3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Bison Gear pack for whitetails?  (Read 485 times)

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Bison Gear pack for whitetails?
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Merry Christmas to all !

I want a Bison Gear pack for treestand hunting whitetails.
Can you give me some of your suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Best
Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline bowbert

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Bison Gear pack for whitetails?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
Scoter,

I've got a Bison Gear Selway made out of filson wool that I use for whitetails in Michigan.  It is heavier than some of the other packs out right now, but it's really put together nicely.   It is queit, and has enough room for me to pack in my cold weather gear for a long stand.  I used it on my elk hunt this fall, and that took some getting used to.  But now that I've learned to use it, I like it.

By the way, Bison Gear is usually at the Kalamozoo expo so you could see their stuff first hand.

Good hunting,
Bret

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I realy, realy, realy like the Bison Gear Elk Hunter. I do not hunt without it. I use it out west as my daypack, and back home in Illinois it goes out with me for whitetails every time. I use some camera equipment and it holds a lot of stuff in cold weather. I have the wool outer shell and they are all lined. It is new last year and may not get as much advertising, but for me it is the best.
Mike

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
Oh.. I forgot, I just took this buck this past weekend. The pack makes a nice pillow. Ha!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Don't no about the pack but that is a heck of a nice whitetail. Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

Offline buckshot95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
CONGRATS!!! that is a sweet buck. GOOD JOB~!
52#@28"-60" Thunder Stick Moab
45#@28"-64" Fred Bear Montana

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
HerdBull
If I get that pack will I get to shoot a whitetail that big next year?Hehe..Nice Buck

That guys..I'm going to order one tomorrow.
Best
Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
First I would look at what you want to carry and then choose the pack that will do the job for you.  I have had four Bison Gear pack and still currently have two.  Both are the Lost River model.  One in Outfitters Camo Wool and the other in Skyline Aparition Excell Bucksuede.  The wool pack is heaver than the other material, but since you sound like you are doing day hunts for deer from a tree stand the weight should not be a big consideration.    I have been very pleased with this model.  I would rather carry a little larger pack that is not quite full than try to carry a fanny pack, or other pack, that is over stuffed.  The Lost River has one compartment plus the two side pouches and possibly two pouches on the hip belt.  Enough compartments for small and large items.  My first pack was a First Trip Explorer and I just did not care for the two compartment main bag, but that’s just me.  Like others have said, it is nice to be able to see and try a pack before you buy it, which is very important.  If you hope to use the pack on other type hunts that may also be a consideration.
With that said, my best friend that I have deer hunted with for 30+ years uses a $9 camo gym bag with a shoulder strap from Wal-Mart.  He just puts the stuff in it he needs for the day and is off to his stand.  Go figure.  
Good luck.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Goose You are right. It all depends on what you're doing. I carry camera equipment and the heavy wool provides added protection. I practice shooting with the shoulder pack on as well.  Mike

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
Hi Mike,

Sounds like you got the pack that works great for you, which I should have said before.  Bison Gear offers several pack so I am sure Bob can find something that works for him.
Nice deer guy...will we see you at the PBS banquet in March?
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
Yes I will be at PBS banquet. Myself and my two brothers along with Gene and Barry will be giving a seminar on the behind the scenes making of Primal Dreams video. We also plan to show a video tribute to Bart Schleyer. Angelo from Bison Gear had a booth at the last banquet, so I hope he will be at this one and show some packs as well.  Stop by and say hi. Mike

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
Hi Mike,

Will do.

Goose

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
I think the Lost River will fill all my needs.
Thanks
Guys

Best
Bob

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
I have the Lost River , bought it last year at Kzoo. It really is a nice pack & works good for a deer pillow too  :bigsmyl:  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Stop with the pack pillow pic's with big bucks...NOW

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Brian-
What kind of bowquiver is that?
Thanks
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
Gun,check your pm, dont want to hyjack the thread anymore.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Well at least I learned from this thread that I've been doing it all wrong.  I always take my pack up in the tree with me.  Here all along I should have been laying it on the ground and waiting for a deer to "bed down" on it.  Go figure.  I'm not sure which Bison Gear pack I have, maybe a Lemhi?  It fills all my needs from hiking after caribou to sitting in an old hackberry tree.  I do however take way too much stuff with me and it still amazes me how much that little loop hanger will hold.  Angelo will once again be set up at the PBS banquet.  He has always been very good to PBS, donating packs to all the youth on the youth hunts and also to the banquet auction itself.  See  you there!

Offline BMejia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
I have "the outfitter" and i consider it too large for my needs treestand hunting. i use it elk hunting as a day pack and it suits me perfect. i do not carry much and prefer a small fanny pack or possibles bag for whitetails.

as mentioned before, buy the pack that suits your needs. i can assure you, you will be happy with a bison gear. they are made very well.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
I have never hunted for whitetails. That being said, I have spent the majority of my fall hunting Elk in the Rocky Mtns. I own a First Trip Explorer and it has performed exceptionally well. The wool defeats every weather situation and its design works well with every hunting situation. Good luck, I firmly believe that you cannot go wrong with any Bison Gear product, I love their packs and they are continually finding ways to address traditional bowhunter's needs. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©