Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Bow case for africa  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Billy Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow case for africa
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
Well its official iam going to Africa in October any suggestions on bow and arrow cases for the flight that wont break the bank. I will be hunting with a 3 piece zipper.

Offline SilentT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow case for africa
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Hey Billy,

You have several options.  Some guys like the large SKB case for travel.  Others put the bow in their bag.  I have done both and like the bow in the bag better.  You buy an MTM arrow case (or two) and place them as the bottom of your bag for rigidity.  Then wrap your bow in clothing and you are pretty well ready to go.  That way you don't have to mess with a big bowcase.  Just my .02.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
Another vote for Bow in your bag. I have a Pelican case from BW. Every time I fly to Africa I have a hassle with customs. They just assume it is a gun case. When I pack it in a suite case , No problem

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
i use a rolling Duffle bag
i have two 5 inch Drain pipes with caps that fit in the bottom one is full of arrows the other has my bow.

also i have just rolled limbs and riser separately in the clothes your taking and packed carefully in your suitcase. Like Marty Mentioned no Hassles that way
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Billy Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys i think that is what i will do.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Best of Luck on your Trip Billy, be sure to keep us updated when you get back.

Another option i thought i would mention just in case it may be of interest to you is to use a "hard shell golf case"

my buddys and i have done this several times when we need to take a lot of stuff over.

it will fit all your arrows and your bows and offer good protection, it does not draw the hassle of a gun/bow case because everyone thinks its golf equipment. Also most airlines will allow the golf bag for no extra cost i think its usually about a 10kg limit, South Africa Being a popular Golf destination helps out to.

:wavey:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I went to RSA in 2001 and just went to Namibia in August.  I went with single piece longbows and arrows in strapped together long cylinder cases from 3Rivers that are cloth covered and white pvc piping inside.  I have not had any problem at all. I have always just said : "it's archery equipment not a gun". They go: "really?"  I say "Yes" , and away it goes on the belt.  Really, I have not had any trouble and I even did this to Canada in 2008.  Maybe I am just lucky.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline Billy Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys muck appreciated. I will be sure to keep you updated. First trip alot to get planned going to zululand for nyala-blue wildebeest-mountain reed buck-imlala-and maybe one other animal not sure what yet. Have two dozen new arrows made up am thinking of shooting the zephyr sasquatch anyone had any experience with this head.

Offline ncsturkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Badlands Terra Glide
"Live Like You Are Going To Die"

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I usually put bows and arrows in the bag with the clothes.  No problems.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
My 56" two piece Shrew Classic Hunter fits in the case with the arrows (up to about 18 -- more if you put some of them with the fletching down), although the bow is sitting on the wall and is not shown inside the case in the pictures below. You could do something similar with a longer bow in a three piece, but then you could not put as many arrows in the case. This is the "takedown recurve" case from 3Rivers Archery. It fits into a 36" long duffle with no trouble. There is not much difference between something like this and what Andy suggested other than getting both the bow and the arrows in a single case that is finished a little nicer. By the way, there are side sleeve dividers in the case, so the bow can fit in one of the sleeves while the arrows go in the center section. I also unscrew the "totem" rod from my Eagle Flight Archery bow quiver and put it in with my arrows. It makes the quiver much easier to transport with the hood and gripper sections stored separately in my baggage.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Now is the time to see if you can find a cooler on sale.

I've been using a Coleman 120 quart cooler for YEARS I bought for $39.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
That cooler is looking a little worn, Terry, but I think it will last you a few more years if you keep using duct tape in place of the broken latches.   :thumbsup:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Great idea on the cooler. Terry's got the beer covered, now what about the man's archery equipment.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Billy Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone i really appreciate it.
Iam sure i will have more questions. And i already have a big cooler! LOL

Offline craig1955

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
I agree with putting your bow in with your clothes. No hassles at customs. Fewer palms to grease also.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Billy,

I've used the Safari Tuff Traditional Rhino case quite extensively for traveling with a TD recurve. Costs around $65.

These days I tend to just use a 5" drain pipe like my cousin Andy has already mentioned, because I only shoot longbows these days. There's not many other ways of protecting your bow well, for a small light weight price.

I would also recommend trying to make your kit look as inconspicuous as possible by putting in your clothes and that sort of thing. These days I tend to travel with a big soft duffel bag, with two drain tubes in there with my bow and arrows, and all my hunting gear.  ;)

Have fun and be sure to share your stories when you're home!
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline crane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
The last few times for me the agents of three different airlines insisted on checking it as weapon and going through the same basic procedures as a firearm. It worked out well as the tracking is such that you can ask a flight attendant or gate personel if that piece is on board and they can confirm. The airlines were Delta, BA and Air Namibia.

Offline crane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
PS- Used the Tuffpac the last three trips. Bombproof.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
I use a soft sided fleece lined case that is just big enough for my riser and two sets of limbs. I think you  can get them from Kathy Kelly. This protects the bow and keeps everything together. It looks like a pillow in my suitcase.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©