3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Using vanes instead of feathers!  (Read 917 times)

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using vanes instead of feathers!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
`Nor do I think Schafer would be preaching that it was.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Murray,

They'll work and the deer will never know the difference...other than better arrow flight as opposed to rain-flattened feathers.  Shoot what you like.

Joe

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
I used to shoot vanes off my Schafer, and when I got my Titan for some reason I fletched with feathers.  That was until I shot with njstykbow at Denton Hill.  His blazer vane fletched arrows flew great, so I went home and stripped the feathers and put blazers on, and have been more than pleased!  Broadheads fly great with them.
As far as trad or not, who cares!  Performance is important to me, and they perform!  Shoot what ya like, and don't worry about the little things.

Lee

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
FWIW, I tried the Rain Vains from 3 Rivers. I wouldn't give them away! I could not get them to shoot. I tried for a week. Right helical, left helical, offset, cock vain in, out and all in between. I shot with my nock set from 1/4" to 3/4". They kept cutting my left hand and flew like crap. Out of fustration I fletched up some blazer vains.
Wow, they flew better, and did cut me. I then found some of these shield cut vains.   http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s255/poncex2/DSC01937.jpg  
They fly right with feathered arrows. They work great on my broadheads too.
I turn the cock vain down like this.
  http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s255/poncex2/DSC01938.jpg
No more soggy feathers for me.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
I think I will give it a try .
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
I have used AAE vanes for years.   use a 4 fletch in an X pattern.  For me they are as good as feathers and great on wet days.

If vanes are not traditional, what about carbon arrows, carbon limbs, fast flight strings, mechanical broadheads, etc...

Shoot what you want.  If you like a sight, by all means use one.

As your razor sharp broadhead zips through a bucks lungs, do you really think he is wondering if that felt like vanes or feathers?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
hey steve o can i get a pic of what your arrows look like when they are set on the string?

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Guys...feathers are vanes.  The term vane dates back long time, long before plastics.  

It's "a general term for the steering device on the rear end of an arrow, irrespective of the material from which it is formed."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Deadpool,

Is this what you are looking for?

Since this photo was taken, I have done a lot more work with the vanes.  My rest is now set high enough so the vanes  clear the shelf no matter what and I run them straight up and down, not cocked as shown here.  Also, the Blazer fletching jig works great and puts a lot more helical on the little vanes than a Bitz or JoJan.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
What don't you like about them Steve O doesn't sound like your shooting them unless you have too and that you prefer feathers??

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Just the looks really...they work good, just look out of place   :archer:

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
Well, I could care less about if the vanes are traditional or not when it comes to 3D shoots; don't shoot them much or care about them. I was just curious.

I'm a bow hunter and discovered something that prevents me from having to stay home when it rains.  I wanted to share my discovery and see if anyone else is shooting vanes with trad equipment and maybe give me some pointers.  Thanks Steve O for your post and pictures; I picked up something I will try.  

Thanks guys for your replys!  BTW, my "Rain Bow" is a 70lb Bear t/d with the magnesuim handle; 2018 aluminum arrows; 3 4" vanes mounted with a left wing clamp; Bear green broad heads with the 100 grain steel inserts instead of the aluminum ones.  That gives me about a 235 grain broadhead! The arrows fly like darts!!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »
Ok, dumb question for ya. How do you fletch your vanes for rest clearence?
Steve.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
Well, I could care less about if the vanes are traditional or not when it comes to 3D shoots; don't shoot them much or care about them. I was just curious.

Ohh!! I get it better known as trolling. My BAD I thought you were interested in shooting tradtional shoots with plastic vanes and raised rest other wise I couldn't understand why it mattered. Good Catch
 Understood Steve O thanks

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
Roger Rothhaar has forgotten more in one hour about shooting and hunting with the bow and arrow than I will garner in a lifetime...he says 60x120 is the way to go and that is what I do...  ;)

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
thanks Steve O
Steve.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »
I've gotten to where I don't care who does or does not think I'm trad. I have established in my mind what is and nothing is going to change that.
I am shooting 405gr arrows steered by 3 Blazer vanes now, off an elevated rest and plunger button. They work absolutely great! Tried those Rain Vanes too, and I much prefer the Blazers.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
confuses?? I want to try this...what size quick spins work best??? does it mater how they are fletched...2 inch quick spins will work???? thanks
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
I might give some vanes a try for Beaver Hunting....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
Mark,

I'd try the Blazers or the 4" QuickSpins.  The Blazers have a much higher profile, which is why they work so well for b/heads.  You'll probably have to go with the longer QuickSpins to achieve the same surface area.

Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©