 were clearly cows (thus off limits), but the 4th animal in line was a nice bull. Unfortunately, as this species (like zebra) is known to do, they all stopped and appeared to rethink the whole matter of continuing on to water. Don’t know if they winded me or not, but after 30 or so minutes, they drifted back into the bush. Hopefully they would return. Warthogs were continually approaching, including one very nice boar, however they would spook, circle, spook again, then leave. Although they were not necessarily coming in from downwind, if the wind shifted at all as they approached (which it did), they got very nervous and refused to come closer. After circling to approach from another direction, the whole process would repeat itself. Frustrating!

About 11:30 a big cow eland with one ear missing (ticks) and one deformed horn came to drink. After she left I sat back in my chair and started enjoying the moment. High noon, an nyala bull appeared almost as out of nowhere from beyond the far end of the waterhole. It took only a brief glance to confirm that he was a shooter! As I nocked an arrow and moved to the shooting window on the other side of the blind, he began to drink broadside at 18 yards. The arrow zipped through him in what was clearly a double-lung shot, hitting a rock and bouncing back under the bull towards the blind. He was gone in a split second. I could see that the arrow was covered in bright pink blood, and realized that I finally had my nyala. He went approximately 200 yards.

I climbed back into the blind around 12:50, after Neil and the tracker left with my nyala. I hear zebra braying in the distance behind me. These never showed, but shortly afterwards a large warthog approached from my right, but got nervous and left as the others had all done earlier. He repeated this a time or two. Looked like a warthog was not in my immediate future. A few kudu cows and a young bull visited the salt block, and warthogs continued to spook. At 2:20 a movement to the right caught my eye: it was the big warthog, and this time he was marching straight in. He stopped once or twice briefly in front of the blind, then proceeded to the waterhole to drink, not at the farthest point from the blind, but at the front of the waterhole and broadside to me! I got to the shooting window on the other side of the blind at about the same time that he started to drink. The 14-yard shoot looked low, and in fact I thought I missed him with all of the noise of arrow hitting rock and stone. He was gone in a flash. The arrow was laying several feet beyond where he had stood, and was covered with blood. I assumed that I had pierced his brisket, but upon examination of the arrow it was clear that it had passed through his lungs! The blood trail was immediate and profuse – gotta love those Woodsman BHs!!!

The last thing Stewart said to me before I climbed back into the blind - AGAIN - was that gemsbok often will return. However, with the exception of the return of the kudu cows and bull that had hit the salt block earlier, and a sow warthog with 3 little ones, the rest of the afternoon was quiet. At 5:15 I heard (big) animals approaching from behind me. Thinking that it might be the zebras I had heard earlier, I got ready. To my surprise, I was soon surrounded by at least 15 Cape buffalo. They entertained me for the next 40 minutes, leaving as the sun set and the sound of the approaching Land Cruiser grew louder.

What a day, and what a way to end a hunt of a lifetime!

Hope you all enjoyed.
Jeff

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Jeff,
I am sure I echo the sentiments of all who read this thread when I say thank you for sharing you hunt, your pictures and your trophies with us. Congratulations on a very successful hunt with several very beautiful animals and yes, even the one you wanted. I will be going with my friends next June to Stewarts place and can only hope I can do half as well.
Again thanks and congratulations!
Pip
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff, and well done on the pictures and trophies!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Owl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
Jeff,

I really enjoyed the story of your hunt. Very well done and well told!
Traditional Bowhunters of B.C.
Wild Sheep Society of B.C.
B.C. Wildlife Federation

Offline Steven Matthew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Beautiful and descriptive writing and just the right photos to make it extra fun to read.  Thank you for the time and effort that you put in to share this adventure with us.  I have had the pleasure to hunt RSA and it will be Namibia next year, so I will tell you that what I just read was very real and conveyed the excitement, the emotional highs and lows, and the unpredictabilty of hunting there.
I hope that anyone who plans on going gets a chance to read this.

steve

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
Amazing job Jeff and your shooting was fantastic! You couldn't have anticipated the arrow failure. Your aim was excellent! Wonderful trophies that will fill your apartment! : )

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »
well done Jeff, lovely pictures and a great read, just goes to show that patience is the key. You have to love those bright pink arrows laying in the dirt! Good shooting!I wonder how our friends Vince and Kevin are doing, they were pumped when I met them at the airport even after the long flight!
Chrisg

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words. If anyone wants more info on hunting at Melorani, please don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Jeff

Offline jerome ciclet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing Jeff.
It was a pleasant story for a great bowhunter.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
great stuff Jeff thanks for sharing! some nice animals you got there   :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
Great pics.. Did you try to stalk any game??  Neil recommended Melorani for me knowing I want to get out of a blind.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
John,

We were there the second half of July, and between being mid winter and the drought last year, the cover was really knocked back. Thus, stalking would have been pretty futile in my opinion (a lot of eyes and noses to fool). Of course, we never requested to get out and stalk, so there may have been some areas better suited for stalking that we would have been taken to. I did see some thicker cover on Stewart's new lease.
Jeff

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Looks like you had a superb trip. How did you handle the plane ride?  I am worried about being stuck on a tube for 20+ hours... This misery (esp. trying to get home)is the only thing that worries me about going.

John III

Compton Life Member #333

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »
Congrats on a great hunt and a very well told story with awesome pic's. Thanks for sharing.

CS

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
John,

I dreaded the flight to Jo'Burg as well, but it was actually not that bad. We took Delta's "direct" flight to Jo'Burg, which makes a 1-hr or so stop in Dakar (about half way) to exchange about a dozen passengers, restock the galley, refuel (I assume) and change their flight crew. You don't even get off the plane. Don't recall the airplane make and model, but it had the 2-3-2 seat format. Plenty of food and drink, and there was a movie monitor on the back of each seat with plenty of material to watch. I think my buddy and his wife watched all of the movies they had to offer on the trip over. Unfortunately, they have the same ones on the return flight! Between the movies, a book and my iPOD I did fine. I don't think I slept more than 20 minutes on the return trip, but somehhow time passed.
Jeff

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
PS - The Delta flight to Jo'Burg (#34) originates in Atlanta.
Jeff

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Thank again, Jeff.  I know I will have to get through a long flight if I make the trip to Africa. I really hate being in a blind, I feel like I'm in a "cell" and not in the wild when inside a man-made blind. I also know that stalking over there will be a TEST (lol) but I want to try... Of course I will sit a blind if need be. Hunting both methods is a bonus.

John III

Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©