Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Leaving Fri the 22nd  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaving Fri the 22nd
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
I certainly second the bit about their reflexes!!! Mine actually was pretty calm and the only one I saw that drank at a site at the waterhole closest to the blind, and one of the few that drank broadside instead of facing the blind. After the hit, a complete pass through, he was completely gone in a split second. It all happened so fast I actually thought I had shot under him, with all the noise of the arrow hitting dirt and rock, but the blood-covered arrow laying on the ground said otherwise!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
A good sign! This is how the arrow landed, about 4 feet beind where he had been standing.

Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
You guys are getting me all pumped-up! 2 days & I'll be there. My longbow is reeeaaal quiet, better be with those arrows. Anything I can take with equipment I made will be an absolute thrill.
Chris, are you anywhere near where I'll be?
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Jeff, what was the elevated stand like? Should I take a harness? I know Marco has treestand locations but I don't know what the stands consist of.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
No. There was a tree stand or two at Melorani Safaris where I hunted, but most of the elevated stands were grass houses, for lack of a better description, big enough to live in (about 8'x6'), with several shooting holes.

Worst part will be after you return - you'll know what a drug addict goes through during withdrawal;>)
Jeff

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Hi Jeff, that is very good sign! Just have to find the pig now...!
Melorani is fabulous, nice rugged country out there, cold in the winter.

Vince, I am in JHB, your flight lands here but Marco is 300km north of here, nice and clean and unpolluted! I doubt you will need a harness, unless Marco has a pure treestand not an elevated blind, ask him. Your arrow weight will be fine, beware of trajectory fade on longer shots.

Ask Marco about his neighbour Henk, the man is a master bowyer, and an incredible shot. That is where I met Marco -I shot a couple of rounds with him at our trad shoot last year. Marco is not shabby either and shoots an 84#BW with 1000+gr arrows. You will feel right at home out there! You run along now and get some sleep!
chrisg
PS Jeff you thinking of coming back again?
  :biglaugh:

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
Sleep??? I'll get plenty of sleep when I die. My mind's going a hundered miles an hour thinking of everything I need to do, I get a couple hours a night, I'm used to that. Anxious to meet Henk, always enjoy meeting bowyers, maybe I can learn something.
Chris I'll be in JHB overnight the 23rd, wanna show me some sights?
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 03:11:00 PM »
Sure I can, my pleasure. I sent you a pm, what time are you in and where are you booked to stay? Oh, right you don't sleep..Ok!
Craft markets, museums, culture, sports, bowshops, malls, restaurants, etc
chrisg

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
As soon as possible!!!!!!!!
Jeff

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Chris, sent you a PM. I'll let you know what time my flight arrives when I get home from work.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Vince,

One last word of advice: when you're sitting in the blind surrounded by animals, use them to practice, at least mentally, picking a spot. That way, when the one you want to shoot shows up, it will be more second nature. Impala are easy, others not so much. I thought wildebeest and warthogs were tough to find a good spot to concentrate on. The first stripe on a kudu, if it is not too far back, is a good place to start on them.
Jeff

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Thanks Jeff!
I can use all the advice I can get. I get on the plane tommorow morning, then the dream begins! Hope to come back with some good pics, bought an SLR just for that purpose.
I've been studying pics of plains game visualizing where I'd place an arrow but your idea should help alot, thanks again!  :pray:
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2008, 11:50:00 AM »
Vince,

One more thing - Don't know if any one told you, but it's a very good idea to call the customer service number on the backs of the credit cards you plan to use in SA and file a "foreign travel alert". Otherwise, the first time you use it in South Africa they may put a hold on the account, and you'll be screwed unless they are able to contact you to confirm that the charge is legit. It only takes a few minutes.
Jeff

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Haven't done that.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Hey Jeff, look forward to meeting you someday. The bush is a real treat, I have been blessed to have worked there, shot birds growing up as a kid all around here but the bushveld just gets into your blood. Thinking a little of your shot description on the pig, my mate Stan, the 'vark slagter' "Pig slaughterer" (gets lost in translation, I know) said that place is where a pig 'pump himself dry' just above the elbow. You get ten points mate! Nice pig too.
chrisg

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
It was quite a blood trail! I'm hoping to return in 2011.
Jeff

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
Does anyone know when Vince will be home?
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Steven Matthew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
The blinds were very chilly and I was glad for a lot of layers and my long underwear.
Cushion to sit on
Scent free laundry soap!!!!!!!!!!
Very soft soled shoes or maybe a piece of rug or thick cloth to stand on so the crunch of shoe on crunchy dirt is muffled.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©