3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional?
« on: December 23, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
Is it really about the equipment(save the bow) we use or is it more than that? To me traditional is pitting myself against my quarry with a stickbow, some arrows and my mind. A way of hunting, even a way of life. Now Im still a newbie by many standards, but it seems that this topic always comes up, so I figured I would start this thread for everyone to lay down their opinions on this subject.
My goal as a traditional hunter is a clean kill on whatever my quarry may be at that time. Instead of worrying about what is traditional to others I do what I need to do in order to achieve this goal.(And I admit freely...so far the animals are winning)  :D  
Since joining this site last year I have watched a thick layer of dust accumulate on my wheelie bow. I learned how to make arrows...wooden ones even.Im teaching myself to knap. I found and dusted off all of my father's old archery gear....bows, arrows, bhs even some vintage wwII camo.It is truly magical to walk the woods with these as I can no longer walk them with my father. I hunted trad only all season, and did not take a deer. Oh yeah, and I have met some of the best people I have yet to meet, and conversed with many more on here I hope to meet one day.
Eventually, I want to be out there with a self bow, hand made arrows, knapped heads...you see where Im headed. It is a journey for me, and I love every second of it. What does traditional mean to you?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline doublewhopper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
For me, it has become a simple yet harder way of hunting and doing things. It means close shots, and getting close. More practice with my weapon also.   More about communing with nature and thinking about what I'm doing.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Nice doublewhopper...I guess thats along the lines of what I was trying to put out there.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Traditional to me, means honoring the quarry, whatever it may be, and pursuing it in all fairness. The extent of your challenge is purely up to you.

A bow with no wheels, or locking back into cocked mode, is what is required at this site.
Hunt sharp and true.
Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
"traditional" can fall into all kind of different things, and i certainly can't pin out what makes someone traditional and the next guy/girl not traditional. apart from what killdeer pointed out.

i think a lot of people are to concerned about what others are goin to see them as, rather than then doin what YOU want to do and using the gear YOU want to use and hunt the way YOU want to hunt..

its a topic that interests me and it is always interesting to see others points of veiw..

what is traditional? what is ethical? difficult questions, and i think its for the individual the to decide
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 03:34:00 PM »
I have met some great folks along the way most of them from this site. I love hunting with my long bow and arrows that i have fashioned myself, getting prepared for the season is fun all by itself sharpening my broad heads making sure each and every one will do the job it was intended to do. When i hunt alone i kind of go into my own little world doing things the way they were done in the past, when successful it makes it so much more enjoyable then it was for me before i took up traditional. I had all but given up hunting small game now i look forward to every day i can hunt those little critters. The best part for me is when my son is walking by my side with his longbow, just the other day we were out together and i was watching him walk along. I must of had a silly looking grin on my face and i was chuckling a little , he looked at me and said "what" I replied oh nothing, he wouldn't understand yet. I have him well on the way to a traditional way of life someday he will thank me I'm sure. So far it has been a great experience for the two of us.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
Simply this for me:
1) A bow, no letoff, no wheels or cams, no sights, no release aids.
2) Arrows, not darts, not bolts.
3) Placed precisely in the quarry at reasonable speed and reasonable efficiency at a reasonable range.
4) As silent and unobtrusively as possible.

Any bow and arrow that meets these requirements for me makes me "traditional" in my mind. And that's where tradition meets reality - in your mind.

Danny
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Ethical-A way to take down my game in a manner that they do not have to suffer.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
To me, the switch to traditional meant no longer focusing on " trophies" and the kill, but rather the experience. I still consider myself a trophy hunter, but the end result has lost much of it's importance. The method in which I harvest the animal now means more to me than the actual kill.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
See, this is what I mean. Almost everyone can relate to these answers. Good stuff....keep it coming.
                         -Jamie

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Hunting with "Traditional Archery Gear" celebrates the human condition. Simple, lightweight, very effective once mastered. Brings out the best in us. Takes us back to a time when we were more at home in the woods.

That's what it means to me..... Oh Yea..... It puts back the "hunt" in hunting.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Traditional Archery "Excites The Spirit".  that is written on a license plate I bought from 3Rivers and pretty much sums it up for me.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
For me is......., I better not say anything, stay out of trouble    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Nice thread Jamie. I have nothing to add yet. Maybe you can start it again this time next year.
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »

ok maybe I do...traditional is a state of mind.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Not gonna get in trouble northshore...No one is right or wrong.
I think there is a mutual feeling here within this sport...regardless of what equipment is or isnt used...so far the posts are encouraging this train of thought.
Thanks Brian.
                         -Jamie

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
I cannot see how any thing that involves metal contraptions hanging in trees is traditional.  I am not saying they should be outlawed, but when some are hanging a half a dozen out in public lands, they are asking intervention from states to limit there use and application procedures.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
I've considered doing a story about this one.  Traditional, to me, denotes challenge, most of all, and the acceptance....or rather embracing of that and any challenge one may want to make or take on the journey.  There is some basic equipment stuff, really basic, IMO.  Beyond the bow,  a recurve, longbow, or selfbow, any traditional equipment made today does'nt really help the archer any...homemade stuff is as good in qualified hands as the best stuff made out of high tech components.  The physical aspect of shooting trad stuff negates itself in the hunt.  If you worry too much about gear, you lose your focus in the field.  

But the challenge, and the embracing of it are the essence of what trad is.  As a trad bowhunter, I would gladly give up treestands, alum or carbon arrows, camo, etc. - whatever was necessary to pursue game legally with my bow.  If I had to.  Because I like the challenge, and I know that success - as in game taken in such a challenge- is all the sweeter.  

As trad bowhunters, we have the distinct advantage of being able to challenge ourselves, at whatever level, to keep the hunt new and exciting.  To prime our desires...

It does concern me when folks accept a basic challenge....like shooting a trad bow,  but then do everything possible, because it's legal to do so, to make it so that they don't have to overcome it with their own abilities....does that make sense?   I think that is what offends most true trad people.   And those that try to "do it", without "doing it"....their attempts are so transparent,  and yet they many times don't  realize it.   I have no  problems with folks that need a crutch, really, to participate, especially when such participation is an inspiration in itself.

Traditional is about the journey, and the challenges make the journey, and the journey defines the accomplishment we seek.  Why did'nt I just say that in the first place?    :bigsmyl:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »
For me it started out for the challenge and became a means of personal satisfaction.  The skills you develop are yours.  They're not bought, they're not adjusted with a wrench, and they can't be copied or mass produced.  You've nurtured them, you've developed them, and by the time you've aquired them, you've earned them.

Mark....Very well said!!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Laddy, I get where you are coming from. I view treestands, and even groundblinds and pop up blinds, as a tactic. Then again, getting a nice deer on the ground without either would be a heck of a memory.
Mark, well said. I think trad bowhunting is chosen for the challenge first with most of us.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©