Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Living in Africa  (Read 3165 times)

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
Living in Africa
« on: July 23, 2009, 03:38:00 AM »
My wife and I have decided to go our seperate ways, (no need for condolences, it's all good.)
But now Iv'e been entertaining the idea of moving to Africa. I have always felt Africa calling to me. I was thinking of becoming a PH, and living somewhere East, say Kenya to South Africa. That's the jest of it, what are your thoughts?
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Living in Africa
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
if your serious about it drop me a pm with your phone number.

lots of goods and bads, but without kids and a wife to be responsible of its better

we'l have a chat

cheers Andy ivy
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Unclewhit
no hunting in Kenya , can hunt in Tanzania ,Botawwana ,South Africa and Zambia -- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
It could probably be done.  When I was in Namibia I loved it.  While we were there, a bunch of us were talking about how cool it would be to buy a bunch of land and run hunts on it.  I still think I would love this.  I would love to live over there for part of the year during the hunting season and then come back to the U.S. during the rest of the year and work here.  I guess it never hurts to dream big right?

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
i know quite a few people doing that Jon, need a lot of cash though and need someone reliable to look after your interest when you are gone, lots of poaching or bootlegging

ill give you a shout as soon as i get some free time Jeff
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 03:16:00 AM »
Yeah, Andy call any time.
Jon, that is one of my biggest concerns: What does a guy do in the off season? SHOOT HIS BOW thats what. lol
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Of the South Africans I know, all are leaving or trying to leave.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
One of the highest percentage of immigrants in NZ today are South Africans.

I work with a couple of them,,,,,absolute horror stories.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline briandean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
I really do feel sorry for the people who have left South Africa after having been subjected to some sort of violence.  Stats show that there are around 100 000 S.Africans living in Perth, Australia alone.  My sisters live in Australia & Ireland & my wife's 3 siblings live in England.
HOWEVER, I live in S.Africa because I love it here.  This is where I was born. Watching the African sunset with my mates with some backstraps on the fire - nothing like it. There's a saying "Africa is not for sissies". True.  Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention - I can also hunt as many animals with my bow as I can afford - all year round - on any of many game farms with hunting concessions.  Sure, it can be dangerous - same as India, China, Russia, Israel, Egypt, UAE, Afganistan, Zimbabwe, Sudan, some American schools etc etc - get the point.
But again, no animosity toward those who have found greener pastures.  After all, the Americans, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans and others were once relocated Brits, French, Irish, Dutch, Spanish and many more.
Grab your bow and come visit on the southern tip of the Dark Continent - you'll love it  :)    :)
“He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.” Psalm 18:34

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
yup its a different place to live- absolutely awesome. but we moved- i had to think of my wife and young kids eventually- in my time we all served in the army, and a few of us even gave a little more- i ended up serving in the special forces- and i lived in a town, called Weenen- notorious for the violence and running gun battles- which was all good and well for me- kind of a civilian extension of my military days.
i have seen many of my friends get shot up and/or stabbed, some died, some didnt!!
i cant count the maydays i personally responded to.
it was a beautiful country- and i still love it(awesome hunting), incredible hospitality, phenomenal hunting and guiding skills, views to die for!!
however i did not want my young family subjected to any more of what S.A. had going on.
my wife - using her carry gun- stopped a rape in progress in the main road outside our business in the middle of the day- we always carried a side arm, 8 shot riot shotgun next to the bed- 10 to 12 dogs.
my mother in law was murdered in may, in her bedroom!!!
sadly it is getting worse- and probably gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.
and i can go on and on- ad nauseum- however this is not intended to be a tirade.
if you want to travel to S.A. go sooner than later- make sure you are with locals, do not go it alone- you wont know where not to go, or what not to do!!!.
get out of the cities, and into the bush as quick as possible.
i am sure it will turn into a duck shoot one day, and i would surely go back for that- however my family might be a little adverse to that-oh well!!
i still have family there- and i miss them, and the bushveldt- and yes africa is not for sissies- i still respect the people staying there- no ill feelings towards them, everybody makes their own choices.
if you want to hear more, e mail me- enough said for now.
regards.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I live in SA currently and I really love the country. However, should the chance to immigrate present itself I'll probably pack up and leave.

I've had more than my share of personal experiences of random violence perpetrated against myself and family members. Lost my fiance 10 years ago due to a "probably racially motivated" execution style shooting in a parking lot. Africa unfortunately is a very cruel continent. The amount of crime is not the issue, the obscene amount of totally uncalled for violence accompanying even mundane crimes is the real problem. People here really do get killed simply because they are white. It sucks, but it is the reality.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Johann, i am so, so very sorry. i know you didnt make mention of this to garner sympathy- merely to help enlighten people-  africa sure does make people tougher, you just have to be i geuss!!
i do not know a single family in sa that has not been effected by the existant violence. we thought we were lucky and had got away scott free, until we had to go back in may and bury my wifes best friend/mother.i vowed then i would never return!!
what do you do, what would you like to do, where would you like to go. canada is an awesome place- and a little easier to get in to than the ol' us of a.
the people are great here- awesome hunting and fishing etc etc. it is not as effected by the recession as the poor guys have been hit south of the line.
keep yer peepers peeled, we will pray for you.
groete boet.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 03:37:00 AM »
Very sorry for your losses, lads.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Boesman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I Africa is like a Black Widow spider and living here is like being her mate. You love her even though she'll try to kill you whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Its not just the crime, it's the collapse of infrastructure, the incompetence of civil servants and the huge cultural differences between black and white. If you want to live in Africa, Botswana is probably your safest, most stable bet.
If I could live anywhere in Africa, I'd want to live in Botswana. I have heard its expensive though.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Yeah, I had quite a few Botswana students over the years (I lecture IT) and they are lots more civilized and educated than most south africans. They also don't try to blame everything on apartheid.
I general Tswana people are great.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
thanks ben.
botswana is an awesome place- i have done lots of work there- awesome, friendly, well intergrated people- and no more expensive than anywhere else.
some of the most phenomenal hunting ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline eugeneb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
Left SA 2.5 years ago for reasons as previously stated ... grew up in Namibia though. Although I absolutely love Aus ... stayed 40 years in Africa and once Africa is in your blood, it's impossible to shake completely ... I visit once a year ... absolutely fantastic place & people (minus the politicians & crims) ... my vote would go to for Namibia re a great and safe hunting experience.  Going there during May for a hunt ... will also visit family in SA.
Eugene

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
i second that, have spent quite a bit of time there too!!!

Offline Limey Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
having been run out of Rhodesia, way back when it was, I`ve never been back and I kinda regret that. My brother returned 10 years ago and the destruction he saw on our farm and around town made him vow never to return.
After Rhodesia we where in England for 12 years, hence the Limey Chris title, and I followed my parents to Florida in `99 and I don`t ever think i`ll leave the US.

Offline za_boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
I also live in SA and it's incredibly sad to see the daily decay of infrastructure, quality of living and society in general (just like every other African country). We’re so desensitised to murder, rape, robbery and other gruesome crimes because it’s in our faces on a daily basis. If not in the newspaper then on the radio or online or on TV or even for those unlucky ones, right in from of their eyes. I love this place and always will but if the opportunity came around for me to emigrate to Australia, New Zealand, Canada or the USA, I’d pack up and go today. Leaving my family and friends behind will be tough though. Wish it was easier to immigrate to the USA than it currently is!
Pronghorn takedown 55@28"
A&H ACS takedown 50@28" on order

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©