Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Trad Lad is back  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Lad is back
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Sorry all, I tried to post the beginning of my journey to Africa tonight. I spent an hour building the first segment and at the end was told it was to many pictures and when I tried the back button, it got erased.
I will try again tomorrow.
Don't go away.
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Lad is back
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
:campfire:

will wait for tomorow
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
Welcome back!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Ok, we're going to try this again.

Only in Africa.............

Africa is exciting, scary to the uneducated and intoxicating to the hunter's heart. Every one who loves to hunt should hunt Africa at least once. Nothing you have done or will do will ever compare to the feeling of anticipation, nor offer the varity of opportunity as does Africa, my life has been made richer for the experience.

Following is a synopsis of  my 10 day hunt at Melorani  Safaris, in South Africa  with Stewert Dorrington and his PH Huibert (Bert) Myer. I was traveling with my good friends Ted and Janet Judson who was on the quest of a large Sable Bull. I won’t try to segment it a day at a time as most of the “action” happened in the first  two or three days.  So I will make a collage to include most of the great scenarios I experienced to make up the whole journey. Let me pre-empt my story by telling you our hunt was a little unusual by comparison to all of the people I spent great length in communicating with. Some of the information and aids given by them just didn’t apply because unlike them we were not hunting in dry dusty, thirsty conditions. It had rained the immediate 4 days prior to our arrival. Under normal conditions it wouldn’t have rained for two or three months prior to our hunt.  Stewert said it was an unusually wet season, so far.  Although it didn’t rain (it misted) while we were there, there was standing water in many places and on the red dirt road leading to Melorani, we were actually driving through mud and water stretching clear across the road.  Those who have visited Melorani before will get a good mental picture if I simply say, we saw NO dust the entire 10 days.  Understand, if it sounds like I am complaining, I am not. I couldn’t have been happier. I would let nothing dampen an adventure straight from my bucket list, and it didn't. I was able to harvest three great animals, trophies you ask, your darned right they are trophies, mine. First I arrowed a fine Kudu, then a warthog and finally a nice Wildebeest. As my friend Ted says “A respectable example of the species”. My wish list included up to six animals but, did the weather have anything to do with my not getting shots of the all, perhaps but I saw many, many animals and made my decisions each time. The hunt was certainly all I hoped for and more.
The trip from Atlanta to Joberg was approx. 16 hours on Delta Flight 200. It was mostly uneventful and comfortable except for a small medical incident that occurred to me upon landing. I won’t bore you with my problems except to say be sure to get up and move around “often” during the flight to maintain proper circulation. If any are interested in detail let me know. The good news about Delta Flight 200 for those who can’t sleep on planes, like me, is they have non-stop movies and games to help pass the time.
We were picked up and zipped through customs rapidly, thanks in part to traditional  hunting equipment that doesn’t look so weapon like. After our luggage was loaded we were taken, in a light mist I might add, to The Afton House in Joberg to spend the night, eat a good breakfast the next morning and then  were introduced to Stewert Dorrington who took us the 3 ½ hour  trip across the Platinum Highway to Melorani. We got to know each other on the trip and those who know him will agree that Stewert is one of the wittiest, funny people you could have the pleasure to know.
The adventure begins:

Above is the comfortable Rondavel I stayed in.  Notice that the colors on the building were painted with colored clay from the grounds of Melorani.

The Rondavels were roomy and comfortable, complete with showers and inside plumbing for your security. Beds are made, rooms cleaned and laundry done daily, remember that in your packing.

Below is the beautiful courtyard that is the walkway to the central area where we congregate for dining and casual conversation and drinks  by the fire afterwards;

The Lapa is where we meet each morning for breakfast and to prepare our lunches that go into the field with us, and then to return to each evening for gourmet meals by Chef Janet. On all evenings we were joined  by Stewert, his lovely wife Bronwyn, the PH Huibert (Bert) and some times by Roscoe and Richard  their two sons. (Pictured above is Stewert, Bert and Ted discussing blind placement for the day)

After supper we gathered here at the fire pit to relive the days hunt or hear stories of past years and laugh at Stewert’s adventures at Melorani with other clients.

To close this evening I'll end with my first Trophy. A nice Kudu shot on the first afternoon at the Red Land Hide:

The Kudu was shot with my Robertson, Prarie Falcon, Stykbow @58#, with wooden arrows footed with rosewood, made by me and tipped with Wensel Woodsman Elite broadheads. Fortunately due to a heart shot, he traveled only 90 yards before piling up. It was a proud moment.

More to come..........
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
Enjoying this very much!  Kudo on the Kudu, they are absolutely magnificient.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 05:45:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
This is a quote I just received from Melorani this morning, it is kind of a weather up date. Gives you an idea of the adverse weather conditions we were facing, and even with that, the hunting is still great:

“With the new group arrived the freezing weather. Snow and blizzards over the high lying areas and freezing morning conditions here. As unpleasant as it is, it is what we need to dry out and we are beginning to make a bit of dust again. The sky is clear. This morning there was ice on the edges of the water troughs. “
“The new group is doing well despite not having a lot coming in. First day they took a kudu and a nyala, second day 2 impala and a warthog and yesterday another impala and probably the new world record waterbuck of 35". “

As a rookie going to Africa, I was curious and even concerned because of my 6’4” frame, fitting into a tiny straw or clay blind. I shoot a 62” recurve and  was a little nervous about whether I could cant my bow properly  without hitting the edge or  would my bow tip hit the ceiling because of my height causing an erratic arrow to miss my Impala and strike a Sable’s butt or some other expensive nonsense. Let me assure you there is plenty of room to not only shoot but to move around, if quietly, to re-position  your shot or get a better camera angle. My friend Jeff Sample warned me about moving too fast or not considering there may be an animal around when you put your face up to the opening. Incidently Jeff, I forgot that one, my loss.  I had no difficulty in maneuvering in the blinds.  A word of caution, African animals can hear everything.  I discovered that if the proximity is correct they can even hear deep breathing, you know , like an excited hunter getting ready to pull on a drinking Impala. Unlike most American animals, every trip to the water, every time, every day is a matter of survival. Predators know this and like to lie in wait there.

There are several different types of blinds at the various locations around the concession.  There are pit blinds where you are literally more into the ground than on the ground. Below are a couple examples of pit blinds:

This is Groot Kamp where I had my first visit from the Cape buffalo and naturally it was two cows with a calf. This is one of those times of heavy breathing.

Below is a blind at KP, a neighboring concession that has animals not at Melaroni such as Blesbok. This is where I had a herd of approximately 150 Wildebeest come charging in for water and I thought it was the truck returning for me. It is the only time I heard any animal before I saw it.

Ground blind at Kuill’s  Dam. Notice that this one is actually built out over the water with a shot opportunity of animals drinking at the water’s edge.

Elevated blind at Rhomus Wie (SP). I shot my Wildebeest from the ground blind at this location.

This blind is actually the practice blind next to my Randavel. You can shoot every day before going to the bushveldt from the ground or above.

Some areas even have both sunken and elevated blinds, such as Rhomus Wie and Kuill's Dam, for your hunting preference.

You can count on these critters to visit almost every blind, every day:

I realize this guy looks like a target but believe me he isn't, and they are very fast. I have never seen an animal quicker at ducking the string than these guys and I have the hurt pocket book to prove it.

This guy below with a face only a Mother could love, however, didn't jump the string. It's kind of tough to jump string at eight yards.
The youngster with me is Huibert Myer, our PH and a very good tracker, thank goodness. Believe it or not that Warthog is actually gray under all that dirt. And yes the tusks are longer than the warts....barely, but I am really smilin!

Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Very Nice Pip. Congrats on your trophies and a great trip.Thanks for taking us along. 3 weeks left for me then I'm off.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
well done and lovely pics,chrisg ps NEVER even think of a shot at an impala that stands like that! Pretty animal though.

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys, good luck Wayne,I still have a couple entries left yet.
Trad Lad
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
You may notice that the beard mysteriously disappeared  from the Kudu to the Warthog. I had one sweet old lady tell me I looked like Sean Connery, and Bronwyn, Stewert’s lovely young wife told me I looked like Moses………. Moving on.

I have one more blind picture to show you and a small story:

The blind above is called the “Love Shack”, not going to comment on the name, I’ll let someone else do that. On the second day I was assigned to the LS where I was deposited and left for the adventures that lie ahead. About fifteen minutes after I was securely entrenched in my dark man-cave, I heard this raspy scraping noise behind me. It lasted about three seconds and stopped. I honestly didn’t think too much of it. As you can see the blind is somewhat built into the side of the hill and I thought an animal could be approaching the mineral block from above. Then it happened again and this time while I could still hear the noise I looked around behind me and in the light from the shooting window I could see a round tubular, scaly form slithering. That was what was making the sound. So I immediately did the brave, courageous thing and dove out of the blind, smacking my head on the arch. I had just escaped from an obvious Black Mamba den from a mother protecting her young. Or so I thought. In my rapier like reaction time, I realized that my bow, arrows and most importantly my radio was inside the den, it was 8:30 and I would be there till 6:00 that evening. My friends who know my direction finding capabilities, know how long I contemplated walking back to camp, so what was I going to do. With all the courage I could muster I dove back in, again hitting my head, grabbed my bow, one arrow and the radio and dove back out, narrowly missing the arch for the third time. I called Stewert and told him of my problem and he and Bert immediately came to the rescue. Bert bravely, as all PH’s are, went in and retrieved all of my gear and I was immediately moved to the blind called Masella Sella (sp) where I harvested the Warthog you saw in the previous post, leaving those two to “fix” the problem. When I was retrieved that evening Stewert with a big smile on his face, told me they captured “my” snake. “We even have pictures” he said. I was relieved, after all a picture is worth a thousand words, right. They then showed me a picture of a very innocent 3or4’ Monitor Lizard and they laughed and laughed. Africa + imagination = Mamba, divided by reality = Lizard. Any way I renamed the blind but I can’t say what.

Yes, moving on.  Animals, animals, and more animals, boy to this old dude from Corn field county Indiana I was amazed at the number and variety of animals. When I wrote down my wish list of animals I wanted to harvest in Africa, my wife said it will be like going to the grocery store. Her comment couldn’t have been  farther from the truth, sure there would be lots of animals but getting the animal to the blind I was attending at the time I was there and making sure it was a mature animal and not a pregnant female and that no eyes were on you when you drew, and not in line with other animals and yes it was on my list and not standing beside an irritated cape buffalo, wasn’t the easiest thing in the world to do. Having said that, the ride it took to get to the shot was a great one, I enjoyed every second. Below are a few of the animals I saw along that ride:

Young Kudu bull drinking at the Mushroom blind.

This is a Vervet Monkey and these guys can really screw up a hunt. I believe I am correct when I say they see in color, like Baboons.

A  beautiful Waterbuck and no, contrary to some beliefs that is not a bullseye for a heart shot.

Only one word for this African beauty, Regal. She walked in without a hint of a noise then followed by two siblings about half her size.

toward the end of the week I added these Red Hateebeest to my list but sadly never saw one at the water hole.

I could have shot several of these, had one at six yards for at least 10 minutes on the Redland blind but they just weren’t on my list.

And here is the money shot. The most expensive of the African Plains Game. This is what Ted went for and what only came to me more than one time. Oh well that's why they call it hunting.

More to come........
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
Great story/hunt - I remember there being alot of Nyala around when I was there - though I had not planned on shooting one - sooner or later will go back for one of those.

Congrats on the kills so far!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Ok, this should be the last installment  from Tradlad’s African Journey.

Following are a couple pictures of  some tuff critters we encountered along the way. We showed them great respect and had absolutely no trouble but boy can the imagination run when you are in a little straw house  less that twenty yards from one of the big five’s current meal:

This gal, her sister and one of her kids came to visit me one day at the Groot Kamp blind. I noticed that when they came in, everything else left and there was a period of time after they left that other animals came in sniffed the air and left again. They not only command our respect but all of their animal  subordinates also.  A couple times when we drove the Land Rover through a herd of buff, they were the only animals that did not run.  If we stopped the truck they either stood their ground or came closer. If they were at a blind when we drove up, they would just stand there.  Great respect.

I was setting in a blind one evening after 5:30 when the shooting light had left and I was all packed up and just waiting for the Rover to come and fetch me. I was using what little light I had to try and finish  “The Double Helix” for the third time, when I noticed a movement to my left. I looked through the shooting window and this girl was not 13 yards away drinking water and the big pool. What a magnificent girl she was. As big as a Hummer and weighing twice as much, and I didn’t hear or more accurately “feel” her come in. I caught myself not breathing……Most respect!

Notice the hand in the window of the elevated blind at Kuill’s  Dam. That is my buddy Ted Judson,  waving good by as we left him and headed to my blind for the day.

When I was picked up that evening I found that Ted had shot a nice Zebra from that elevated blind and was sure he had a good hit. It ran off , however with a  bachelor herd of Stallions and the light left before  the recovered it. Ted and the PH Bert were confident they would find it the next morning.

Next morning, after a sleepless night and a minimal breakfast everyone of us got on the trail of the wounded Zebra, lead by Bert.

Sure enough, at trails end there was Ted’s trophy, a beautiful Zebra Stallion.  This is the only animal Ted would harvest as he was still searching for a nice Bull Sable, and besides the fact that he had been there several times before  and had  many African memories from Melorani.

Below is my last harvested animal.  A very nice Wildebeest bull, shot at about 15 yards, with all of the same equipment previously mentioned with the exception of  using an Eclipse broadhead on this animal.

Good luck to all who travel to hunt the Dark Continent.
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 08:32:00 AM »
Richard,
Great recount of your experience. Congratulations on the fine harvests from your wish list, and the great pics to boot!
Still looking forward to my first trip to Africa to actually hunt (have been there while in military, but no hunting)hopefully in 2011, had to cancel 2010 due to economic conditions!
Hal

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Awesome Pip!!! All nice animals!  :clapper:
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Pip,

I shot my kudu bull from the Kuill's Dam ground blind. Unlike in your picture, there was not a blade of grass - green or otherwise - within 100 yards of that blind in 2008! Some of that was due to the drought the year before, but certainly we fared better without any rain.

Tell us more about the "Love Shack" - maybe we can both get some complementary Woodsman Elite BHs for keeping quiet.  :jumper:
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Trad Lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Yea, wasn't the green grass somthing. That and the water really effected the patterns of the animals. We still saw them but not as many, not as much varity and there weren't as many to select from.

I can't say more about the Love Shack, can't give up my friends. By the way I did shoot my Kudu with the Elite. Good broadhead, no great broadhead.
Richard "Pip" Pippenger

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Wow, Pip, sounds like a great time was had which made for great memoris. I just got home 2 days ago from Ledjadji Safaris in SA and it was the hunt of a lifetime. I told my wife while we were still there that I wanted to retire and move there. Africa is definitely a hunters paradise. I am already scheming to make it work a second time. I can't wait to get back over there.

Congrats on your animals and I am putting together a story to add to this forum as I type. I have already posted my harvest pics on the Highlights forum.

Congrats again,

Bisch

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
great read, thanks for sharing your African adventure. I really need to stop visiting this forum, all I can do is dream about going back. Soon, very soon....    :archer:
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©