Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back from Namibia (Finally finished!)  (Read 6038 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back from Namibia (Finally finished!)
« on: July 14, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
What a week!

Left to right... Andy Lovell (compound shooter) Allan Ivy, Me, Andy Ivy (Tradtusker) & James Dickinson (Tradman 25)

Such an abundance of game, Great food, great companions, stunning scenery, awesome hunting. What more could you want!?!
If you've ever thought of hunting in Africa, just do it! Raid the kids collage fund, (The world has enough Doctors & Lawyers!) forget the mortgage, (Who doesn't enjoy camping?) sell the car (a walk'll do you good!) Namibia is worth it all & more!
We booked a 7-day hunt through Piet Mostert & Lukas Holtzhausen at Africa-Jag Safaris   WEBSITE  after a recommendation from Rob Burnham (Paleface) The service from everyone was utterly First Class.
Piet came & picked us all up from the Airport in Windhoek & drove us the 3-1/2hrs to the Bushcamp.
Well, the bushcamp was really not what I expected! I was thinking about rough shacks at best, tents at the worst. Oh no. Here you get a lovely thatched Rondavel with en-suite bathroom/shower, wardrobes, soft beds (not that you spend much time in them!) & plumbed in electrickery! Better than a lot of hotels I've stayed in! All the camp staff, guides, trackers & skinners/butchers were on hand for introductions & to help us all get settled in.

First job of the trip was to set up the bows, get changed into hunting clobber & go shoot a few practice arrows. Once everyone was satisfied that their arrows were flying true & long-haul-flight-cramped-muscles were adequately stretched, off we went to the hides for a short afternoon hunt......
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Namibia (Finally finished!)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
Alright ya British redneck, get on with the story and pics,LOL. Glad ya had a good time.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:39:00 AM »
This is the initial view out of the first blind I hunted; Langkrupp...

And a few minutes later...

"Well", I thought, "This is gonna be a cinch" Ummmmm, not quite that easy. These are only babies! Everything everyone tells you about African game is true. IT'S FRIKKIN' HUGE!!
I didn't get a shot on the first evening, but I had the privelege of watching a beautiful cow-Kudu come in to within 30yds. Kudu are scarce this year due to a terrible outbreak of Rabies amongst the herds. Only one 'trophy' Kudu bull was seen all week (I'll let James tell you about that one when he gets back  :rolleyes:   :D  )

"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
The first afternoon was just a taster of things to follow over the next few days. Just at dark, Piet (my PH for the night) called the 'backie' (pick up) to come & collect us from Langkrupp & take us back in. We walked out onto the track & looked back into the setting sun to see a massive Gemsbok bull, staring at us from around 200yds. It was too dark for a photo, but we stood & observed him for 10 minutes or so. He would return to taunt & finally haunt me, later in the week.....
Dinner that night was prepared by the Most Wonderful Camp Cook In The World, Dina. Huge ribeye steaks & juicy, unctuous mutton chops serves with Pap & sugar. Sublime!

Friday morning saw us up for coffee & rusks at 05:30 & into blinds by 06:15. Again, I hunted with Piet (the guys tend to put the least experienced hunters with the most experienced guides & PHs) this time at a pit blind, aptly named Kudupost. We had a few 'hunting companions'...

Tokay Geckos were everywhere! Bitey little buggers they are too, but cute as heck!
At 07:00 we had a visit from a young Springbok doe. Too small to shoot, but amazing just to see so close. She nosed around at the salt-lick, within 8 yards from my trembling hands!
Whew! What a rush  :D  
We were constantly surrunded by Grey Louries ('Go Away' birds) Namaqua sandgrouse, Cape doves, collared doves, finches & thse little fella; Shaft-Tailed Wyddah....

We were also visited by a HUGE Silver Goshawk...

Okay, now I'm going to attempt to post a short video. This nice sized, boar Warthog came into the water at 10:00. Piet told me he was a shooter, if I wanted him. "If I want him?!?!" Well, you don't go all the way there just to look...

I'll apologise in advance, there's a Swear Word at the end of the clip. Sorry. If I knew how to edit it out, I would've but this is all new to me!

As you can probably tell, it wasn't a 'perfect' hit.

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
Good stuff Rob. Keep it comin'. Don't worry 'bout the swear word....it's just a legal term that originated in the British court system.   :saywhat:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  That's funny Ric probably true though!

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
We decided to let the hog bed down for a few hours & go back out & track him in the afternoon.
We calld up the backie & went in for a very nerve-tensing brunch.
As we got back into the bushcamp, James came running up full of excitement. He'd made a perfect shot on a big boar Baboon. Unfortunately, by the time we'd got there the skinners had finished their work & I couldn't get a hero shot,although I'm sure James has one or two  ;)  It's going to make a stunning full-skull mount with perfect, unbroken teeth.

1:00 came around & Piet gathered up two of the trackers (Tokis & Aseer) to help look for my hog. Well, stone me. After fretting & fussing over the possibility of aloooong walk, the guys found him laid out 60 yds from the water. The big 1-7/8" Silverflame having severed the main artery under the spine! Turned out that this would be the first of three very lucky, not-quite-perfect shots...

We dragged him out to the truck & carried him away to the skinning shed. Score four nice knife handles for Rob!  :D

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
After dropping Puumba off with the skinners, Piet took me back out for a short(ish) stalk.
I didn't pack my camera for this (like an idiot!)
but take my word for it; I really, really wish I had.
We made 3 different stalks on Gemsbok (they saw us at 30yds) Eland (20 yds, behind a big bush) & Mountan Zebra (Just changed direction & caught our wind at 12yds!!!) I didn't think my heart coul take much more! Luckily (!) it started to get too dark to safely be walking around in the bush so we madeour way back into camp, bumping into an unsuspecting Aardwolf on the way. We sat & watched him stalking around for a few minutes, until a Jackal yipped & startled it away.
Man! What a day! Allan scored his first Warty of the trip too. There was lots of joking around in the camp that night, at my expense. Jules' (The Wife) last words before I departed still ringing in my ears, "I don't mind you hunting, you know I don't, but you're not shooting any wartys!"
Much Jaegermeister, Brandy & Coke & Tafel beer was imbibed & we crawled/staggered/were carried off to a short but welcome night's slumber.

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
As you may have gathered, James, Andy & Allan are still over in Africa. Allan should be home in a couple of weeks & we've told him to come & show his pics on here (He's a professional photographer) James & Andy are gonna be home at the end of August after a few weeks working on the Ivy Safari farm in South Africa. They'll both chime in as soon as possible. I just couldn't hold off for much longer!  :D

PBS & TBT Member

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Man oh man....give us some more... good job!

Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
Saturday saw me out with a different PH. A young, but very, very experienced guy named Gert (pronounced Ghgherrrt. Kinda like the sound you make when you accidentally half-swallow a fly. You get the idea)
He took me for the morning out to an elevated blind called Rhoypost.

Now I'm a fairly quiet guy. Don't do a lot of talking 'specially when I'm hunting. Gert is my polar opposite! You couldn't pay the guy to shut up (If there's no gam around. If there is, he's all business) Well, we hit it off like best buddies! A nicer guy I have never met. We spent the rest of the week joking & making fun of each other like a couple of six-year-olds!   :D  

I digress.....

Rhoypost is a unique blind, in that it looks out over two waterholes. Kinda handy for all wind directions!
Waterhole 1....

And 2....

We had a quiet morning. Several small wartys came for a drink, we heard Jackals yipping behind us & I got my first glimpse at the most frustrating creature in Africa....

Hmmmmmm, Guinneafowl 2 : Rob 0

Gert on arrow-retrieval duty...

*HINT* If you're thinking of hunting Africa & have the chance at Guinneas, take lots (& lots & lots & lots) of old arrows & crappy broadheads. A blunt won't stop 'em & you'll kick yourself if you only have a 4-arrow bow quiver & forget to pack your back-quiver. Ask me how I know   :rolleyes:

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Great story Rob...plus some excellent pic's!!! Can not wait to hear the rest.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
Those guinea fowl sure are good eating  :thumbsup:  But such noisy targets! Great story keep it up!!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Excellent stuff, Rob! Lookin' forward to the rest of it.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »
LOL  Lovin every minute of it!!  Keep em coming Bro.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »
We had a few short journeys out of the blind (arrow retrieval, warming up etc..) that morning. Speaking of warming up, it's the middle of winter in Namibia right now, so mornings & evenings the temp dropped to freezing or below! Brrrrrrr.....

Once again, we took the 11:15 backie in for brunch (toast with apricot jam, cheese, fried egg & boerwurst. All in one mouthful. Wierd.) & found out the James had shot & recovered a beautiful Red Hartebeest (Again, he'll have to post his own pics)
In the afternoon Gert took Andy Lovell & I over to a second farm called Sopienhoff. Andy had gone over specifically to try & get himself a Dik-Dik & there had been more sightings here than anywhere else. We took our turn in the back of the backie, letting Tokis & Gert have a more comfortable journey...

This would be Andy's home for the next couple of days; Mittelpost...

With a lower option...

Both overlooking the same water hole.

I would be posted a little further down the road at Farpost...

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
The view from Farpost...

Again, Farpost is an elevated blind, roughly 20yds from the closest edge of the water & specifically placed with bowhunters (& more recently modified to better serve we traditionalists) in mind. Soon we were at a horrendous score of;

Guinneafowl 5 - Rob 0

Many choice words & heathen invectives were launched Guinnea-wards that afternoon!

Gert has a simple rule regarding guinneas; If you want to shoot nothing but fowl, that's fine. If you want to shoot anything else, stop playing with the birds at 2:30 & let them bring other stuff into the water. Wise words indeed.(from the lanky wingnut   ;)  )
Right on cue (2:30) we had a group of 3 Black Wildebeest spotted at 300yds & hopefully making their way to us. A half hour later, seven Black Wildebeest & a small, 30" or so Gemsbok came in to the water. There was a little to-ing & fro-ing between the Big Bull Wildebeest & the Gemsbok. Very cool to watch, but not too calming fro the rest of the herd! Both animals came to a grudging truce, with the Wildebeest giving me a excellent 28yd broadside shot. I took it. It was pure poetry. The pink fletched, Magnus tipped shaft whipping toward the perfect heart/lung placement & giving a swift, dignified & honourable end to this noble Patriarch....

Unfortuntely, the sodding thing wasn't there when the arrow landed    :mad:    It had performed an end-switch that would have left the most gunshy Texas Whitetail wondering what was going on & got itself skewered in the ass. Luckily this wasn't videoed as nobody wants to see a 'Gnusickle' Despite the 'Bum' shot, there was a LOT of blood coming from the Bull & Gert & I both agreed that it looked like a lucky femoral artery shot (2 of 3, remember) We elected to leave it an hour & go see what had happened...

Much hand-wringing & nail-gnawing later (This is a $1000 trophy fee animal, & a bloody good specimin!) we jumped down from the stand & made a start finding his spoor. There was good, if sporadic, blood leading us into an acacia thicket. We unfortunately bumped the Bull right at sunset, with the sun in our eyes, preventing a follow up arrow, or rifle shot from Gert (Which I'd told him to take, if he got the chance.)
The only cool part of the whole stalk being that we managed to get very upclose & personal with a herd of Giraffe, without even realising it! How in God's name do you NOT see a 18' tall Giraffe, standing 20yds away! Honestly   :rolleyes:  

We decided that the best course of action was to retire for the night & come back in the morning with a couple of Bushmen.
We drove back down to Mittelpost & found Andy looking as sick as a dog. It turned out that he'd shot his Buck Dik-Dik at 18yds & it had jumped, spun & run off, leaving virtually no track, little spoor & very bad blood.
If you can imagine for a moment, a Dik-Dik is tiny. I mean Rabbit-size tiny. A HUGE, old buck may weigh as much as 9 pounds. It has feet the size of your pinky fingernail.

Andy shot it with a 500gn, Silverflame tipped carbon shaft from a 90# Bowtech (300fps, minimum) & it still managed to jump the string. Now Andy is one of the finest field archers in England & if says he was certain of the hit, then you can bet he's right. He'd tracked the animal, along with Tokis until it was too dark to see & decided the same as Gert & I, to back out a return in the morning...

I don't recall much of the drive back to camp, or indeed that night. Andy & I were sharing a rondavel & spent the entire night either awake & feeling sick with worry, on in a fitful, nightmare laden sleep. Andy probably more so than I, knowing that his Dik-Dik (another $1000 trophy) could be easily carried off & eaten at leisure by any number of nocturnal carnivores; Jackal, Spotted & Brown hyena, Aardwolf, Civets, Caracal, Leopard & Cheetah. All are in residence. Not a feat so easily managed by my Wildebeest.

We anxiously awaited the dawn.

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Rob, you are killin me here,LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Come on Rob......give it up. It's well past dawn, let's hear what happened. I've got my   :coffee:  and I'm impatiently waiting.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
i can see this going as long as the bear quest thread. LOL

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©