3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Using vanes instead of feathers!  (Read 918 times)

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
Using vanes instead of feathers!
« on: December 23, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
Having had some bow hunts ruined because of rain, I decided to fix that.  I once read somewhere that the great Paul Schafer used an elevated rest with aluminum arrows with vanes so I began experimenting with that idea; and it works!

I put a Bear elevated rest on the riser and 4" vanes on aluminum arrows using my left wing fletching clamp.  My arrows are flying true!

I'm now ready for the "rainy" hunts.

Does anyone else use vanes instead of feathers.  Am I now stepping outside of the traditional world?
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using vanes instead of feathers!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Imo there's nothing not Trad about your set up. Shoot what you want and who cares what others think. If it's working for you that's great. It's all about hitting the target this isn't a beauty contest.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
this year I started using a RAIN bow!!!  Ha HA get it.. No For real, I started using a recurve with an elevated rest and Plastic BLAZER vanes, for when it rains... Hence  RAIN -BOW.   :D

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
Matty, I like that; "Rain Bow"! Thanks!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
That was kinda good Matty.  Might have to consider that move myself.
Later
ChuckC

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Not trying to hijack this post, as this is along the same lines, so I thought I'd ask - has anyone here tried Bi-Delta "Rain Vanes"?  3Rivers has them, and I've been tempted to buy them.  Along the same line as what you are doing Trooper, but supposedly, you can shoot them off the shelf because they have "micro-groves" cut into them, so they are supposed to resemble feathers, and supposedly get softer with every shot.  I've gone back and forth for months over whether I want to try some....  but haven't yet.
All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Try Bohning Blazers...4 Blazers and a 3.5" wrap weigh exactly the same as 4-4" feathers and a 7" wrap and they do a fine job steering my 160g Snuffers.  I always keep one or two in the quiver during the fall.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 01:34:00 PM »
Nope,I use feathers.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Goose feathers on the arrow on my rest if its really raining the others are under cover with a plastic bread bag over them.
 As far as being tradtional you'll have to take them to a traditional shoot and see if they let you use them that day.That is what you are worried about being tradtional right?

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
rain-bow!!

thats very catchy!!

u better get that copyrighted!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
I read in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine some time ago 'bout a guy who uses vanes off the shelf. He has his nock point kinda high. This works for him.

Jay Kidwell, author of "Traditional Archery Insights" shoots vanes off a low mounted rest. Great Book By The Way.

As for being "traditional" ... I'd say yes! ... Plastic Vanes OR A Plastic Bag Over Your Feathers ... SAME! SAME! ... Just Have Fun!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
I doubt any trad shooting advent would ban you from participation because you had a plastic bag covering your feathers during a rain storm. That may not be the case using a raised rest and plastic vanes. You'll have to ask the official or the trad event if they are trad or not.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
I don't think he was asking about anyone picking what class he would fall into in a 3D shoot..."I'm now ready for the 'rainy' hunts."

Murray,

Traditional or not, the vanes and the raised rest work very well for hunting in and out of the rain.  As Steve mentioned, the Blazers do an excellent job or controlling my arrows, which have 300 grains up front.

Now, I don't give a thought to what the weather holds for the day, week or season.

Joe

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
explain to me how useing an elevated rest with vanes, while hunting in rainy weather has anything to do with shooting at foam.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
Trooper, came through your neck of the woods in the rain a week ago and it's still raining. Anybody that's hunted very much around there knows that it don't even have to rain to get wet. Glad the vanes are working for you. As they say "mind over matter". If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
"Am I now stepping outside of the traditional world?"

Trooper was the one that raised the question What other significance does the word traditional have other than shooting at foam 3d organized events?

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I'd have to say that shooting at foam 3D organized events rate WAY down on my personal list of what constitutes the word traditional.  I've spoken with Murray a few times over the years and I believe hunting to be his primary interest.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
I've posted these pics before, but if it will help, here is a look...

Those little vanes will steer that 160g Snuffer with a 100g steel insert right into the target out to 45 yards.  I don't care if somebody says it is traditonal or not.  It works when you can't control the weather.  So, when you are going to be here:

for a week or two and not going to be going home to dry out after sitting in your treestand, you need to use what is practical.  Like someone said earlier; Paul Schafer used vanes and I don't imagine anybody would be preaching to him about "traditional".

They look a little silly, but they DO have their place.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
I used to have a set up just for rain and the rest for dry days.  It makes sense, since now i stay home when it rains.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 05:14:00 PM »
Steve,

Exactly!

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©