Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Ostrich  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Grantumu

• Trad Bowhunter
Ostrich
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Hello Tradgang friends.
Is there one of you who have ever shot an ostrich?
How?
Where?
Pics?

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ostrich
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
I had the opportunity but I just didn't trust that I'd hit the right spot.  I hear they are a bit tough to kill with a bow, and i wouldn't have known what to do with the darn thing anyway.  They sure look funny walking around!

Offline PZee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Ostrich meat is really good to eat. Very low in fat and cholesterol. I really like Ostrich Boerewors and Ostrich Biltong. You can also stick one of those lovely feathers in you hunting cap/hat as a trophy :-)   Seriously though, ostrich feather dusters are some of the best you'll ever get! I once heard that BMW uses the feathers to remove dust from the cars before spraying, don't know how true this is though. Maybe one of those legends.........

Pete
'Impi! wo 'nans' impi iyeza
Obani bengathinta amabhubesi?'

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
My wife has nightmares about them.When I go back I'm going to try and kill one and tell her it's the one from her dreams and maybe get some sleep  :bigsmyl:
Jeff Couture

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I've shot several ostriches in my time - none with trad bow though. I did however drop one with the compound a few years back. If you hit them in the right spot, like anything they'll die quickly. Generally speaking they're not that tough or hard to kill, but they tend to have a lot of fat/muscle that you can hit which will hardly slow the big bird down.

My point of reference to aim is to go straight up the leg, stop half way up the body and a little forward.

They're fun to hunt, great eating and the leather you return is superb!
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline AP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
I shot an Ostrich a couple of years back. This was my sixth trip hunting in Africa and I figured "what the heck".  I was hunting with Howard Knott at Greater Kuduland Safaris (first class operation by the way). I shot him at 15 yards, quartering towards me.  He ran about 150 yards before piling up.  It was a awesome experience and the leather was definitely worth it.  I was shooting my 70# Morrison with 625 grain arrows.
Not quite sure how to post pictures (not real tech savy)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.

--Mark Twain

Offline briandean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
“He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.” Psalm 18:34

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Never hunted Africa (but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once), but they look like a giant turkey to me. Similar inside arrangement anyway.

Good meat, cool feathers (probably ALL you would ever need for flytying) and great leather. Why WOULDN'T you shoot one?

Good luck Jean-Henri!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
Hate the suckers. . . they are the one animal that I will shoot out of anger given the opportunity! (well, them and baboons). Been chased around by them (the 'rutting' males a couple times, and call me 'chicken' but they freak me out. Have a hard time telling if they are tame or being aggressive sometimes. I just about shot one with a rifle who was chasing my PH friend, but was able to deter it with a big rock.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
I've heard that when their feet are red...they are in the rut. I've also been told to stay well away during that time.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Iv shot a couple, can be very difficult to Stalk
The pics above give a good idea of where to hit one, but you have to be quite accurate they can be very tough.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
"...and i wouldn't have known what to do with the darn thing anyway"

What?!  A chef and you wouldn't know what to do with it?!  Cook it man, COOK it!

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Holy smokes! Austin we need to get you out more. 4 Posts in 6 years,    :saywhat:   Email me your picture I will gladly post it for you.

Brent

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
Best meat and very healthy..
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I find it to be kind like un-meat, hard to describe but it just lacks in flavour to me.  We used to sell lots of it in the food supply business and I did get to play with it in the kitchen but like I say it just didn't do it for me.  I suppose a big feather duster for the wife would justify slaying one of the strange beasts!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
I would not only love the meet off of one of those, I have a project that would look awesome with an ostich foot on it.  So if anyone smokes one, wanna trade something for a foot or two?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
I bet a fella could put on a good feed with a drumstick off one of those big birds.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Here is Austin's bird AKA (AP)

Nice bird!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©