3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boots / Footwear  (Read 619 times)

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
Boots / Footwear
« on: December 23, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
What are you guys wearing for hunting boots?  I had a bad expierience hunting elk this year in Colorado.  My boots from a well known manufacturer (rhymes with Blocky), pretty much fell apart on the hunt.  Thankfully I had super-glue and duct tape with me.  I notified the manufacturer of the problem numerous times and have never recieved a response.  Any suggestions on a type of boot you like?  I was considering Lanthop or Lowa.  Neither is exactly cheap, so I wondered if anyone had tried these or others.
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boots / Footwear
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
I've been hearing that complaint about "Blocky" footwear for the past 2-3 years.  Used to be a really fine company.

I wear Vasque boots. They aren't cheap, though. My pair runs about $200.  It puts a dent in a budget, but my feet are the only pair I got. I don't mind spending a few hundred if I get comfort and durability in exchange.

Cam

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Seems like the same tune with those rockys. Ive got a pair of the lowa sheephunters and they are great.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I swear by Russell boots these days.  After years of throwing money away on crappy made "Big" name boots, I bit the bullit and paid serious coin fror a pair of handmade Russell boots.  Absolutely the best investment I ever made.  Check em out at  www.russellmoccasin.com.

They're so good that now, except for tennis shoes, Russells are all I wear..work, church, huntin, you name it.
Otto

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Danner. I've worn them for a very long time. They are comfortable out of the box and durable.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
DMM:

I recommend Schnees 13" Hunter II pac boot. Unbeatable and bulletproof. Warm, rugged, comfortable. I bought my first pair this year. Ground-hunting in some extreme conditions - boulders, rocks, hills, snow, ice, and nasty weather -- and my feet were never cold or uncomfortable. Plus the company are very good to deal with.

Robert

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
That's funny!  I had a pair of boots from Cabelas, made by Mendle, loose their sole, footbed,etc.  I had to walk out of a canyon four miles uphill in sock bottom boots!  That was no fun! I saved all the parts and took pictures of them. But a hell of an good elk hunt!!!!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
For elk hunting, Schnees have been my companion for 15 years.

For many years, Rocky was our uniform supplier of boots and few of us had complaints.  Then about 10 years ago, several problems surfaced and it seems the company office could care less.  There are better boot suppliers out there.
Lon Scott

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I loved my schnee boots,but alas,they are worn out,and I need a new pair before next season. Stay away from Rocky.I had a pair fall apart also.   :campfire:

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
My son got some Rockies,they were junk!
I've had good luck with Danner.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Lowa boots are top notch.  I bought my current pair from the auction site, new for less than half the retail price.  Gonna try a pair of Russell's next.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
I have used Cabela Meindl Tetons on the last three Mountain backpack hunts I've been on but really felt I could have used a stiffer boot. The outfitter I hunted Mt goats with in BC two years ago recommends Asolo Granite boots. These are more of a Mountaineering type boot well suited for the type of terrain goats and sheep like to live in. Sierra Trading Post  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/  has the Asolo Granites right now for $199.95 but every so often marks them down for a day to $155. If you sign up for their Email list they give you an additional 20% off plus free shipping. I recently got a pair for $124 from their web site and a few days later Sierra Trading Post sent me a $50 gift card good for any further purchases.
Jack Shanks

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I really like my Danners.......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
I've worn Vasque, Danner and Lowas over the years.  Like them all.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
I love these kinds of posts.  They are near and dear to my wallet.  I once had a nic-name of Boots.  At one time i owned more than 37 pairs of boots.  I wear boots everyday.  Except weekends.  And still own a fair share.  

I own a few pairs of Lowa and they are great.  My number one boot is the Mountain Hunters by Cabela's.  They are made by Meindl of Germany.  i would highly recomend buying boots in that catagory.  Cabela's, Lowa, Meindl, Vasque, and many other boots in that catagory are well worth the money.  Try going in to a dealer and having the sales reps help you find a pair that best fit your feet.  A good hiking store will do the trick.  The Cabelas in Hamberg is about 5 hours from you.  The folks there are fantastic with boots.  

Buy the best you can afford.  I have owned my Mountain Hunters 12 years adn they are going strong.  I guided in them for 60 days, the year I bought them.  The point is, if you do the math on a high quality boot, you will get your money out of them and its much cheaper then buying multiple pairs of average quality boots.  I can attest to this personally.  

One last thought.  The year I bought my Mountain Hunters is the year I began to hunt farther and longer cause my feet were less fatigued.  

Good Luck, Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
I used to swear by danners. I wore them for work and hunting. A few years ago they were bought out by Lacross (I think) and their quality and customer service has really gone down.
This year I went to Meindl made boots from Cabelas. They came through the season ok.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I wear some sort of running shoe any chance I get.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline DMM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
I was planning on going to the Cabelas in Wheeling to take a look at they boots by Meindel.  The one boot no one has mentioned are the custom-fit boots by the sponsor of the site Lathrop and Sons.  There haven't been any bad reports so I think that maybe the price scared off some.  I don't want to waste money, but I am definitly of the opinion that money spent on quality boots will be well spent.
"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »
I wear several different pairs during the season.

I got some old Rocky snake boots, regular ole Lacrasse rubber boots, 14" high Maine hunting shoes, and the Cabelas Upland Premier leather boots.

Depends on the weather and terran, to which pair I have on.   :thumbsup:  

Mike

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »
I have had lots of boots and was never realy happy untill I bought a pair of Lowa Tibets. They are verry stiff but once you break them in they are great. Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©