Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Setup enough?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Setup enough?
« on: February 04, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I have just been given an opportunity to hunt this June in the Limpopo region near the Kruger Park with an outfitter that a couple guys I work with have used now for several years.  I just jumped back into trad two years ago and I'm currently shooting a takedown recurve my father made me about 35 years ago.  It pulls 44# at my 27 inch draw and I am shooting 29 1/4 inch 2016's with 125 gr 2-blade Stingers with extra weight (pdp) up front to give me a total arrow weight of 585.  They aren't fast but they fly well.  I'm thinking about an impala, a warthog, and possibly a gemsbok and a maybe a kudu.  I don't know much at all about African Plains animals as I have been mainly a whitetail hunter.  Do I need to start lifting weights and move up to a heavier bow?  I have two others in the stable that might work but don't shoot them that well at the moment.  One of those is not a take down so that probably eliminates that one.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Setup enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Most likly not what you want to hear but I would really think about moving up to at least 50 pounds. you will hardly notice the differance but you really gain alot. Many folks will come on to tell you about alot of critters killed with a 40 pound bow but if it was me, I would feel much better about 50
JMO
Buff

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I was afraid that would be the case.  I've got some shoulder issues in my drawing arm that limit me some - small rotator cuff tear and bone spur.  Then again, maybe I just need to find a bow that pulls a  little smoother to that weight.  I recently bought a Bob Lee Stick that pulls about 50# at 27 and I shoot it very well, but it's a one piece and getting it over there would be a hassle I imagine.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
You shouldn't have any great problem flying with your bow. Heck they fly golf clubs all the time

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
O and that Bob Lee is a sweet shooting bow

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
I'm shooting a bob lee takedown recurve 50 lb.  at 28 with 600 grain arrows and plan to use that in SA next year.  I'd agree with buff, get alittle more weight but not too much.  Those critters are tough.  But Bob Lees are relatively inexpensive and great bows.  For the trip of a life time, I always bring a backup.  Hate to suggest getting another bob lee, but one can not have enough.  He has a big sale going on now and you can always pickup a used one on this site.   You will have a ball,  Bhill.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
like Buff and Brent i would prefer 50lbs at your draw but you can shoot 44lbs if you have to no problems, if the shoulders not good and you dont want to risk it ( however a bit of exercise and stretching may do it good?) then dont risk it, but if you decide to stick with 44lbs MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOUR BOW AND ARROW SET-UP IS TUNED PERFECTLY, don't amuse it is make sure it is! would be my advise, some proper tuning will go a long way and with 44lbs good shot placement, discipline in waiting for and taking the right shot you could kill every African plains games animal.

personally i shoot 60lbs with 700gr arrows

where are you going i likely know the area?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Andy, the pics of your hunt really got me thinking hard about this.  I would be hunting with Duke Safaris.  They hunt predominantly in the Lowveld of the Limpopo Province in the Northeastern part of South Africa, adjacent to the Kruger National Park.

I could probably step up to a 50# bow without too much trouble.  I already have another takedown that my father made me that is at that weight and buying another backup wouldn't be a problem.  It is getting them both tuned up and me shooting them well in only 4 months that would be a challenge.

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
I used 46# ACS at 27" with 740gr total wht arrows. The arrows where 29" MFX with grizzly grande broadheads. Sprayed arrows and broadheads with teflon. I also studied the anotomy of game using shot placement book from Cabelas. The PH wanted me to take shoots at 20-25yds. but refused. Keep shoots at 15-18 yds. and make sure you have perfect flight at these distances. Also, only take quartering away shoots (remenber heart and lungs are low and forward). PH was very impressed on quietness and penetration of this combination.

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Where did you get the teflon ?  Sounds like something to try.  I heard of a tire grease that one of the Wensel brothers used on the arows to do the same thing.  Amen to short shots !!! Bhill

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Spray from hardware store-any brand should work- I use Elmer's Slide-All. Spray broadhead and arrow (about first 15-18"). My arrows are 29" but I pull 27". I also use it on my practice arrows as it makes them a lot easier to pull from layered foam target.

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Silicone sprays also work well.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
I killed 7 critters with 7 arrows and only one went over 40 yards. NONE quartering away, all broadside.

YOu probably have enough bow if you can go way up in arrow weight, like Forest-hunter and still get good flight.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
It is true you can shoot most plains game with perfect shots just like you can shoot an elephant with a 7X57 too! I would go up to 50#. I am also having shoulder issues, I made a 71" long BBI bow that draws 50 but it feels like 40 and way lighter than my 67" glass bow that draws 54#. Those extra four inches make a big difference. It is a one piece I wonder if you could get longer limbs for the Bob Lee? The ACS is a super efficient bow and outperforms most others we have seen out here, Forrest may be onto a solution! yup another bow!!

Close shots with perfect arrow flight will do it for you, worry more about accuracy. If the shot is closer than fifteen yards then trajectory with a heavy arrow 550+gr won't be a problem. The only guys you need to be real careful with is the gemsbok, they are tough like wildebeest.  robtattoo had an arrow pass thru and he never found it. They can stringjump too!Impala and warthog are stringjumpers of note but a heav set up will be quiet. What a nice set of problems to try and sort out! Good luck
chrisg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©