Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Recommend some african guides please  (Read 2978 times)

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Recommend some african guides please
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
My son and I are planning on going to Africa next year for his graduation present.  

For those of you who have gone, could you please let me know who you used and where you went.

We would be going over the summer months.

Thanks

Mark

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommend some african guides please
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
I went with Dries Visser Safari's in South Africa and had a wonderful trip.  I think the thing to do is figure out what kind of hunting you want to do (waterhole/blind) (stalking) and if you want to be on a place with a highfence or not and what your primary wants are as far as what species.  South Africa has species that won't be avaiable in Namibia.  You should get plenty of responses to your query here and this is also a good place to a search.  Have fun and take journals with you to record the days happenings in.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
good advise to take a journal, force yourself to srite in it at every opportunity. I'm surprised when I read mine a year later, it brings me right back to Africa.

There are some outfitters who will do a mixed bag for two hunters to share.  That might be a good option for you and your son.  

Take lots of time to practise with your kid before going, getting prepared is half the fun.  Do lots of weird shots when you practise, uphill, down hill, out of a blind etc.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
We are not opposed to water hole hunting. We want to spend most of the time together, probably 7 out of 10 days. He's funny, his number one animal is a baboon???  Mine would be a zebra.

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I hunted with Flippy and Wilham Frost at Matlabas Game Hunters in 2008 and my wife and I are going back in 2 weeks.  We took a side trip to pilansburg on the first trip but will be going to Krugar on this trip.  Its a family run bowhunting only op in sfa.  Great place.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
Contact Neil Summers at Bowhunting Safari Consultants and tell him what you're looking for in detail. There is no mark up for his services (he gets paid by the outfitter) and the benefits are too many to list. I've been to both Melorani and Tshepe and they're both way different but I recommned either one. Tshepe has tons of zebra.

Where ever you end up you'll have a great time!
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 02:07:00 AM »
Neil Summers would be an excellent place to start.Zebra was my number one choice also and baboons are really cool trophies that are very wary.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Depends on what is the most important to you.
Dries Visser has pretty much unlimited land with lots of game but with only 2 of y'all going you will be sharing a camp with others.
Dare to Bowhunt is a smaller operation but you will most likely have the camp to your selfs.
either one will keep you in critters to shoot
There are alot of great deals out there right now.

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I hunted with Benito van Leuvven at Letsatsi safari last year and he and his wife Babs are the most friendly and service minded people I`ve ever had the pleasure to visit. The farm is big with a LOT of trophy animals.

I`ll highly recommend this place. If you want more info and contact info just pm me!

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bubinga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
X2 on Matlabas Game Hunters.  Great operation and wonderful people.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I've been 3 times.  Driess visser is pretty hard to beat...if not impossible.  However...I have been to south africa twice and namibia once.  While south africa has a wider variety of species...I prefer Namibia.  Namibia is much less sparsely populated, and just feels wilder to me.  The next time I go will probably be with Allen Cilliers in Namibia, but for sure I will be back with Vissers in South Africa at some point.  Vissers does have a concession in Namibia now, so that may be something to look into.  
   I guess my best advice would be to go with someone that has been recommended on this site.  Also...go for as long a time as you can afford.  In my opinion...a 10 day hunt is great...but not enough time.  
     I would go for a minimum of 14 days.  I know it is more costly but it is worth the effort and expense...especially if you believe this will be your only time there. You can always spend a few days just relaxing in camp if you want, but in my opinion...you are already spending big money to go and hunt there.  Make it worthwhile by adding extra days.  By the way I am talking about 14 days in camp.  You will have to add travel time to this, but I have never met one person who said "I wish I would have cut my trip a little shorter!"  Be prepared to be spoiled!

Offline storm5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
I have hunted whit Lowlands Hunting safaris in KWN seven times over the last 6 years. And trust me, there is a reason that I keep going back to the same place every time, you will love it. There is a good population of Bushbuck and other small antelopes like mountain reedbuck and common reedbuck. Most of their hunting is walk and stalk, but they also have blinds and tree stands available. Most of their hunters are hunting whit compound bows, but the last 3 hunts I haw hunted strictly whit a longbow. The concessions we hunt are very good for stalking in close.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000252

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
You guys are great. I have contacted a couple of the groups mentioned here.

I can't wait.

Offline ISS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
I highly recommend Reon von Tonden owner of  www.AfricanBarefootSafaris.co.za  
He is a bowhunter first and foremost, and has more than fifteen years experience.  He is in South Africa.  He understands how things go, and has some fantastic properties to hunt on.

Rich
Rich

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Think about how long you'll be on that darned plane and waiting in airports, not to mention about 2k each for flights.  The people who have recomended a longer hunt are right on the money!  You might be able to negociate a bit of a lower daily rate if you make it a longer hunt talk to the outfitter and see what he has to say about that.  also everyone who has been over will think that "their" PH is the best. Nothing wrong with that just be sure to do your own homework too.

Take TONS of pics and keep a daily log.

have fun!

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Do not schedule a flight that takes you through Dakkar for a refueling stop. That sucked!

I went with Visser on the recommendations here. Good outfit but get one of his elite PHs if you can. My next trip will be Namibia.  

Spend time on a side trip either before or after your hunting. Kruger, Pilanesburg come to mind.

Make sure if you are blind hunting that you practice out of blinds.

Watch out for baboons. There are stories of them hunting the hunter.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Right now Visser looks very good. BTH why did you say next time you'll go to Namibia.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
Another stupid question, any secrets to travel ? The flights will cost more than the hunt itself from what I am seeing.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
The travel is horribly expensive and ther's no way to avoid the high costs.  Airmiles might work for you maybe not.  That's why you might as well stay a couple weeks or more  ;)

We had an 8 hour lay over in Germany and were able to take the train downtown, that was nice!  The Pastries were to die for.  

Use a take down bow and put it in your suitcase with arrows etc.  I brought two of everything in two suitcases in case one was lost.  Bring some ASAT cammo-take this tip for sure.  You don't need tons of equipment and two or three dozen arrows are enough.

Any agent can book the flights for you Gracy Travel is a good one.  If you need to stay overnight in Johannesburg stay at the "Afton Guesthouse"  they will pick you up at the airport and drop you off again.

There are porters in the airport with orange shirts on.  They will help you get where you need to go.  Be very careful with these dudes.  Use one and pretty soon they will pile on you like rats, so tell them all to bugger off except your one or two chosen ones.  They will want a tip and if you don't get rid of the others they all want a tip...they get aggressive too.

Get out of Johannesburg as quickly as possible, we're not cut out for that level of danger and we don't understand how to avoid trouble.  Don't hire a car and drive anywhere.  Let the PH get you around or he can suggest a local dude to drive you.

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Afton house is nice. I plan on going in '11 for second trip and again will fly SAA. They have a few inches extra leg room - makes a huge amount of difference for a trip this long. Also suggest you get a donut to go around neck and a sleeping pill from Dr. Be sure to get up and stretch every so often and drink plenty of water. Custom and security personal will drive you crazy for $. I did not give any and had no problem. Security is the same as in most of Latin America.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©