3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shot coyote while deer hunting  (Read 484 times)

Offline trad kid

• Trad Bowhunter
shot coyote while deer hunting
« on: December 23, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
me and my dad were at sportmans looking for some kind if lure that would help us stock close to the deer. one of the workers told us to try out skunk oil. this was my 3rd day of my first deer hunt i shoot a 50 pound bow 524 grain arrow razor sharp zwickey broadheads. we were sitting on a hill side glassing and all the sudden we hurred this really high pitched yipping sound we went behind a tree on the other side of the hill and two coyotes start running full spead right at us. i told my dad to get ready and nock an arrow because they were coming fast. ten seconds later they are 35 yards to the right of us i turned and held for 2 seconds and made a nice shot braodside my arrow didnt pass through and we couldnt find him after looking for ever i was planning on making a quiver out of him. what do you guys think should i try out a heavy grain 3 blade or what because i dont know what happened i would hate to hit a deer and loose it hel me out guys

Offline ks_stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shot coyote while deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Man at 50lbs and 520 grain arrow, I doubt it's the arrows or bows fault   :bigsmyl:  

Sometimes those rascalls can hide really well...they darn near have to bite you in the nose to see them. I am assuming it was a shot on a running yote....tought shot wih a gun much less a bow.

did you get a good yelp out of him when he was struck...Not trying to be a turd, but are you sure you hit him and the arrow isn't burried somewhere in the ground?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 04:50:00 AM »
Too bad you didn't find him, a coyote would make a nice quiver. If your area has a good population of coyotes you may get another shot at one in the future. Good luck.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
I was in a ground blind this year and in that first light heard a deer coming. It was running down the mountain, I got the bow about 3/4 way up and darm it turned out to be a big coyote. It turned and jumped over a downed maple tree and I could not get the shot.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
Gregg,  I'm sure it has nothing to do with your set-up, but everything to do with your shot selection!

You took a 35yd. shot at one of the quickest animals walking the face of the earth!

I seriously doubt a diff. BH would have changed the outcome.

Be a lot more careful with your shots...keep them close and you'll be fine
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©