Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: I'm back from Barrel & Bow in SA  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm back from Barrel & Bow in SA
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Got back from Marco's late yesterday. Still getting over jet lag but I'll get something started. Africa was everything I dreamed it would be & nothing I could have imagined.
 I want to thank Chris Green for meeting us at the airport, it really eliminated any of those horror stories Iheard from guys about the airport. Chris took us out & showed us J'berg, we went & ate at a decent resturant & then we went back to the hotel to turn in & be ready for the next day.
 Marco picked us up at 11:00AM on Sun, he picked us up in a Mercedes Benz car towing a beat-up old trailer! I knew I wasn't in America anymore! Marco's a big trad shooter so after the 2 1/2 hour drive to where we were staying we threw our gear in our rooms & went out to shoot a few arrows. We shot for about an hour then got a tour of one of the properties we'd be hunting. We had a good supper & turned in for the night all excited about the next day, our first day hunting!
First thing I'll tell ya is that I won this trip in a raffel from our state archery club. I decided that since I didn't have any daily fees involved I wasn't going to do any hunting from blinds. Marco knew that the only way I'd hunt was spot & stalk or treestands.
We started out the first couple of days hunting spot & stalk very hard. On the first day I stalked up to 11 yds of a female duiker, but didn't shoot her cuz I wanted a ram. Marco was going nuts! He said, "do you realize what you just did?" I didn't think it was that big a deal but the 9 days to follow were about to show me what a fluke that stalk was.
If you've never been over there you can't imagine the amount of game you'll see in one place. The norm was to have 4 species in front of us. That's a lot of eyes, ears, & noses to defeat. I had some great stalks the first couple of days, I crawled 300 yards to get in to within 15 yards of 3 fabulous impala rams only to have that set-up blown by the guy I was hunting with coming up on them from the other way & blowing them out of there.
Things finally came togather on Thurs when I got within 18 yards of an impala ram in a brushy waterway & here's the result that's Marco on my left & our assistant PH Gerhald on my right.
That's all for the first installment, I'm gona try & get some sleep before I have to go back to work tommorow. I'll continue more tommorow.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm back from Barrel & Bow in SA
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:18:00 AM »
Congrats on a fine impala    :thumbsup:   Sounds like you had a heckava hunt    :campfire:      :coffee:

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
great stuff i look forward to the rest, you'v done well with the walk and stalk. i think so many guys miss out on the real hunting out there by sitting in blinds all the time.
you did very well to get the impala Congrats   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
Nice going Vince!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Hey Vince glad to see you're back, it was a total pleasure meeting you guys, and I am sorry we didn't hook up at the end of it all. Marco warned me you'd likely have a busy day at the taxidermist....  :D  
chrisg

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Awesome. cant wait for the rest
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I'm back. Man it's tough to get back on schedule after coming back! Chris, it was an honor to meet and get to spend some time with you, you were right about Marco, that boy can shoot! I gave him a take down Osage self-bow & he was drilling the 3D target in no time!
Back to the story. I shot the Impala with a 66" 61# @ 29" longbow of my own design, as a matter of fact that's what I used on everything. I was shooting kingwood footed tapered ash shafts I made. I was using a modified 190gr Grizzley with a 200gr Woodie weight adaptor under it for a 20% weight forward 997gr total weight shaft. I hit the Impala a little far back & Marco & I gave him 5 hours then took up the trail. We found him after about 80yds bedded under a tree, & had to put another one in him. Marco figured he was about 14yrs old, his horns were all broomed off on the tips, his ears were notched up, & his neck was all scarred up. I just loved him!
The same day I shot my Impala the guy I went over there with shot a beautiful Kudu bull. The horns was 46" & he took him with a 3 piece L/B I built him, 60# @28", Beman weighted shafts, 615gr, with 125gr Steel force broadhead.

The next day Marco asked me if I wanted to sit in a treestand. I told him I'd sit in a stand so long as it was just a hang on stand & not an elevated blind. He put me in a stand over a feed trough about 18' up. The branch the stand was hanging on was about 6" in dia., so if I shuffled my feet the tree swayed," this should be interesting I thought".

I got up in the tree just after sunrise & settled in for the day. I didn't have a long wait as a herd of Wildebeest came in before 8 AM & started gathering around the feeder. I kept thinking about what Jeff Sample told me about not shooting to high as a nice bull came into my shooting lane. I assesed his horns, good bosses, wider than his ears, he's a shooter! I draw my bow back, the Wildebeest was only 8 yds from my tree, & my string hits my seat before I reach full draw. Being the manley trad shooter I am I don't let down, I can force it where I want it to go. The Wildebeest was quarting towards me a little & the arrow buried to the fletch in the middle of his chest angling rearward. The old bull exploded out of there bucking & snorting & went about 80yds then stood there trying to pull the arrow out with his horns. The rest of the herd came back & began feeding again, for an hour & a half! I was shaking so bad I knew I couldn't climb down, for some reason in Africa they have an aversion to tree steps, so I stayed up in the tree till the herd left. I called Marco after I climbed down & he came quickly. I explained the shot to him & he said, "Vince, let's go shoot a few arrows". We were stump shooting when I looked at Marco & said, " seems to me I read this story in TBM, cept Denny Sturgis was with you". Marco's reply to that was, " at least it's not a $9,000 Sable you have to worry about gut shooting!" He didn't make me feel much better. We waited the 5 hours again & then took up the blood trail, there was real good blood. We went about 120 yds & I was looking up ahead when I said, " is that him?", & about that time here he came charging from under the tree. Marco brought his rifle up & dropped him in mid charge with one shot. Marco told me to come up & put my hands on him. When I did Marco said, " poor mans Cape Buffalo, same engine, smaller chassis." My arrow caught one lung & went diagonaly thru him & made a hole in  his crotch & he still had enough to want to kill me!

That's all for installment 2 I'll try to write more tonight.
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »
Great story and nice Wildebeest.

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Great thread Vince!!
Great trophy's and I'm glad your PH was profesional enough to have a backup weapon! Although most plains game animals are not considered dangerous, when wounded any animal can be just that!!!
J
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
Nice trophies!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
Well done mate, keep coming with the pics. I'll be there soon enough myself.

Oh and that Kudu is a dandy.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
good stuff...waiting for more

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Real nice bull,they're tough fellas. This is turning into a really good story. More please!
chrisg

Offline Lonesome Wind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Ok, I'm back! So much to do when one returns from 2 weeks on the dark continent! Where was I? Oh yes, my adventures.
One of the days when Marco & I were taking a mid-day break from spot & stalk we happened upon 2 Rhinos that were scared of nothing.

After getting some great photo's I asked Marco if I could rubber blunt one. Marco tells me to leave the Rhinos alone, you don't want to make them mad. I said, "come on, let me blunt one." Marco says, "fine, but I'm not backing you up." So I ask him," what do you mean?" He says, " if you make them mad and they decide to stomp you, you'll become part of Africa & I won't do anything about it, it's your fault!" I told him, "DEAL!" If you gota go, what a why to go! So Marco says, "give me your camera so it dosen't get ruined", & he got this shot.

The Rhino didn't even know I hit it! It just looked at the arrow on the ground & kept feeding! If you look close in the photo you can see the arrow hitting him one the point of the shoulder, Marco says to me,"too far forward, if that was a broadhead, you'd be dead!" At least I can say I've shot a Rhino bull with a bow!
I returned to my treestand a couple days later & was belted in by 7 AM. I didn't have long to wait because by a little after 8 I was standing up stretching when I looked behind me & saw kudu horns! If you've hunted Africa I don't have to tell you how cautious Kudu are. Now here I am caught standing up with out my bow! I slowly reach over & pick-up my bow. No Kudu run away, so far so good, I get an arrow on the string, no Kudu run away, so far so good. All I've got to figure out now is how to get sat down, with the camo netting I can't shoot standing up. That's when the 2 big boys walk in.

I'd gotten photo's of this old broken horn and his magnificent deep curl partner 2 days earlier. Now my knees are shaking! The 2 monarchs were watering at the trough 40 yds away & I'm thinking, "I've got to get sat down before I fall!" I slowly slide down the tree till I had 1 butt cheek on the seat, it'll have to do. There's about 4 Kudu feeding on the grain in the though for about 20 minutes and then the old broken horn warrior came around to eat the hay in my shooting lane. Things are getting exciting now folks! My butts starting to cramp up! I'm waiting for the old warrior to step out from behind a limb when the big deep curl bull steps up next to the old warrior to eat. Oh perfect! I have a hard time making decisions like this. Both bulls are now in my shooting lane, about the same yardage, my choice. I'm tring to decide, the old warrior is so unique, I've never seen one like him. The deep curl is almost certainly record book quality, high 50's maybe flirting with 60, Marco told me when we photographed them both. Well, I've never been much for record books, & I'm kinda unique myself so broken horn it is. I pick my spot on his chest, come back to full draw, anchor, & release. The arrow goes perfectly, the exact spot I was looking! The arrow buries to the fletch in his chest! He bucks up, whirls & runs to the west. I know I've pole-axed him! He goes about 80 yards & hangs his head. I'm so excited I call Marco on the radio & climb down. The Kudu's not standing or laying there, no worries, I know I thumped him. Marco show's up & we go to look for my Kudu. We go to where he was standing & find the arrow broke off right behind the broadhead, soaked with blood. Good right? No blood on the ground. Marco tracks him by his track for awhile & we can't find hide nor hair of him. I'm a little concerned when Kevin calls & says he's shot an Impala, a little far back. Marco tells me that we're going to go resolve Kevins problem then all 4 of us will come back & find my Kudu. Ok fine.
We go to Kevin's hide & Kevin tell's us he shot his Impala in the hind quarters & it went west. I look through my binocs & I see Kevins bright arrow bobbing around in the scrub. His Impala is down in the back & he's able to slip in & put another arrow in him to finish him. A very nice ram.

After pics we head back to find the Kudu. We search for about an hour & a half when Marco says to me, "you didn't hit him wherte you think you hit him, you went over his spine." Now I'm not the greatest shot that ever lived, nor am I saying I can't be mistaken, but I knew I'd center punched that Kudu. Marco suggested we go sit in Kevin's blind, eat lunch, & Gerhard would go skin Kevin's Impala, then we'd get the black trackers & do a grid search.
We sat in the blind for a little over an hour, I hated that! There where Impala, Kudu, Zebra, & Giraffe in front of us. It was like watching TV to me. Seeing all the wildlife without being part of it.
When Gerhard returned we got the black trackers, Slowy & William, & got back on the track. We started doing grid searches, the blacks saying that they'd only seen that bull in one section of the property. Marco kept preparing me for not finding him telling me that all the evidence pointed to a non-lethal hit. We weren't having any luck & it was almost 5 PM, I'd shot him at 8:30 AM. Marco said one last sweep, so we started out. I was next to Slowy & we went about 40 yards when we heard "BOOM!" Marco got him! Slowy & I go running to find Marco, after about 100 yards we come across Marco & he's shaking his head. I said,"did you get him?" Marco said ,"I saw him, about 450 yds down the road, this guns good to about 250, missed by about 100 yds!" Damn! Marco tells me, " he didn't look hurt Vince, I don't think we're gona get him." I'm destroyed! How could I be so wrong about the shot? Slowy went up to see if he could pick-up the Kudu track on the road & was a couple hundered yards ahead of us when he starts yelling madly in Afrikaan, he dosen't speak any english. Marco & I take off on a dead run & when we reach Slowy we see the Kudu standing in the scrub! Marco yells, "shoot him!", now I've just ran farther than I have in quite some time & I'm excited so I yank the bow back & promptly miss! He dosen't go far & I can tell he's hurt, Marco yells,"shoot him!" I get another arrow out & calm down draw back, pick a spot & release, the arrow zips right through his chest, & he dosen't even acknowledge he's been shot! Marco says,"shoot him again!" I pull my last arrow out  & shoot him again, right through the chest. He goes down to his knees, but still holds his head high. Marco says,"shoot him again!" & I tell him,"I don't have any more arrows!" Marco runs over & finds one of the arrows that went through him & tosses it to me! I draw the bloody arrow back & pick a spot in his elbow & release, the old warrior brought his hoof up to the spot I picked & blocks my arrow! Marco grabs another arrow & sticks it in his heart to finally put him down.
The trackers won't go near him. They keep calling him,"The Ghost". He'd been pursued by the property owner for two years & he couldn't get near him. Then he refused to die here. After we reassured them that he was indeed dead we were able to take pics

We took him back to the skinning facilties & skinned & gutted him. During the autopsy we discovered that each arrow that entered him should've killed him, including my first one from the tree. The first one hit a rib going in 2/3 of the way up on his chest & hit a rib & smashed into the shoulder on the off side near the bottom of the chest. Marco shook his head & said he wasen't going to try to figure it out, the old ghost was dead!
To say that African game is tough is an understatement!
Keep your stick bent!
Vince

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
Wow, Vince you certainly got your money's worth on this trip! What an amazing story and it has all the elements of a true drama, initial build up, hope for success, doubt, ups and downs, mystery and all players in on the finish! Thanks for sharing
chrisg

Offline trophytaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
Vince, great story and great hunt!  that's the kind of hunt people wait a lifetime for!!!  Congratulations and hope to see you soon, so I can here it in person.

Jim

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »
Great stories and pics Vince. Thats the way to hunt Africa, in my books. So much to see and much more of a challenge than sitting in a box.
hunt it

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
Well done, Vince!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Fun story. Hope there's more.

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
:archer:    :clapper:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©