Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: paying for our hunts  (Read 2098 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
paying for our hunts
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Interesting thought here, not everyone who goes on interesting hunts is rich. I remember Monty Browning telling us how he always scrambled to get money for his hunts.

It's Saturday morning and I'm off to my "second job."   I go to our community hall and do maintenance, cleaning etc.  

It's not always too much fun being there by myself cleaning other peoples puke after parties etc.  In the back of my mind is always the thought that some of the money I make will go to fund some fun hunting trips.

Who else here works part time to fund their trips and what do you do to make fun money?

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: paying for our hunts
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I'm in the process of looking for a part time spot now, just for the same reason.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
It can be rough being blue collar hunter. I used to work lots of overtime when it was available to fund hunting.
For Africa it was no different.
One thing I can say though...it sucks being a blue collar hunter on a budget when the other hunters in camp are rich millionaires shooting everything that moves!
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Wildschwein

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Bottle pickin. $500 in six months so far.

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
I always wondered how so many people were able to afford these hunts.  I've got the dream(s)...think about it everyday in all honesty.  Life is too short and the memories would be priceless.  I look at all these different outfitters and wonder how someone can honestly save for a $15,000 sheep, or bear hunt.

I've been seriously looking at finances lately and things that no longer mean anything to me, giving me the opportunity to sell items and start saving.  Bowhunting is truly my #1 passion and I want to solely focus on making my dreams a reality.  I know I'm not alone when I think to myself..."Man, if I could do it over again..."

Keep the stories going...it's inspiration for me!  :)
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I bladesmith and part time guide ( fishing ) to pay for the extra's in my life.  I also make custom bows strings to add to my sales at local archery shoots.  Tricia and I have a trip in the makings to Australia next summer and will be working every angle we can to ensure we have plenty of cash prior to the trip.  

I see a lot of guys buy a $4 coffee or two every day, eat out for lunch, buy the latest whiz bang gizmo, etc..... I think we can all scrimp a bit and find a way to afford those dream trips.  It just takes a little frugality at home.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:49:00 AM »
Clay has it, so does the chef, wildschwein. There IS money out there you just have o be creative and cast your net wide. After 18 months of pure frustration at work I took up tour guiding part time like I used to do: bush safaris local museums archeology . ALso added city tours, I have been busy, really busy. I used to have a j-o-b, now I have a business. Our BnB is a hoot, we have had some fabulous guests. I meet and greet them on arrival they stay a couple of nights and then I drop them off at the airport later. The idea is to serve visiting hunters and safari goers. I have a couple of 3D targets and a butt, the longest shot is around twenty yards... that's a hunting shot! It has been so easy to turn it around. Never stop looking, if what you do is not getting you there ask around, there's work out there.
chrisg

Offline Boesman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:44:00 AM »
I do a bit of freelance writing for magazines and newspapers. Whatever that earns me, pays for my hunting and fishing.

Offline andy thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
alot of the guys that have gone with us to africa are blue collar guys.one guy that goes does windows for a living and he takes all the old metal frames and window weights home and breaks them down and sends them to the recycling plant. every two years he is in africa not a bad deal

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Also write! Happy Birthday Madiba for today!
chrisg

Offline pernluc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Build arrows, make strings and buy and sell anything i can make a buck on.
Afterall what is life without  a little salt! Life English!

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Overtime and lots of it I've also have been sharpening anything for anyone.Market price of course.It's amazing to me what some people consider sharp.
Jeff Couture

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Thinking about going back into fire training for the college now that you got me reading this thread. Good extra money but I got tired of it before - getting back to Africa might make me tolerate teaching again!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I work off 100% comission and my monthly bills and everyrthing else comes to about $3,500 a month on a good month when nothing breaks down.

When i have a big month i always try to put back as much as possible. You would be suprised how much you can save when you really put your heart into it.

Joe Van
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
Africa is one of the best hunts out there bang for the buck.  There are many North American species that I will never hunt, simply because I will never have the money to fork over.  Well...I should refrase that.  It is more because I do not WANT to fork over that kind of money for a chance at a sheep, goat, elk, etc.  If you really want to go to Africa and hunt...it just takes a little planning, and a little sacrafice.  I have been there 3 times, and I am just a construction worker.  How did I do it?  Well...I live in a small house with my wife.  I drive an average vehicle.  I don't have a dishwasher.  My house was last remodeled in the 1960's.  I don't own a four-wheeler, a boat, or any other kind of toys other than a few expensive bows.  You wanna know the best way to do it? Just commit to it.  Send an outfitter a deposit.  Then just keep sending them money until you have enough.  This is how I did it my first time...and I was still in college when I started.  I booked through Gene Wensel.  I just kept sending him a little money at a time untill all of a sudden...I had enough to go.
    Be realistic.  I have been in camp with guys that have spent over $15,000 on trophy fees in a hunt.  Good for them..but I cannot do that.  Pass up shots.  Take lots of pictures...but capitalize on the opportunities that you have worked hard for.  Life for most of us...is about choices.  If you really want to do it..you will set a goal..and you will do it.  I have had guys who make twice the money I do tell me they could never afford it.  It's not that they cannot afford it...it's that they are not willing to make the sacrafices to do it.  
     I have said a number of times...that if you are a really serious bowhunter...like most people visiting this site...you are doing yourself a big diservice by not going over there at least once.  Trust me...aside from the memories...EVERYONE will want to hear about your experience.  Even if they are not hunters.  Just do it!

Offline John Pomazi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Right on Jon.  I hear people say the same thing all the time.  I could never afford that. Must be nice to be rich.  That's a cop out if you really want to go most, not all maybe, but most people could swing it.  It may take 5,10 or 15 years but if your priorities are in actually doing the trip it can be done.  I'm booking my third trip there right now (mostly so I can catch up with you) and I don't consider myself rich by any means.  What I am is motivated and a hard worker.  I own a side business that I use as my hunting money and also am lucky enough to get as much overtime as I want at work.  I'm pretty sure alot of people I know maybe even some of my best friends are jealous of me going on these type of trips.  Well guess what?  When there at home relaxing on their weekend watching football or whatever I'm working.  I have a flexible schedule and work two 16 hour shifts on the weekend at my regular job and usually another 16 on my other work day as I do overtime.  Then on my four days "off"  I work at my side business usually around 10 hours a day.  It sounds good to alot of people until your actually working those 90 hours a week.  Then not so much.  But that's the sacrifice I am willing to make to take these trips.  No apologies or pity from me to the people that make the same money I do but want to complain that there is no possible way they could ever pull a trip to Africa off.  The only problem by going on that once in a life time trip is you'll want to do it again!

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Pomazi:
Right on Jon.  I hear people say the same thing all the time.  I could never afford that. Must be nice to be rich.  That's a cop out if you really want to go most, not all maybe, but most people could swing it.  It may take 5,10 or 15 years but if your priorities are in actually doing the trip it can be done.  I'm booking my third trip there right now (mostly so I can catch up with you) and I don't consider myself rich by any means.  What I am is motivated and a hard worker.  I own a side business that I use as my hunting money and also am lucky enough to get as much overtime as I want at work.  I'm pretty sure alot of people I know maybe even some of my best friends are jealous of me going on these type of trips.  Well guess what?  When there at home relaxing on their weekend watching football or whatever I'm working.  I have a flexible schedule and work two 16 hour shifts on the weekend at my regular job and usually another 16 on my other work day as I do overtime.  Then on my four days "off"  I work at my side business usually around 10 hours a day.  It sounds good to alot of people until your actually working those 90 hours a week.  Then not so much.  But that's the sacrifice I am willing to make to take these trips.  No apologies or pity from me to the people that make the same money I do but want to complain that there is no possible way they could ever pull a trip to Africa off.  The only problem by going on that once in a life time trip is you'll want to do it again!
you're preaching to the choir. i've worked a second job for 20 years to afford my hunts and all the classic firearms i wanted. was it worth all those long hours? hell yes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©