3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Come along with me for a late season swamp hunt(Update 11-26)  (Read 686 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Come along with me for a late season swamp hunt(Update 11-26)
« on: December 24, 2007, 11:45:00 AM »
Hey Gang,
    well, the bait has been laid for a few weeks, the blinds have been built, and the plans have come together.  It's now time for the two week late season swamp hunt that I do with a buddy of mine just about every year.  I'll try to take pictures along the way to keep you updated on progress.  1st night of hunting is this afternoon...yeehaa!  Update late tonight hopefully with pictures.  Merry Christmas everyone!  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Come along with me for a late season swamp hunt(Update 11-26)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Good Luck!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
good luck :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
Sticking around for this one!!
Good luck
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »
Whatcha hunting for ?
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Did ya get lost?       Can't wait for the story.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Best of luck!
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
A very Merry Christmas to you all!  Well, I hope I can describe the hunts adequately enough and what I can't the pictures can describe more adequately.   I always liked it when other folks share their hunts on here, so here we go:

We had a snow storm the night before with wind gusts up to 50 mph, but in the swamp it remained calm enough for no blowing snow. We recieved about 4" of the white powder that makes tracking so lovely.
   What a beautiful walk in it was!

The swamp is pretty thick as is, but with snow it's even more so.

And just what I like to see!  Well, almost;)

Of course a guy has to do some stump shooting on the way in.

Well, I got to my spot to head off the trail to my stand.  Here is the bait being used.  Here in Wisconsin we can only use two gallons at a time.  It sure doesn't last long in the swamp.

I made my way back to the blind for the afternoon sit.  Here is hopefully the last thing a deer doesn't see;)

And here is the view from my blind to the baitpile.

It was an exhillirating evening in the swamp.  There is just something in the air with a fresh snowfall on the ground and fresh tracks at your bait. A bluejay and woodpecker kept my attention most of the evening.  No deer where seen from my blind, but it was a great afternoon nonetheless.  

I headed back out to meet up with my friend and see how his luck had been.  "Did you see anything?"  I ask.  "Yeah" he replies with a smile on his face.  "Did you shoot at anything?"  I ask as the excitement starts to rise.  "Yup" He replies.  "Did you get one?"  I ask finally.  "Nope, I missed high, she jumped the string on me."  Oh boy oh boy, it sure does get a guy excited when all that hard work baiting and seting up results in a shot.  He had had three antlerless deer come in and this deer was looking straight at him when he took the 25 yard shot...about an inch over her back.  I gave him a big congrats even for the miss.  I sure do get excited!  I had to take off to go to a christmas party so I bid him farewell as he went to bait his other stand and collect the deer camera placed there.  It ended up with over 400 pictures on it.  Well, more to come...hopefully I can get out again today for a bit.  Have a Merry Christmas everyone!  Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
COOL, Nice beginning   :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Matt,
Great story and pics.  Keep them coming:)  Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Great Story & Pic's. It looks so Peaceful in that swamp. Thanx for sharing

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
Well lads,
    went out again for a short sit this afternoon with my buddy.  We both went to the same stands as last night.  He ended up seeing 4 deer and passed up a perfect shot on a half rack eight pointer. He also tried to draw back on a doe at 5-6 yards, but she caught him and bolted. He also got a glimpse of a BIG deer.  That's usually the way it goes with those type of deer.  All the bait he had put out the previous day was gone and all he brought with him today was 6 apples which he laid out and smashed.  Within 30 minutes the half rack was already there eating them. He actually text messaged me in my blind to say he was staring at an eight pointer eating his apples...boy did that get me going! Hopefully I'll get a picture up off of his camera of the half rack.    
   Myself, well I had the company of a cardinal, a couple woodpeckers, and a gang of chicadees in my stand even having the chicadees jumping on my string and wizzing past my face.  It was a beautiful evening, but yet again, no deer sighted for me.  The bait wasn't even touched...odd.  Looks like tomorrow my buddy will be letting his first stand rest and I'll be heading nearer to his stand to set up my treestand and try to draw some out of the bedding area.  I also need to bait up my other stand set up for a north wind.  

It sure is exciting when we come back in after dark to see how each other has done. I sure would like to see him see a big buck and get a pop at it.  

Manny-  We're deer hunting.  Only open till January 5th so we'll be hunting hard till then.

Salvatore-  Yes, it sure is peaceful in that swamp.  It's almost as if the deer appear from thin air at times...it's like roaming through a blanket of possibilities searching for that peace that can be found in such a place.

Well, it's off to bed for this guy.  A very Merry Christmas to you all and I'll give you guys another update with more pictures after the hunt tomorrow. Hopefully I can give one the old two blade tomorrow!  Good night, Matt

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Good story   :thumbsup:  That looks just like around here;) Hope you get a good un.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 06:06:00 AM »
Very cool Matt, looking forward to more....how the heck do you shoot out of that blind?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
looks like he shoots in between the logs.... just like a pop-up  blind.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
great stuff Matt, good to see you get real snow there! beautifull looking place.

keep it comming.........i wanna see some RED on that snow
  :D    :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
awesome pics. We are headed up near Phillips soon for a late season bowhunt. It is always a fun hunt. Where are you hunting?

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
Good morning!    

Curt-  I am able to shoot right between the logs.  The setup is just right for when a deer is at the baitpile. No shot anywhere else, but these deer are really spooky this time of year around bait.  I need all the help I can get. With this setup I have to lean forward to see out and shoot allowing me to remain hidden behind some tree roots until I can get a shot.  The bait is at about 15-18 yards or so...just right.  

Clay- We're hunting a ways North of Appleton.  We are fortunate enough to have private land owned by his family to hunt on and permission from some of the neighboring properties. Good luck on your hunt up in Phillips.  Do you guys bait them up there?  

Andy and James- Thanks for the encouragement guys!  Hopefully tonight will be the night it comes together.

Hopefully pics later this evening with a story to tell. Have a good day guys...I'm going huntin'!!!   Matt

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
yes we do bait. That is about the only way to hunt deer in that big woods except for the rut because they have no real bedding/feeding areas. The big woods is all the same. We hunt private land too. My dads friend owns 200 acres and a cabin, but is trying to sell it, so this may be our last year up there. Best of luck to you as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©