Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: African Lion with BW recurve  (Read 10643 times)

Offline SilentT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: African Lion with BW recurve
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:

From what I have read here the process kinda goes like this:

1. A lion cub is born.
2. Lion cub is fed and raised in a cage until it is big.
3. Game ranch sells a lion hunt to a wealthy man who can afford to kill this animal.
4. Game ranch buys lion and has it shipped to them prior to the hunt.
5. Game ranch drives wealthy man to where lion is and lets him shoot at it with his bow. If that doesn't work, they shoot it with high powered rifles.
6. Wealthy man gets pictures and videos of the kill.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Offline eugeneb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Great stuff buff!
Eugene

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:

If I can't eat it I won't kill it. Can you think of any species besides humans that kills for pure fun? I'm sure there might be a few, but I sure can't think of any.
Do some research on Wolves. They hunt for sport all the time. Ask the folks out in the west or Alaska how often they come across multiple Elk or Moose killed by wolves and not eaten.

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Most predators do at times.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Enumclawarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
I had no idea. "wow"

Offline crane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
There is a big difference between hunting plains game behind a fence and the hunting of an apex predator. Plains game operations may supplement feed in some circumstances but it is seasonal at best. Canned lions are fed commercial pet food. It is the only economical way to get them to a "harvestable" age. Do the math using figures published from SA game auctions. Take the cheapest animal and figure the "need to feed" over a four-six year period. You will quickly see this is as far from a natural situation. I am not discounting the challenge and danger involved; just pointing out what is really involved in creating the opportunity.

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
I have a couple of the pictures from this hunt as wallpaper on my work computer.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Ray Hammond is SPOT ON! Thanks for taking the time to post so many good observations, Ray.

We must hold ourselves to a higher moral standard, regardless of current legality. We must do a better job at communicating with non-hunters. We need non-hunters to understand that hunting is about the outdoor experience and about appreciating wildlife, not about the trophy kill.

Offline 3Bears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Outstanding,a dream hunt to say the least.
3Bears

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
We need non-hunters to understand that hunting is about the outdoor experience and about appreciating wildlife

While I agree with the bolded, hunting is also about having fun.  As a matter of fact, that's my first priority when I go hunting....making sure it's an enjoyable experience.

In my mind, hunters judging other hunters is petty and detrimental...much worse than a non-hunter doing the same.

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Great story! Awesome animal! Congrats!
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
Congrats on your trophy Buff!!

Brand new to the site, but not new to bow hunting, including African bow hunting.

Lots of good debate on this lengthy thread, and that is what stimulates thought.  :)

Several less than accurate comments though pertaining to hunting in RSA.

While much of RSA hunting is fenced, not all of it is.....this includes lion hunting. BTW, despite worries, lion hunting is still going on in RSA. Who knows for how much longer though?

I have seen a bunch of fences in RSA, and they have all been roughly 8' tall. I have watched 1,800lb. Eland walk up to a fence and easily launch up and over. Same with Kudu. Oddly, Impala cannot seem to get that done. Lion and leopard are not slowed much by a fence of that size.

Anyway, again, congratulations Buff, and a great job of sharing the adventure.
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
TxAg,

I completely disagree with your remarks. It's neither prejudicial nor petty to insist that  fair chase is the right way to hunt.

Your position is- that because someone says they're a hunter- no one else who hunts can then offer critical comments about what they're doing without being petty? Really?  

Judgement and decisions have already been made by nonhunters in SA which will affect all of us- as a result of the actions of a few.

If you do something and keep it to yourself- that's essentially your business. I haven't yet seen a thread titled 'if you hunt inside a fence you're a BIG JERK'.

These comments are the result of a post on the web- to which some say things like WELL DONE, YOU GO BOY, and the like- and that will be seen by some among us as an example of something to aspire to.

Remember, many today don't have a family tradition of hunting to rely on for development of a hunting ethic, character, and a sense of right and wrong when it comes to the outdoors.

If they read it-they will often follow the example of others- unless a counterpoint is presented. How less valid is 'I think it was a mistake' than an 'attaboy'?

If those of us who don't feel it is something to be admired, and we don't say anything, we should then rightly be called petty and detrimental.

Hunting lions inside a fence was THE MAJOR PRETENSE used by non hunters in SA government to restrict lion hunting, and perhaps eliminate it. Right or wrong- what difference does it make when the decisions have been made- by the very people we will need to look to later to protect other hunting rights.

Buff began a near apology when he started his post- he KNEW that it would be seen critically by many and relayed that premonition in his post.

And again, I'm not picking on Buff- Buff didn't create fenced hunting for lions.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Well put Ray to say the least.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
I will say for one my eyes have been opened to a whole new hunting "industry" I knew nothing about. Sometimes when you think you know something you are more dangerous than if you just admit you're ignorant.

I am just a dumb country boy that's hunted deer, pigs and anything else around. Never behind a fence. Don't get me wrong I know people do it and enjoy it. My personal feelings, it should be called grocery shopping with a stick or gun.

I recently looked into taking my son to Africa for a hunt. Got lots of good info, videos etc..
One of the places sends e-mails with specific animals with price list attached. I don't mean for the species, I mean for the specific animal.
I would rather shoot a doe on public land here in NC than pay someone to parade a specific animal in front of me.

My wife is not a anti-hunter (obviously or she would not be my wife) but she does give me an outsiders perspective. Before we met she never knew anyone that hunted. She has taken the hunter safety course and enjoys going with me now. She watches the hunting shows with me and always asked what skill did that person just show by killing that animal. Most of the time I am embarrassed to say "they made the shot" because that is usually all they did. They did not scout, find, make the set-up, pattern the animal, call them in or anything. They just went where the guide told them to and executed the shot. That is not hunting to me.
Most, if not all of the Africa hunts are sitting at a water hole or over bale of hay. After watching some of these I feel I could do the same thing back home on the farm in PA. Just shoot the cows when they come into feed. Watching these videos with someone that is new to hunting really taught me a lesson. I like to EARN my kill, not just pay for it.

I will admit Ray's position seemed very hard at first but I admit I really was ignorant about this issue.  Thanks Ray.

PS Buff, no disrespect to you. I love watching your videos, you made a heck of a shot and showed a lot of nerve.

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I lived in Africa for a few years. Since I have moved back to the states I have always wanted to go back and go bow hunting on a safari. This was a great story. I don't think I would be able to shoot a lion, they are just too majestic to me. I would like to go for some other species though.
~Brock

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Certainly, the king of beasts. Your story made me feel I was there.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
out standing
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline huntsman247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
WOW, Amazing......

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2012, 01:20:00 AM »
What a thread. Regardless of where the animal was killed I still think it is cool to see a pic of that animal taken with traditional equipment. As far as the rest of the thread....no comment.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©