3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 7 lakes longbows  (Read 334 times)

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
7 lakes longbows
« on: December 25, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me bout them
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Eric B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 7 lakes longbows
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
My son got one of the blanks 2-3 yrs. ago.It shoots real nice.He shot off and on for a couple of years and went back to a compound - oh well. He might sell his. If your interested let me know.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Own one, wouldn't mind owning another.  Good blanks, darn good bows with a little work.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
Great shooting longbows! I have had mine for 2 1/2 yrs.

In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Mike Ballinger,owner made mine when he sold completed bows.
I will say this-every year I hunted with the 7 Lakes (57lb. 66 inch) I got a whitetail, i.e. 3 8pts and one doe stalked on the ground.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Had one kit made up for me, by Mike. Very nice bow, quick, very little "shock" and not hard to finish up.
Mike supplies a very comprehensive set of directions for finishing off the blank kit, so you ain;t left in the dark, AND he is very good at answering your questions, should you have any.
I would not hesitate to purchase another bow blank from Mike.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
Sweet bows, pretty quick for a mild R/D and very stable. I have owned two of Mikes bows and I am sorry I parted with either one. I may get a blank one day and see how I do. Ya cannot go wrong with one of his bows. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
I too am interested in these bow blanks because you can get them for a whole lot less than almost all of the longbows out there.
I would like to see some Before and After pics of them if anyone has any.

Are thet really not that hard to complete?  What is the hardest part of finishing one of his kits?

Nala

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
SANDING is the hardest part of completeing the "kit"
It isn't really hard, just tedious, and the quality of the sanding you do reflects on the finish you get.

I did have a bit of bother with the string grooves, but this was only the second bow I had worked on.

On a personal opinion, I though the tip overlays on mine should have been thicker. If I do this again, I will use some red, or black phenolic under the wood to build my overlays up a bit.

For a finish, I used ten coats of "Minwax" spray on poly, (gloss) and five coats of "Minwax" spray on poly, satin. These are THIN coats, too, and I sanded after each coat had FULLY dried. (600 grit)

A thin strip of leather was glued to the arrow shelf, and a another to the side of the arrow pass, just to keep things quiet.

If you are uncomfortable wtih putting on tip and grip overlays, Mike will do that, too, for a nominal fee, but it isn't really difficult.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
To address R.W.s concerns if ya order a blank tell Mike how far ya want it completed. He will do quite a bit like cut in the shelf, almost finish the string grooves and such. It will cost ya a tad more but he will help ya out a lot. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©