Africa!

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Author Topic: Plains Game Cost  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Plains Game Cost
« on: September 18, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I was searching some of the threads on cost and trophy fees. They seem reasonable. What would be an reasonable total cost for a 14 day plains game hunt including arifare from the east coast? Would $10,000 cover it?

I wouldn't be able to go until 2012 or 2013 but I want to start planning it and getting the finances together.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plains Game Cost
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Could cover it depending on what you want to shoot and where you go, but you could eat that up pretty quick too.

I tell people $10K is a good guideline for a 10 day 5 animal hunt with nothing more expensive than a kudu. Could be more than enough if you just want to do some shooting and not tied up in particular species - you can shoot to your heart's content at warthogs, impala, springbok, etc on that type of budget. Once you get after nyala, eland, zebra, etc, you can start racking up the trophy fees quickly.

14 days on the ground will cost about $4-5K in daily fees, Airfare will be close to $2k - that only leaves you about $3-4K for trophy fees, and doesn't get your animals home - another $2k or so. . .  .very rough figures, but gives you an idea - basically I use $1000 per day for the TOTAL duration of the trip as a good guestimate

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 04:15:00 AM »
Txnrog's advice is good.  It all depends on what you shoot.  The trophy fee for a Sable in South Africa is 8-10 thousand alone.  It is also easy to say I don't want to shoot a ______ ? Until it is standing in front of you   :D  I didn't plan on shooting an Eland until a magnificent bull was standing 10 yards from my blind and I couldnt help myself!  I ended up sending more money after I got home because I blew my trophy fee budget with that arrow   :bigsmyl:  To me it would be better to wait a year longer and have more money for trophy fees.  My trip was 14 days in hunting camp and 3 days on a photo safari in a national park.  I shot a Kudu, Eland, Nyala, Red Hartebeest, Impala, and a Zebra and when it was all said and done with the cost of the hunt, photo safari, trophies, getting trophies home, and taxidermy I had spent $20,000.00  Now the taxidermy cost was spread over several years and I would do it all again in a heart beat if I had the money.  If I ever win the lottery I will spend an entire season (May-September) hunting all over Africa.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

Kudu, Warthog, Blue Wildebeest and Impala are the primary trophies I would like to get. I also would like a Nyala but I would be happy with just a Kudu and Warthog. Kudu is the primary animal I would like to take.

Roger I was a little surprised to see $4-5K on the ground for a 14 day hunt. I was basing the daily rate I saw in a South Africa thread of $175 per day. They also listed the trophy fees very low. It mentioned prices as follows. Is this on the low side of trophy fees? I was considering Numibia or SA.

"The first price is male, the next is female, and the last is trophy sized.

impala 200, 150 250
blue wildebeest 700,500,800
grey duiker 200
bushbuck 700,500,700
warthog 250,250,350
kudu 1000,700,1500
nyala 1500,700,2000
zebra 900,900
bushpig 500,500
ostrich 700,500"
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
I would strongly suggest shooting a zebra and baboon if given the chance!

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Those trophy fees look very reasonable.  I have booked a hunt in Namibia for next summer and the rate is $600 for impala, $2000 for kudu 50-55" with the price going up for bigger kudu, $2800 for nyala, I think bushbuck was $1200.  $175 per day may be a little low.  Our rate in Namibia is going to be about $250 per day.  You may want to shop around with different areas/outfitters as trophy fees may vary quite a bit from location to location depending on what is abundant at that concession.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Thanks John. These prices were for a SA hunt.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
Prices vary quite a bit based on where you go. Regardless, $175 per day is pretty low, but with those animals, you may be able to get into a 'package' deal - something I generally don't recommend for bowhunters unless the outfitter is very flexible letting you swap animals. The Cape and Namibia are generally the most affordable areas, but Namibia seems to be increasing due to it's appeal. The Northern Transvaal (Limpopo province) and Natal are generally your more expensive areas - they are known particularly for large kudu, and the industry is very well developed there.

One thing I would suggest, while there are deals, be very careful and check your references - I would budget based on some averages (Contact Neil Summers to get some more info - he's a great source). There are a glut of outfitters on the market particularly in RSA, and there are lots of 'deals', there are also some relatively shady folks in the business (some great folks too) - just be sure to do your research, and get some references from folks who have been a couple times (first timers are often somewhat 'awed' by the experience in general and don't have anything to compare against - most any outfitter will have a much more comfortable setup, and you'll see more game than you do in the states - but once you've seen a couple places over there, there's a wide variety in the quality hunt you're getting for the $$)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Roger you mentioned in a earlier thread $2000 to get the trpophies back home. What does that include? I assume tanning and shipping, is that correct?

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
One other question question, I would love to use a Jack harrson longbow I have on the hunt. It has diamondback skins, crocodile leather grip and buffalo horn tips. I saw another thread mentioning to be aware about about taking a bow with skins.Do you think a bow like that would be a problem getting into Africa and then back into the USA?

Thanks again.
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Txnrog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Gil, I just paid $1500 for shipping of a relatively small shipment (1 shoulder mount, eight or so euros, and several tanned hides. Full taxidermy cost me $1000, but that was rediculously cheap - the price and fact that we were doing mostly euros is the only reason I got them done over there (I generally am not impressed with the consistancy of the taxidermy over there - some look great, some from the same taxi look horrible). ANyway, Dip & Ship (prep & fumigate) would have cost me about $600. So $2100 total.

On the bow, I doubt you'll have an issue, but just in case, you should take the bow by a customs house before going and get a certificate of ownership that indicates the exact species used in the bow. Guarantee you won't have a problem in Africa, but the US guys could delay you a bit if they even bother to take a look at it.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks Roger I appreciate the information. I started my little stash already for a 2012 or 2013 hunt.

By that time I should be pretty educated on what to expect and what to look out for, with the help you get on this site.  

Thanks again
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline SHS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 04:40:00 AM »
Hi Gil

I would also look at the sliding scale some outfitters have you might think a kudu is X but when you measure it the trophy fee has gone to z.

We take great kudu on my own ranch on a yearly basis but I have never seen the need to price according to inch.

It would be a personal thing but that can alter your costs dramatically?

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
As has been saod be carefull it is the trip of a lifetime you will almost certainly have to do again.

Also look at getting a couple like minded individuals to go with you - put out a want ad here on the gang. Get a couple more huners or even one more and you can shave some monies on daily rates.

Blue wildebeest is on my hit list as well! I wish I'd had dropped the string on one my first trip over there.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »
I've been to Africa 3 times and have never spent more than $7,000 (Not including getting animals home and taxidermy).  The last time I went was the Summer before last...and I even took my wife with me, and we still did it for less than $7,000.  However, I have never taken a bunch of animals.  I think in 3 trips over there I have killed 14 animals.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
If it cost as much as 10,000, I'd have to stick with whitetail and maybe a hog or two.  I spent around 1200.00 on antelope in Wyoming, and 1400.00 on black bear in Maine, and that was a stretch for me.  

If I ever hit the lottery, I would sure love to make it Africa though.

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
Africa can cost as little as you need it to. It is usually a safe bet to take 4 plains game animals on a 7 day hunt, assuming you are not holding out for absolute top class trophies. Many outfitters in South Africa not only specialize in bow hunting, but they have bow hunting only area`s.

It is entirely possible to take 4 nice animals on a plains game safari and have those animals sitting at your US taxidermist ready for mounting for roughly $7,000.00, and that includes round trip airfare, meals & lodging, all fee`s.......everything from the moment you walk out your front door until you walk back in after your adventure.

BTW, as far as getting the animals back home, my last trip cost me $1,600 for dip/pack/crate and all customs, broker fee`s for an Impala, Eland, Blue Wildebeest, and Blesbok. Those 4 were ready for shoulder mounts, plus a nice Warthog skull.

Some folks will never consider Africa. For most of my life I never had even the slightest desire to go there. I was 47 years old before making my first trip, and by the end of the first day I had a sadness in me for wasting that many years of my life not going sooner. Now I am like most people that have bow hunted Africa, I am planning my next trip while I am still there.  :)
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Africa can cost as little as you need it to. It is usually a safe bet to take 4 plains game animals on a 7 day hunt, assuming you are not holding out for absolute top class trophies. Many outfitters in South Africa not only specialize in bow hunting, but they have bow hunting only area`s.

It is entirely possible to take 4 nice animals on a plains game safari and have those animals sitting at your US taxidermist ready for mounting for roughly $7,000.00, and that includes round trip airfare, meals & lodging, all fee`s.......everything from the moment you walk out your front door until you walk back in after your adventure.

BTW, as far as getting the animals back home, my last trip cost me $1,600 for dip/pack/crate and all customs, broker fee`s for an Impala, Eland, Blue Wildebeest, and Blesbok. Those 4 were ready for shoulder mounts, plus a nice Warthog skull.

Some folks will never consider Africa. For most of my life I never had even the slightest desire to go there. I was 47 years old before making my first trip, and by the end of the first day I had a sadness in me for wasting that many years of my life not going sooner. Now I am like most people that have bow hunted Africa, I am planning my next trip while I am still there.  :)
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
just wondering, but what do you guys do with the meat? a trip to Africa is something i'd like to dream about, but to me, a lot of hunting is getting some quality, self harvested steaks at the end of the day!
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
It is illegal to bring meat into the US from Africa. I have enjoyed at least one meal from almost every animal I have taken in Africa while still there. The rest of the animal(ALL of the animal) is utilized by the natives.

BTW, while elk and moose steaks are awesome, they pale in comparison to an Eland steak.  :)
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©