Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Back from Namibia (Finally finished!)  (Read 6044 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back from Namibia (Finally finished!)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Oh, go on then. Since you asked nicely!

We managed to get a bit of a lie-in on the Sunday morning. There's no point trying to follow blood & spoor in the dark.
By 09:00 we were back at Sophienhoff. Andy, Gert, Tokis, Timu, Sarel & I. We decided that as my Wildebeest should be easier to recover, Andy & Tokis would stay & try & find his Dik-Dik while th rest of us would quickly run off & grab my Bull. Well, Gert (the big lug) told me to pack very light, just bringing my bow, arrows & water & ready myself for a day-long hike. So no camera then. Bugger.

I'd taken a GPS locationof the last blood we'd found the previous evening. Huge waste of time. The trackers, with neither prompt nor direction, wandered straight out into the bush & straight into the bloodtrail. Honestly, I'd never have believed it if I hadn't seen it! We faithfully followed the trail (I just stayed well out of the way, feeling totally un-nescesarry) for 30 minutes, crossing back & forth over the dirt track until both guys just stood & pointed.
There he was!!! He'd managed a grand distance of around 1/2 a mile. The arrow had severed the Femoral artery in his right-rear leg, continued on into his gut & nicked the rear of his right lung!
I had my first antelope species down! I honestly felt like I could fly, run a marathon & then fly home. I was elated! Handshakes were offered & received & Gert ran off to fetch the truck. We loaded him up & went to help Andy. In the back of the backie I couldn't help but marvel at this beautiful, if odd looking, creature. From the hide, he'd looked huge with small horns. From the ground his body was tiny (compared to the more common Blue wildebeest) & his head looked immense!

We got back to Mittelpost to find Andy still dejected, downtrodden, downcast & generally really, really pissed off. Lucas had arrived from the other farm to help out & had only found a Guinnea that Andy had shot & lost the day before.
We gathered around the backie & everyone congratulated me on my trophy & commented on it's horn-size. Bouyed up by my good news, we all got back to Andy's bloodtrail.
It looked like the tiny antelope had run a full circle & dissappeared. The trackers stood at the last blood lookingtotally bewildered. Certainly something had come in the night & carried off the Dik-Dik. As an inexperienced stooge, I backed out of the way & let the trackers start circling, grid searching & casting around for any spoor. All they found were Caracal & Jackal tracks. Not good. Not good at all.

Whilst standing around, feeling as helpless as a kitten, I started looking around, to see what I could see. Twigs. Dry leaves. Grass. Twigs, Bloodspot. Gra.. wait. WHAT!!! I called for the trackers, assuming that they'd probably seen this spot & being prepared to be made to feel like a fool. Timu & Sarel came up & started talking very quickly in Bushman (lots of chirps & clicks. Amazing!) Shaking me by the hand & diving headlong into thorn bushed. Apparently I'd just found the thing! Well, I was damned if I could see it, but sure enough not 5 yards away lay a perfectly unmolested, intact & perfectly shot Dik-Dik.
Andy was close to tears with relief, Lucas & Gert were both overjoyed & Tokis thought it was hilarious!

Andy reverentially carried the tiny animal out to a clearing for photos (No camera for me, remember   :mad:  ) and promptly pulled out a 35mm rig. So now I can have the photos & I'll gladly show 'em all to you. I just need to wait until Andy gets 'em developed   :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:  

We took 2 full rolls of film, one each of me & my Wildebeest & Andy & his Damara Dik-Dik. Lucas (an S.C.I. Measurer) got busy with his tape measure & assuredus both that we'd just shot SCI top 10 animals, Andy's probably taking the number 1 spot for bow-killed Damara Dik-Dik!  :clapper:  

We had a good half hour of back-slapping, handshaking, laughing & playing around at this point. The pressure was off & we could finally relax. Lucas came over & told me that Sarel (a 65 year old Native Bushman) had been admiring my Morrison. Well, any excuse for a stumpshoot! I gave Sarel the bow & let him go nuts shooting at trees, bushes & lumps of dirt. Quite possibly the funniest experience of my life! He was expecting something similar to the short Bushman bows he'd grown up with (25# at most!) not a 57# bow! His pride refusedto let him give in though, until he'd hit something! I think he actually managed a 12" draw, at one point, before nearly blacking out with the effort! Tokis & Timu were, by now, completely incapacitated with mirth. Tears in their eyes, rolling on the floor, nearly choking with laughter!
Sarel finally turned & handed me the bow, making the 'universal Strongman' gesture (stand up straight, arms out, flex biceps & go "Grrrrrrr") before collapsing into fits of giggles himself.

What a morning & still half a day left to play with!

And a very entertaining afternoon it was, too.....
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Great so far Rob, congrats on the fine wart piggy and wildebeast. I can just see the smile on Andy's face when they found hid Dik Dik with your help of course.

Locals sure get a kick out of hunters using bows. Funiest thing I remeber was getting ready to fling a few arras at a target and they all gathered around. Just as I was about to let fly I turned around to see them all standing there with their fingers in their ears expecting bow to maske same sound as gun. It was funny as heck.

Keep on with the great story telling. You have been paying attention to Mr. Lamb and JC's story telling abilities. We don't want to wait till Andy gets back to hear all your adventures, he'll have a fresh batch by then.
hunt it

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Funnily enough, during my quick break I've had this EMail through from Piet...

"Hi Rob

I hope you all are well. Just a short note to say we enjoyed it to hunt with you guys. At this stage your Black Wildebeest is nr two or three in Namibia. We will have to wait for the dry out period of three months before we can enter it. Will keep you up to date once the entry is on the Namibian top ten. Andy’s Did Dik will be nr one, as there is no other entries in the bow section. If you come back some day I will give an Oryx for free.

Best Regards

Piet"

How cool is that then!
  :clapper:    :clapper:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
That afternoon we had an amazing array of game, almost to within range. Unfortunately we had badly swirling winds that kept everything away from us.

There were;
2 Blue Wildebeest, a male Steenbuck, A really big, muscular, old Gemsbok buck (Who's horns were worn down to a judged 34"!) 2 male Duiker, a female Steenbuck, 3 red hartebeest, several wartys & a small kudu bull.
All came to within 40yds, stopped, sniffed about for a short while & then retired to a safer distance. Hugely entertaining & equally frustrating!  :banghead:    :banghead:  

Everyone else had had far better luck!
Andy Lovell scored a perfect double-lung shot on a big old Cow Eland at Mittelpost, James had taken a Cow Eland that morning from Langkrupp, Andy Ivy had a red Hartebeest on the ground & Allan had 2 Hartebeest to track the next morning! A very busy day for all hunters! ('cept me   :(     ;)     :D  )

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
The next day (Monday) saw me hunting with Joram (Camera clamped firmly in-hand!) out at Two-Dams, another elevated blind.

Joram in his 'Early Morning Wear'...

The view from Two-Dams...

The ever present 'Go Away' birds...

And the bloody Guinneas (who, by now were storming ahead at ridiculous lead of 7-0. The swines!)

We had a fairly uneventful morning. A few small Springbok came in to water, along with a group of small piggies, but there was nothing big enough to shoot. The highlight of the morning was getting to share an intimate moment with a Yellow Hornbill (Flying Banana!) at around 3 feet!...

PBS & TBT Member

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
Rob you've got me itchin to get off my butt and book a trip to Africa!

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
Great story, thanks for sharing.  Looking forward to more.

James

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »
Fabulous tale Rob, was it as beautiful as I said? Wonderful country, friendly people, clean, few people, lots of animals and birds. Them Guineas are champs at the water hole jive!You take great pics and tell a marvellous story thanks for sharing.
chrisg

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
Ok Rob, it is time to get up and get on here and finish this story, this waiting 24 hours between posts is getting old,LOL.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 07:29:00 AM »
tap,tap,tap,tap   :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
Rob,

Did you ever eat any guineas? We had a bunch cooked up one night in Zim and they tasted awful to say the least. Do you have any snake stories??
hunt it

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Sorry guys, had the family round all day!
No Dave,we never managed to shoot enough guinneas or a meal!  :D  Too cold for the snakes too.

Right, back to it.

The afternoon was only slightly less eventfull than the morning. We had a move to another blind, Neupost...

One thing we saw and heard a lot of was these little fellas...

The finches were turning up to the water in vast numbers! There were so many, that at one point enough of them landed in a Mopani tree to snap off a 6" branch! Jorem told me that they're commonly known as 'Locust Birds' due to the amount of damage they do to crops each year, just by landing on them! They're controlled by dynamiting the flocks as they land in a tree. Apparrently.

The only other game we saw was right at last light. 2 Blue Wildebeest came to the water & immediately started sneezing, snorting & generally creating merry hell!

Back in for beers & supper, we were treated to Piet's Award Winning Elnd fillet steaks. In Namibia they hold Braai competitions similar to the BBQ cookouts y'all are used to in the US. Piet is the reigning National Champion & we got to sample his 'secret' recipe. Mmmmmmmm good! It was simply the tastiest, most succulent meat I have EVER eaten (I packed away a lot that night!  ;)  )

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Tuesday, very early (who knew there were TWO 4 o'clocks in the day?!) saw Piet& I back to Langkrupp to try & find a Eland. Looking at the spoor around the water, we'd either scared them away with the backie, or just missed them by a few minutes   :readit:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Well stone me! I hit him perfectly at the top of the heart, through both lungs, with the Woodsman tipped MFX landing 2yds or so past him, in the sand... We stood & watched him spring & pronk a whole 30feet bfore piling up behind a bush. I must confess, I went a bit 'Fred Eichler' at that point. Lot's of jumping up & down, punching the air etc. Not very English gent at all.
We thought it best to let the rest of the herd move off under their own steam, rather than spooking them, when suddenly Piet grabbed me by the shoulder & clamped a hand over my mouth...

PBS & TBT Member

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
Rob I hope their is more SOON.

doug77

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
...he's milkin' this one like a Jersey cow....  :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Just waiting for another video to upload to photobucket. The durn things take forver!

PBS & TBT Member

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
looks like we will have to make some popcorn

doug77

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 04:08:00 AM »
Oh balls to it! You'll have to do without until I can get it sorted.

This part two...

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 04:29:00 AM »
Part one was the bloody HUGE 36" Bull Gemsbok that came in to water & got itself shot, buuuut photobucket's playing silly beggars so you'll just have to imagine for a while.

Piet pointed off to my Left & whispered "Oryx" a sure enough, a good Bull had begun circling the water, checking the wind to see if he was safe.
He came right in, cautiously bobbing, circling & twitching before finally taking a tentative sip. He remained slightly quartering towards me for a few minutes, with his foreleg cocked & his elbow covering his vitals. I waited & waited for the 'right' moment. This was 'The' animal I'd come to Africa for. I'd seen him on my first evening (remember?) & here he was.
He lowered he elbow & stepped back, then drooped hishead for another drink, I slowly came to full draw & settled at anchor.
I'll admit, I was still trying to control the adrenalin hit from the Springbok of 5 minutes earlier, on top of this second hit & was shaking like a guilty dog. I came down again & tried to regain a little of my ragged composure....
Arm up, string drawn & cheekbone touched, the arrow was away! NOOOO! TOO FAR BACK!!!!!
The excitement had thrown me & I made a poor shot. Too low. Too far back (You'd see on the video, I was 6" low & 6" right. classic short-draw symptom)
The Oryx leapt through the fence, as soon as it heard the string & then jogged out to 60yds, stopped, turned & looked straight back at us. He turned & walked majestically off into the bush, apparently none the worse for our encounter! I recoverd my arrow from the sand -the 210gn Silverflame having performed flawlessly- & gave it a close inspection. Nothing was present to show that it had ever been shot through an animal! There was a very feint 'animal' smell to it, certainly not guts but at the same time there was no blood either. We decided to leave it a few hours & track it later...

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
FINALLY got it up onto Youtube!...

PBS & TBT Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©