Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: stalking in Africa ?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
stalking in Africa ?
« on: December 31, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I'm starting to look at Africa as my next possible hunting destination. I'm not really one for blinds nor treestands (i get the fidgets pretty quick) and for me, stalking is what i'm comfortable doing. Whilst i realise that 'success'whilst stalking is less likely compared to blinds/stands it doesn't bother me at all .i'm looking at warthog, wildebeest , maybe a gemsbok. Have many of you hunted much in Africa by stalking ? If so, what species, where etc... Any assistance appreciated. Cheers Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stalking in Africa ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Ben if i had the time and money and if you had the time and money i could organize a hunt "real hardcore 3 weeks camping as we go" hunt for someone wanting to walk and stalk.

if your wanting to walk and stalk i would look at a few things,

1- Time your going to need a lot of time.
2-Flexible dedicated outfitter or guide that will let you really try things out, and really puts some time and effort for you, thing is walk and stalk the success is very low so they would rather you sit in a hide and shoot more coz the more you shoot the more they make.
3-Wear the right shoes!!
4- the weather can really help you out, if you get a heavy dew in the early morning or if you get a bit of a rain your chances really jump up. nice "constant direction" wind really helps.

Warthog is very doable walk and stalk, you can trick them, and they are not as awake as some of the other animals, waterbuck bull alone you could get into, duiker, steenbuck. if you have someone helping zebra is doable once they get to walking on a path(you just need to be fit). Gemsbok i cant think on anyone that has shot a Gemsbok walk and stalk with a trad bow they are so awake its unbelievable id consider them one of the hardest.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline storm5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
I’m going on a W&S hunt in February at:   http://www.lowlands.co.za/
This will be my third trip to hunt whit Hamish, and I recommend him very strongly.
He will do anything possible to give you a hunt of a lifetime.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
The time of year you go will affect your odds of success also.  The traditional season, June-September in northern South Africa is very dry.  When I went in August in the Limpopo area there were no leaves on the trees and the grass was crumbling into dust.  Earlier when the rains are just finishing and everything is green will give you a lot more concealment and it will be much quieter.  The optimum time will very though depending on which country you go to and what region within that country.  Africa is a big place.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 02:46:00 AM »
Use crepe sole shoes. The best ones are probably the Russell PH boots.  http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_safari/short_ph.html  Order them with one of the two optional crepe soles. The standard brown crepe is more durable, the plantation crepe is a little quieter. I prefer the brown.  http://www.russellmoccasin.com/soles.html   They are expensive, but nothing compared to the cost of the hunt. And you need them if you are going to get close enough undetected. Clarks makes crepe sole shoes too, as does Cabelas, but they are not as sturdy or supportive as the Russells. I wore Clarks a lot one year and was very quiet in them, but they are not very stable on uneven terrain and kept turning over sideways on me.  http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-wallabee-boot/14024/109129?cm_mmc=nextag-_-none-_-none-_-none  The Cabelas crepe sole boot has more support and is just a quiet as the Clarks, but it may or may not be as comfortable for your foot.   http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0020237824063a&type=product&cm_mmc=CRR-_-RLP-_-824063-_-productname_link&cmCat=CRR   http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-wallabee-boot/14024/109129?cm_mmc=nextag-_-none-_-none-_-none

Wet conditions on the ground are best like Andy says. Actually, everything Andy said is correct. I am going to go in July which is not a wet period. I will have to hope the rains ended late and the vegetation is still green and full. Then I will use my Russell's and hope I can be silent enough to get in range. It will be difficult, but my PH has assured me it can be done. I will be trying for a cow cape buffalo among other animals while stalking. The cows are easier because they walk along the edge of the herd where I hope to be able to get up close by walking up behind cover or, more likely, seeing where they are headed and getting behind some trees or a termite mound to ambush them. Even if I don't get any animals in range, it will be fun trying.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:15:00 AM »
I've never hunted Africa, but am off to Zim hopefully in 2010. My plan is also to do all my hunting spot and stalk. Nothing against blind hunting, it's just how I've bowhunted all my hunting life is all.

Back home in Oz I do all my stalking in a set of Columbia outdoor joggers. When I come close into game I step on the back of the heels and slide out of 'em and go the rest of the way in heavy socks. Your as quiet as a church mouse.

If I do everything right, the critters fall.

Just my $0.02 worth.

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
andy...i'll just have to save my pennies and then quit my job..,.i'm in the process of ordering a new bow in prep for the trip ( ain't nothin' like being prepared) just let me know when and where and i'll supply the Billtong                Allen....how much bow ya pullin' for that cow buff'.? Sounds awesome.                      Al...just got back from 3 days of high country chasing Sambar. As usual, short of the winter snow, my dunlop volleys @ $19.95  remain the quietest hunting shoe i've found. Also sent ya a PM.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
those links Allan posted about the shoes are perfect those are the soles you want dont even bother with the others if your wanting to walk and stalk.

Problem with where i hunt is its acacia country and you wont go 10 steps there without hitting a thorn its just not a practical option at all, in zim its a different story most of the place is mopane veld and there are very few thorns, then Al's "silent sock shuffle" is the go.

Allan your PM box is full
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Andy -- Thanks for letting me know about my PM box. I cleared out a number of the PM's, so hopefully there is plenty of space now.

Benjamin -- I have not decided yet which bow to take for the cow buff, but I am thinking it will be somewhere between 60 and 70 pounds, probably about 65. Any suggestions on weight? Frankly, the lighter the better as long as it will get the job done right. I have a 29 1/2" draw length, so I get pretty much speed with every pound. I plan on shooting a 750 gr arrow. Right now I expect to be using the Alaska Bowhunter 300 gr Ashby broadheads. I haven't seen any others that I think would be better. A cow is much smaller than a bull buffalo and certainly not as tough, so I think even a 60 pound bow with my setup would work fine. If possible, I would also like to be able to shoot a giraffe and/or and eland and I am almost more concerned about adequate penetration on them than I am the cow buff. Based on past experience, I don't think there is any way I would be able to stalk an eland or a giraffe, so if I get one it will likely be at a water hole or even a tree stand in the right area. They are both very skittish animals and the giraffe can spot a hunter at very long distances with his elevated head and tremendous eyes. I have been on the track of eland for weeks just to get a shot with a rifle. They are unbelievably alert and have great senses, and they usually are travelling in herds where they mill about and guard each other. Zebras are much the same. In fact, I have had numerous occasions when zebra, wildebeest and eland have all been intermingled. That really makes hunting difficult, even with a rifle, much less a bow.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©