3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Bows Too Simple/Too Plain?  (Read 884 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill Bows Too Simple/Too Plain?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
If you are trad shooter , bowhunter,  I thinks most of us go through our Howard Hill phase , some of us stick with it, move pass and beyond it. While others like myself , go in and out and back to the simple longbow of the Howard Hill style bow ...some bowyers have improved this design ...either way , I never get tired of reading or talking , or shooting a Hill style bow.   :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 06:17:00 AM »
I got to this one late.   My wall is almost all Hills... lots of them.    If you want to see beauty in Hills, take a look at the 2008 Hill Longbowmen calendar.   It's a free download...

http://tinyurl.com/yqc8jr

I wasn't working in pdf files last year, but I do plan to go back and "pdf" the 2007 calendar so that it will also be dowload available, as I keep getting asked for it.

Dick in seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Dick, when i didn't see you post here i thought you fell off the face of the earth   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks Ghost Dog and Bayoulongbowman, I think both of you made the point I was thinking of, simple is good. I know that I sometimes get wrapped up in hi-tech fast bows and lose sight of why I shoot a bow, the simplicity of grip it and rip it.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Hey KodiakBob,

Simple is good. So is uncomplicated and uncluttered, if that is what appeals to you. It certainly does to me and many others.

From the perspective of many bowyers, new materials and new limb profiles and impressive chronograph results coupled with multiple overlays and fancy grips bring in the orders, and increasing business is vital for these guys, and they deserve our respect for their creativity and craftsmanship.

There are, however, many bowyers who have made their reputations with simple, uncluttered, elegant looking bows with simple lines that perform fantastically; Howard Hill, Great Northern, Northern Mist, Liberty Bows come to mind. And then there is the world of selfbows!

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
I have noticed that most people that declare that Hill bows are not accurate don't know how to shoot Hill style.  I find Hill bows more accurate than most others when i shoot and recurve always remind me how clumsy they are when I try to shoot under something to hit a rabbit.

Online Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
One problem I see (from clsssidied ads & ****) is that many guys are ordering their Howard Hill longbows way shorter in length and drawing them way longer than Howard Hill himself would have recommended. Consider a guy like me, 6' 0" with regular sleeve length. From reading his books & bow catlaogs, I believe Mr. Hill would've set me up with a 68" amo longbow & a 27 1/2" or 28" arrow. Today, I see guys of my height ordering 62" to 64" AMO HH longbows & drawing them 30" or more. That has to be an unpleasant shooting experience for this style of longbow.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Yes sir , give me 66 or 68 or 70 longbow any day!!I agree with ya Clint B. .I love shooting 61# in 68 incher!! mark#78  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I'm 5'11" and I shoot a 68" Hill bow tillerd for 28" but I pull it closer to 29"
    I personaly would not want a Hill bow less than 66" >>>------>
    When ya order a Hill bow, talk to Craig and he will set ya up with the proper length....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Agreed, 68-70 inches seems to be the traditional Hill length for a 28 inch draw.  I have a just shy of 28-inch draw and have shot Hills from 64 to 68 inches.  If I were doing mostly target shooting, I'd stick with 68 inches, but for hunting, I feel a little awkward with that length.  66 inches seems to be the sweet hunting length for me.  Purely in my head, of course, but that's why I have a 68 incher up for trade now.  Hint.  Hint.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I think even with my Height and draw, that Craig will tell ya 64" will work....
    Butt, I think a longbow is just not a long bow unless it's at least 66" minimum....
    Nothing scientific here just my toughts on the subject....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
I have a real short draw, 25", and Craig started me out at 64".   Later, on take downs I went to 60" and actually liked it and did well with it.... have two 60" td's and a 60" cheetah.   However, with experience comes wisdom (we hope...) and the last several bows I have ordered I have followed the practice of ordering an inch longer than my draw and a notch lower weight than i though I wanted...   So, I'm now shooting bows that are 66", a bit longer than Howard would have recommended for me,  and drawing them a hair short of tillered length, but not grossly underdrawing, as happens when i try to shoot a bow made for 28".   I order the weight at the longer draw.   My next Hill, due here in February, will be 66" and 45# @ 26"... which will make it a very smooth, easy 42# or so for my achey old shoulder.  If all goes as planned, this will be a fun, easy bow for me to shoot in 3D for several more years.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
I traded for a Howard Hill bow on here last spring and now have three of them.I wasn't sure I would like from what I had heard about handshock.I guess that can be subjective.The first Hill had a dacron string and it had handshock when I put on some string silencers.Then I took them out and the handshock was almost gone.My other Big Five has ebony tip overlays and I put on a D97 and what a difference that makes in handshock.I really love shooting them,I've shot longbows for years R/D and some hybrids.For some they are quite addictive,I have found that out myself.My latest Big five has a gaboon ebony riser with black glass laced grip with a high gloss finish,it is a beautiful bow.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Simple? You could say that. Simple is a good thing.

Plain? Hardly! They're like a woman that does'nt have to put on a bunch of makeup to look good.

Eric

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:

Plain? Hardly! They're like a woman that does'nt have to put on a bunch of makeup to look good.

Very well said.
Im hooked on Hills for that simplicity...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Ketzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 03:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
Simple? You could say that. Simple is a good thing.

Eric
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
On the 7th day god created the bow to allow us to defend ourselves against the wicked dinosaurs    ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©