Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: traveling with a bow  (Read 1509 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
traveling with a bow
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Well all you seasoned African hunters I have some important questions.  I'm deathly afraid of my bow and other equipment not making it all the way to my destination on time if at all.

-Can I bring my take down bow onboard as a carry on?  
-Can I put arrows in the carry on with the bow.
-I'm darned sure if the above are ok I can't put broadheads in the carry on, or am I wrong?

I'm told I can contact the Canadian embassy in the countries I touch down in and get the documentation to transport archery equipment-hassle free.  

Thanks

the chef

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: traveling with a bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
i am not sure about taking you bow as carry on, i do know of guys doing that but it was a while back someone else thats looked into it more recently may have some info for ya. as for arrows i pretty sure they will not let you take them on! and broadheads NO WAY they dont even let you take nail clippers on mind you last time i flew my meal was served with a metal Knife and folk    :knothead:  go figure.

its fairly common for guys to take 2 bow setups in to different bags. so in one checked bag you have your go to bow, arrows, broadheads, string etc and then you have your back up bow in the other checked bags with its own set of arrows broadheads etc. so if one bag gets caught up you can still hunt the first few days with the backups.

i have luckily never had a problem with my bows and no hassle from airlines and i do a lot of traveling with them all over.

i just tell them its archery equipment.

as for the Decoys in Africa iv been thinking about that for a few days and can't think of anyone using decoys that i know off there.

where you going to be hunting?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Tradtusker thanks for the quick response. I'll talk to the airline otoo of course but it's nice to hear what people with experience have to say.  My other hunting buddy suggested sending it fed-ex to the first place we're going to.  Fed-ex if sure to get it there safely.  My wife says it might cost $300.00 or so and that's a hell of a lot of money.

I'm going to SA north west of Durban.  I'm going with a buddy who's South African so I've been concerning myself with equipment questions rather than specific geographical areas-I'm leaving that up to him.

I use decoys a lot around here and they are truly amazing.  I'm thinking that using one or two at a waterhole is enough to give game some confidence.  I'd also like to bring a baboon decoy, because i'm darned sure we'd get some fantastic footage.  

Maybe we'll be the first to use decoys in Africa.  I'll be sure to video the responses to share with everyone.

Now if I can just get some high definition photos of impala, warthog, and baboon....

cheers

the chef

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
I didn't have any problems when I went to Africa or Australia.  People don't seem concerned about about archery equipment.  As far as taking them on the plane that won't happen but putting a set up in each bag so you will have at least one unless both bags dissapear is good advice.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
When Flying from Vancover to London, Thought i would put my Howard Hill Take Down Longbow in as hand lugage. I asked the paticually usless woman at checkin, and she said it was ok as long as its not sharp or liquid.
So i checked in my bags and continued on to security check,Thats where they had a field Day with me  :) )) I dont now if youv ever seen or felt a Hill Takedown, Its like having 2 Base Ball Bats in a felt Sock and a copuply of good strings for Strageling people.Thats where i went all red and got sent back to checkin. Stuck a few VERY FRAGILE stickers on it and chucked it in to the checkin belt alone, I dident expect to see that bow again.

With all my flights, and some impressivly stupid situations. My Bags have allways found my way back to me. Touch wood,
But would consider puting a spare bow in some one elses bags, just incase.

Im interesed in the decoys, im sure there is a reason why no one uses them. But it dose work, once you have 1 aminal at the water the reast are soon to follow, But i allways just shot the first animal  :)
All i can think is that the Game is a bit more switched on and see there fake. ?? Sounds like fun and well worth a try.

James

Offline za_boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
I flew from London Heathrow through Jo'burg and on to East London with my Pronghorn 3 pc as hand luggage, when I went through security they wanted to look at it and I told them they (the 3 pieces) were part of an antique chair (that was in London). When boarding in Dubai to Joburg and Jo'burg to EL I wasn't even questioned. But I'm not so sure I'd take that chance again. By the way, on that trip I'm lucky I kept it on me because my bow case with my compound and ALL my clothes and accessories went missing in Dubai and it took 2 weeks to get back to me.
Pronghorn takedown 55@28"
A&H ACS takedown 50@28" on order

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I second tradtusker's rec on two bows and separate sets of arrows for each bow in separate bags.  If yout arrows won't fit and they are screwins, mark where the bh and insert meet and take off the bh and tape it to the shafts to make a little room.  I did the same and packed them in the bags wrapped in clothes.   When I got I camp, I screwed them in with the marks touching and tested them with no failures.   The takedowns don't need fancy black cases that scream gun.  No one expects a weapon in a girly luggage and thats the secret, hide your goodies.  Once the inspectors see a "gun case", the inspectors freak.. My buddy's bow tec had to be rescued with a $ 50 tip from the gunroom in Joburg because they thought it was a gun.  I would say no to your bow in carry on, Bring your carry on whiskey in 3 ounce bottle(s) and alot of books.  Have fun. Bhill

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
When I went I had a takedown with two sets of limbs, a pvc tube as an arrow case all marked and taped shut, and a broadhead box. I had the takedown in one of the SafariTuff cases. I packed everything in a large duffel with my clothes, kept it under 50 lbs, didn't say word one to anybody about what was in there, and nobody asked either. No problems and everything arrived just as I had packed it. It went from San Francisco to Atlanta to Dakkar to South Africa and back. I also had a large double gun case with both of the wife's compounds, with arrow tubes and broadhead box. Everything was locked with TSA locks. No problems.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I went in 2007 and had my luggage lost until the fourth day of the hunt.  The airline brought it to Dries Vissers and the guy that brought it stood there waiting for me to tip him....yeah right.  I just spent the first 3 days wearing the clothes that I flew in and borrowing bows and arrows from other guys in camp.  But hey, I got to shoot a red hartebeast with Gene Wensels bow and an impala and zebra with Marty M.'s trusty recurve until my silvertips and underwear arrived!  For my travelling hunts last fall I bought a plastic sawzall case on **** and made a t.d. recurve case out of it.  I can fit 2 risers and 2 sets of limbs, strings, stringers, glove, socks, etc. in it and paid $16 shipped for it.  It has a place for a padlock and is light and tough as nails.  It will also fit in most any regular luggage so you can pack clothes around it for even more protection.  Seems to work good.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Talltines, sorry to hear about your delay.  The sawzall case sounds cool....but ti still wouldn't help if the luggage was lost.  Dang I'd sure feel better carrying the bow on and leaving the arrows and broadheads in the luggage.

the chef

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Chef, nothing will help if your equipment is lost.  Just one of those things you have to deal with on a trip like that.  If you are really concerned, pack a bow and arrows in 2 different pieces of luggage and hope that at least one gets there.  You might be able to send a spare bow and arrows to the outfitter ahead of time so that you know you won't be without a weapon when you show up.  Don't worry to much....have a great time and think about the rest of us that will be going to work, mowing grass, picking up toys, washing dishes, etc......while your hunting in Africa!!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Talltines, thanks for the reply but ya know what?  I'm sorry to say that i plan on not thinking about anything "back home" including mowing grass, picking up toys etc.  Especially picking up toys-I've been staying at home looking after the kids for the last 5 yrs and I'm a little sick of picking up toys.

I do plan to share some photos with y'all when I get back.

cheers

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Hey chef, people travel all the time, most often they say nothing about the trip when they have no problems, we seem to love talking up our problems. Tradtusker has it, use two bags. If you have a really precious bow that you can't lose leave it at home. My dad had a real fancy pair of Purdey shotguns he used all over, said he bought them to shoot with, not display in a cabinet. I share your concerns but the trip is not impossible, most all of the advice is good, you choose what works or has worked but I wouldn't try to take a bow as a carry on. You will attract attention and grief. Be anonymous. Concentrate on having fun what is your friend doing?
chrisg

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »
I must be lucky or stupid, Ive traveled from SA to the states and Engladn all the time with my TD just wrapped in a towel stuffed in the middle of my luggage.
I use an old French Foreighn legion army bag and never have a problem.
I agree with Chris, my bow goes where I go I did not spend all that money on a Black Douglas to hang it on a wall.
Just lucky I am thinking...
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Would'nt have thought you could take any bow as carry on nowadays.

Had no probs packing a take down and arrows in a hold all or suitcase as checked baggage,though on my trip to the states last sept I did take 2 bows and 2 sets of arrows seperately.

My one piece main bow in a pvc pipe with arrows as checked baggage (which did'nt cost any extra)and a take down with arrows, stings and tabs in my suitcase, as I had read lots of nighmare stories of bags going missing.

Check with the airlines you plan to travel with as most will carry archery equipment as they would ski's or golf clubs if packed seperately from your suit case.  Some will carry weapons for free also.

Hope this helps.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©