3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Tip or Carbon Express Preference  (Read 402 times)

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Gold Tip or Carbon Express Preference
« on: December 25, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Guys:
For those who have experience shooting both Gold Tip Traditionals and Carbon Express Heritage arrows, do you have a preference between the two? If so, what is the basis of that preference?

This past year I hunted with GTs with good results, but I am now thinking of experimenting CE Heritage shafts. I would greatly appreciate you sharing your experience shooting these two shafts.

Labs
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Tip or Carbon Express Preference
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I shoot both. Some of my bows like the GT's better and vis versa. I will say this, the Carbon Express arrows are tuffer than the gold tips, and they are a bit heavier. I dont think you could go wrong with either.

Offline stickbowdave1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
i shoot the gt I think there great plus I coach a youth archery program and every year GT donates 2 dozen arrows

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
I've shot them both.  I prefer the CE because they are more durable than the GTs and pretty easy to tune.  My son shoots GTs 3555 because they shoot better for him, but he breaks a lot of them.  Hope to get him shootin' the new CE 90s this spring. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
up
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
CE's are far more durable to me, especially the old Terminator Hunter shaft. Getting some of the new Rebel hunter shafts to test and hope they will be nearly as tough as the old shafts.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline flat-lander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Carbon Express are a lot tougher.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
The CE 150 are a 7 layer where the GT3555 have a 5 layer which makes the CE toughter! I shoot both of these in a 47# longbow @28"with great results. I perfer the CX because of the finished weight with a alum.screwin insert.They come out 350 grains without point while the GT comes out at 250 grains cut 29". I had some trouble with the GT being different spine when I bought them three different times over a one year period because they were made in two different factories. I fletch the GT with feathers and Duco glue and you cannot pull them off.I use 100 grain steel 5 degree insert and my broadhead to get a 565 grain arrow. You can adjust to a steel insert of 75,100, or 125 grain.  Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
up, up, up

Thanks for the input!

Offline Stykbow62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
I have both and the CE Heritage are definitely more durable.
Bob Lee Sig. Recurve 15" Riser 56@28"
Quinn Stallion Recurve 60@28"
Roland Jenkins Recurve 54@28"

Offline bjohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
footed carbon express will never die....
58" 55@28 ozark mountain longbow
54" 48@28 jeffreys royal T/D
62" 50@28 Black Canyon 3pc T/D
62" 59@28 Crow creek 3pc T/D

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I've shot both the GT and CE.  I have yet to crack a CE this year, there real tough, I've hit enough dirt and rocks to know   :knothead:   .  Like Slayer said there also a little heavier. Labs there a post a few pages back called Merry X'mas from the Martinez crew take a look I'm sure you'll enjoy.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
I have shot both and the carbon express are a lot tougher than the gold tips other than that they are both good shootin arrows.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Carbon Express Rebel is my favorite shaft, but I just started shooting carbons this year. I find that they are a little heavier (10gpi), which I really like, durable, and less expensive than most. I also like that they are a flat charcoal color so that I can dress them up with wraps, never cared too much for camo or faux wood finishes myself. In fact I just ordered another dozen just to have around. Usually when I like something this well it gets discontinued. I get them from yeoldearcheryshoppe.com. (hope I can say that)
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
How much are the CE's?  I have a hard time passing on the GT Trad blems from Sipsey River for $40 a dozen...in fact just ordered a bunch today - trying a heavier spine so I can load up the front end for Africa this year.  Hard to believe the CE's are that much more durable, but that sounds like the consensus.  Good info.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
So far, in all the 3D's, stump shots, roving on rocky ground, hunting, etc...I've only broken 1 Carbon Express. That was on a piece of hefty rebar. Broke off a 1/2" of the end of the shaft. That's it. Never shot GT's, just my 2 cents on the matter...

BTW, those CE's WEREN'T footed. When I shot Axis and Beman shafts, I thought footings were the cat's meow. These CE's are so tuff, I just don't see the need...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
I shoot 55/75 GT. A friend shoots 35/55 GT. I have checked the spine on all of them and found them to be off. 35/55=.500 spine.  found them between .550 &.420  55/75=.400 spine. found them between .450 & 320. As for the shaft itself(55/75), I tested at eatch fletching (3 points) .410 cock feather, .380 first hen, and .395 last hen. The spine is NOT 360 deg. as for the weight of the shafts, they can be off as much as 40gr between each dz. Quality control On the ones I have bought is poor at best. I'm going to CE shafts becuse they clame better spine control and better quality. This is just what I have found.............Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
I have shot both and I have found the Carbon Express to be more durable and more consistent.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©