3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyotes  (Read 334 times)

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Coyotes
« on: December 25, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
How do you all hunt coyotes? I've watched videos and stuff,even have a couple of calls. I've just not been out after them. They are around here in good numbers now.    :help:      :campfire:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Get in the area QUIET and watch your scent . They come to call really easy in the winter,once anyways! I've called in more with lip squeaks than electronics,but I've done it a lot more. Get in the shade with cover behind ya and if possible a tree or two in front to draw the bow.They're SHARP!!
Get after em and good luck!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Eastern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Here in Nova Scotia we go in about an hour before daylight and give a couple of howls.  When you get one yell back find a good spot to sit.  Making sure you sit in a location that the wind does not give you away. (the wind is our worse enemy)  Also do not sit in a location that could silluette your body (at the top of hills etc)  Start calling lightly so as not to scare dogs off that may be close by.  You have to remember that a rabbits lungs are small so you do not have to let loose with a real screecher.  Call for a few minutes and wait for 5-10 min and then try it again.  In the winter, if there is one around they WILL be there shortly.  DO NOT MOVE (movement is our second worse enemy)  If nothing comes in after 15 mins or so try the sequence again louder.  If they do not come in after 30min move QUIETLY to another location and try all over again.  I realize many people have various ways of doing this.  Myself and a few friends do it this way and have good luck.  Hope this helps.
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I use a couple different critter calls. As mentioned, they come in real fast in the winter cause they are hungry. Once they get with in 75 yards they get real warry. It is super tough to get a draw on one if they are looking for you. If you have a friend along it helps to have the caller sit back a ways.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »
Coyotes see color, have fantastic noses and ears and are smart. I call them and completely camo up. complete means face and everything. Use a good cover scent. The average coyote comes in within the first 7 min. I limit the call for coyotes to about 15 min and move several hundred yards. Look downwind and move very slowly. try to pull the bow when the animal moves behind a tree or something. When I say move I mean your head only. This is going to be about as hard to do successfully with a bow as anything you can do.

Another good way is with an electronic caller set upwind from you about 20 to 30 yards and a feather tied to a string over it. this will allow you better shots than having the coyote pinpoint you when you call. If you want to go for cats add about 20 more minutes.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Good info here guys,keep it coming.   :campfire:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »
Coyotes called to the bow is a tall order.

If there aren`t alot of people calling to them in your area, it will make it easier to find out what works best for your particular area.

Where I live, the traditional rabbit distress call
is almost totally inneffective now. There are alot of hunters using calls and few of them are doing it correctly. They are providing a good education for the already wiley coyote.

STEALTH is the key. Noise and movement can end the hunt before it gets started. Call softly at first, and increase the volume after you have gotten no response. Always assume a yote is close by, cause they probably are.

As already stated, scent is your enemy. I believe a coyote has a nose far superior to almost any animal. You won`t hide your scent from him. You have to shoot him before he smells you.

As with any hunting endeavor, advice helps, but you must do most of the learning yourself if you don`t have someone to SHOW you.

My advice would be to first call SOFTLY.(for thick cover) Expect a yote to get the wind in his face when he responds to your call. Expect long range shots.(30 yds or more) A yote can come from 400 yards and know within a few feet where the sound originated. When he gets to thirty yards or so he will know he should see what he is coming for, thats where
a small group of feathers gently moving from the wind will help. I would highly suggest a back up gunner, someone who can shoot.

Best of luck, I have tried many times to call a yote and take him with an arrow. I have been close
and even drew blood, but ended up tracking in the snow and finishing what I started with a .22 mag.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Good advice Bone buster.

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
i just walk out my front door...lotta songdogs here...
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©