3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snake skin removal  (Read 278 times)

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
Snake skin removal
« on: December 24, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I have a glass laminated longbow with snake skin on it and the bow needs to be refinished.  I want to remove the skin and refinsh without skins.  Whats the best way to remove the skins?  I was planning to use a scraper.  Any ideas?
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Snake skin removal
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Use a single edge razor blade to lift the skin near the limb tip overlay and then just slide it under the skin at an angle down the limb. Keep the angle acute.  Too high, and the blade will dig into the glass underneath.  Some glue residue will remain, which can easily be sanded off with 220 or finer grit sandpaper.  

Of course, a sanding block and 120 or so grit can also be used to sand off the skin.  If you use that method, will need to change the paper fairly often as it will will fill with finish and snakeskin residue.  And a perfectly flat sanding block is essential to keep from sanding valleys into your bow limb.  

A scraper will also work, of course, but be sure you don't have any protrusions in the blade that can cut into the glass underneath the skins.

Always use a flat block behind any sandpaper you use to work the back and belly of limbs regardless of how you remove the skins.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©