Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Leaving Fri the 22nd  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
Leaving Fri the 22nd
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Leaving Fri for my first trip to mother Africa. For you guys that have been there whats the one odd item that you wish you would have brought or the one "regular" item that just used-up space in your luggage?
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaving Fri the 22nd
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
BRETTO!! just kidding, hope You have the time of Your life.

How was the shoot last weekend? had everything packed to go but My plans got changed last minute. Always a great shoot. See You next year.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
A cushion for the chair in the blinds would've been nice.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Shoot went well, hard to concentrait on the shoot with this trip so close. We had great weather and pretty good attendance, auction did well. Hope to see you next year!
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
Hi Vince, good luck for your trip. I tend to take too many clothes, but what you need to take is camera batteries and a notebook. Journals are a good way of keeping track of what you did each day because hundreds of photos will need captions! Reference books are handy but your guide might have some. Enjoy, we are having a phase of cloud and damp air circulating over NE South Africa. A spring system. Day temps are down to mid teens (celcius) but when the sun comes back it will warm up.
chrisg

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Thanks Chris. I've got my journal packed and I bought "The Perfect Shot" book. Not a whole lot of plains game in it though.
I've got two camera batteries, one regular and one extended life.
A wool shirt wouldn't be a bad idea?
 A friend of mine hunted with Marco in July and he took a 56" Kudu, what a beautiful creature!
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline storm5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lonesome Wind:
Thanks Chris. I've got my journal packed and I bought "The Perfect Shot" book. Not a whole lot of plains game in it though.
I have posted this in the shot placement topic. This is the best guide I have found on African game.
 http://www.kznhunters.co.za/site/PropertyCatalogue.asp?Cat=206

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
I packed too many clothes, most just stayed in my bag; daily laundry service is pretty common, though they won't be using scent-free soap. Also, forget a lot of the extra pieces of equipment and bric-a-brac you would normally take on a guided hunt, like the extra knife (a Leatherman tool is more appropriate, as you won't be doing any of the knife work!), 2nd flashlight, GPS, etc. Make sure you have a pair of binoculars and a reliable camera. I took too many books and wildlife guides that I never even cracked open (just extra weight). Needn't get fancy with your boots either, a good pair of mid hikers are perfect. Save that extra space in your luggage for souvenirs. Don't go crazy with heavy clothing, just a good vest or warm fleece jacket and cap for the mornings and evenings. I dressed in light insulated underwear (top and bottom) each day, with a light pair of camo pants and shirt over them. This was fine for trips to and from the blind and in the blind, but very warm in the mid-day sun, which is very intense. Also, bugs were non existent in the Norwthwest Province a month ago (except for ticks in the grass, which you'll probably spend very little or no time in if your blind hunting). I was in a blind all day except to retrieve animals, so the sunscreen I carted over (that everyone said I'd need) was a waste of needed space and luggage weight. Most of all, have fun - it's the most rewarding hunting experience you probably will ever have!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
I word of advice on shot placement - stay below the horizontal midline on wildebeest, or you'll be sorry, no matter what broadhead you're using!!!!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
Thanks Jeff & Storm,
I've already overpacked! Good to hear about the bugs. I'll check out the shot placement guide you sent Storm.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Good advice there, I would take a wool shirt alternatively just remember the 'light' jacket needs to be wind proof if your are going to be doing any riding in the back of a vehicle in the dawn air,it's mighty chilly.Jeff is right, middle of the day is hot. A big kudu is one of those 'apparitions'! They appear out of the bush like smoke and are so big, gets your adrenaline going nicely!  Yup the wildebeest, he's a tough customer. On our recent hunt our group took 3, all double lung, and lost one quartering away only took one lung and in spite of LOTS of blood they never found it. Remember, the heart lies a little further back than the other plains game and the spine dips far down near midline. Marco knows his stuff, you will have a ball. If you like stars once this cloud clears it will be amazing. Friday is forecast to be clear.
chrisg

chrisg

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
Love stars Chris. I'm really looking forward to this trip.
How big are the wildebeest? Kinda got my heart set on gemsbok and kudu but a wildebeest might be interesting.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Goosebuster46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
Hey! Vince, Watchout for those long legged zebras. Marco might have a CD for me, if you could bring it back. Have a great trip and say HI to Gerhart for me.  Ken

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »
Male wildebeest range from 400-600lb and stand 4'6" -5' at the shoulder. Females up 500lb. A cornered blue wilde is not a nice person, blue wildebeest are also known as the 'poor man's buffalo' for good reason.
Of course a chance at a good kudu or gemsbok should not be missed, the gemsbok is another great animal and just as tough as the wilde! Take heavy arrows! Enjoy the stars.
chrisg

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 07:02:00 AM »
I'm shootin 620gr footed ash and adding 370gr of broadhead to it. I'm good out to 20yds after that the 61lb bow has alot of drop!
What's the deal with warthogs? Everyone I've talked to talks about how many are lost, just that tough? Their kill zone doesn't look abnormally small, straight up the front leg low in the chest right?
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
I've only shot one, but he went 200 yards bleeding (pardon the pun) like a stuck pig. Hit him low, just behind the elbow, from an elevated blind. Turned out to be a double-lung shot. Kill zone is probably that of a small whitetail doe. I found, on 3 of my 4 animals (4th was a higher double-lung shot on an nyala), that you can kill them very fast hitting them low (lower than I would shoot a deer), hitting lung and/or heart. Lower and further forward (not much though)is better than high on most African plains game. My arrows were 725-gr footed hexpine shafts with Wensel Woodsman BHs, shot out of a 66# Schafer Silvertip recurve. All shots were 15-21 yards.

Jeff

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
That's a great warthog Jeff! Hope I can do as well as you did.
 That's where I've been practicing, low & forward.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Iin truth I wasn't actually aiming there on my impala, warthog and kudu (but about 3" higher), but it's nice to know that you can come out on top if you hit low. Have a great trip!
Jeff

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
My dad always said he'd rather be lucky than good!
Thanks Jeff
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Warthogs have the fastest reflexes imaginable. That is why so many are lost, you don't hit them where you aimed if they hear or see anything. Their kill area is small and forward. I have a close friend who has shot well over a hundred (seriously!) He was a farm manager and they wrecked the irrigation systems so he w&s them with a compound. He once shot a quartering towards pig but when he slaughtered it out the arrow was inside, facing the wrong end! Hit right they run like fury and can cover 200 yds in their death run.
chrisg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©