3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I hate Thieves!  (Read 910 times)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I hate Thieves!
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
I agree with Jeff U.

I know if it were me I might have some visions of an arrow passing through his lungs as he drags away my stand.

Really though, whoever took your stand isn't worth a second thought.He will bring about his own demise soon enough.

The best revenge is living well.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
i had the first tree stand my oldest bro gave me stolen the first year i used it. I konw who did it, but i got him back. You see, it aint wise to take something that belongs to a Police Officer! My brother and I busted him for DUI, resisting arrest, and a few other charges we were able to tacked on! never got my stand back, but he has left our stuff alone since.
No when we find ANY stand on the property we have access to, we call the landowner and most of them are not suppose to be there. now we have a whole pile of stands at our disposal on the farm

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Mike is hunting on a private golf community, well away from anyone's property. The fellow he is talking about lives adjacent to the highway on a small piece of ground, and flagrantly walks in from the back of his land a thousand yards to where Mike has his stands set up- and steals it.

It isn't bad enough that he poaches private land he isn't supposed to be on...he also is the lowest of the low- a sneak thief.

I cannot tell you how many of these jerks we have had to deal with in our suburban hunting program- they aren't poor, they aren't without the resources to find their own place to hunt..they are worse because they break the law in order to get their "thrill".

We caught four of them a few years ago- they parked on private property with their brand new four wheel drive pickups, drove less than a year old four wheelers onto the property, and armed with 270 caliber semiauto rifles they were standing on the ground covey shooting a group of does, not more than 30 yards from a golf course fairway while groups of golfers were playing through!!! At least a dozen shots were fired- five does were killed....and 7 shots didn't connect, at least luckily not with the golfers.

The whole time our guy is sitting in a treestand not twenty yards away from the shooter. He called the DNR, they arrived, arrested all of them and confiscated the deer, the four wheelers, and the rifles.

Scumbags.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
http://www.yanchor.com/profile.html

A bit pricey, but perhaps if they can't cut it, drill it, or shoot it might discourage them. A shame one would have to resort to such measures to protect hard earned hunting equipment, but wanted to share an option. Or ya could just beat the ()ell out of em.  :knothead:

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Or dip them in honey and chain them to a tree near a fire ant mound.  Pick up the bones later.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
Jeff U, and RH Clark,
no offense but the theives feed on the weak and prosper in the world of "just look the other way and they'll get it in the end"
I say give it to um good here and now. Then theres no doubts.
Hard to live well when you work for months to squirrel enough away for a good stand just to have some dirtbag looking for a free ride steal it from you

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
I like the trail cam idea.
Except if I decide to take a leak and don't know your stand is there...

:o
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
if ya get this person ya could always drop an axe on his fingers that way he wont be taking any more tree stands  :goldtooth:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Jeff, you from Iran?
  :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by jct:
Jeff U, and RH Clark,
no offense but the thieves feed on the weak and prosper in the world of "just look the other way and they'll get it in the end"
I say give it to um good here and now. Then theres no doubts.
Hard to live well when you work for months to squirrel enough away for a good stand just to have some dirtbag looking for a free ride steal it from you
Don't get me wrong, I think you take action.  Report to police, wardens, etc...  I also realize that this will most likely be for naught as the police will not be able to prove a crime.

But to take things into your own hands and to wage "war” is where I think a big problem could develop,

Humor me and imagine these potential headlines:

"Local man arrested, charged with assault and attempted murder,  after shooting thief that stole his deer stand."

"Local man shot and killed while attempting to extract revenge from the thief that stole his deer stand.  Thief arrested, charged with murder."

"Local man arrested after shooting an innocent man he believed stole his deer stand."

Any of those would be a sad story.

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
The other day I was hunting with my dad.I climbed up into the stand and started looking around.I saw some punk walking right across the food plot.I told our "guide"(the guy that was letti9ng us hunt there)what i had saw right when it happened.The "guide" caught him and had a chat that included the words "next time I'll leave you laying on the ground and get the game warden to take you to jail".This was private property.
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Offline JD Pope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
A good friend and shooting buddy had a stand stolen off of private land 3 years ago. He was able to track where the thief took it to the next piece of property and set it up in another tree. It was his least favorite stand so instead of taking it back he cut the strap on the off side of the tree away from the steps almost all the way through and just left it there. That next weekend a 17 year old punk thief got a broken ankle, a lesson in gravity, and a valuable lesson about stealing.

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
It sucks that this guy "is".   He will be held accountable someday, to a much higher power with far longer lasting consequences!  Until then, don't let him ruin your hunt!!!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline elkbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
i loose quite a few every year it seems,the wife and i film so when the thieves get one they get two but i'll tell you what the real bummer is is when they leave 2 or 3 steps in the tree and you have to go up and remove them,and you can't hang one in they're place cause you know they'll be back in the area sometime.
kevin moore

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
I cant stand a thief.  i had two stands stolen off private property once and ended up cathcing the guy who did it.  It wasnt very pretty because come to find out he was the same fellow that had stolen two 4 wheelers from the farmer.  It was real bad for him!!!!
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Never had a single treestand or anything removed from our property set stands up a month before season and they are always there.
 Thats why I was puzzeled when I found a game camera missing in July searched and searched for cam until the mystery was solved I had attached a solar panel and large battery to camera and needed sunlight same sunlight a dope grower needs found a patch about 5'diameter 100yds from game cam. I went back to camp wrote on the back of a posted sign I want my camera back I have other cams and pics of you if camera is not left right here with your dope when you harvest I am going to the cops with all photos and info. tyed the note to his plants.
 To my amazment he brought the camera battery solar panel and a picture of himself the only one I have and left everything right were I told him.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Rico.......thats hilarious
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
Here's a suggestion, hang a little sign on your tree or ladder that says something like, "SMILE! YOU'RE ON HIDDEN CAMERA." Chances are they'll cover their face and walk off without stealing your treestand - even if you really don't have have a camera there.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Mike, I've been waiting for these to come back in stock to give them a try..
     www.standguardian.com
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Maybe a sign "Unless you've found my camera's I wouldn't be taking anything that doesn't belong to you unless you want to go to jail"
  All the cameras I have put out are pretty conspicuous even with good camo I wouldn't really put any around or you're probably going to lose both ts and cam. Just a note to keep them guessing

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©