3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Many of you have written magazine articles?  (Read 769 times)

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
Many of you have written magazine articles?
« on: December 26, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
Not that you would be bragging , just that you should be proud that you can put a pen to your success. Issue - month -  year or can we see it on line?
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Many of you have written magazine articles?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
Well before taking up Trad archery I spent a little time convincing myself that I would starve if I ever became a free lance writer. I published my first article in Archery World back in the 80s. It was a rush seeing my name in print the first time.

I subsequently published a couple in North American Whitetail, Deer and Deer Hunting, and New York Sportsman. I also sold several that were subsequently "killed" by editors with no taste. ;-) It's fun, you make a little cash and you can send a copy to your hunting buddies and your mother, but I wouldn't want to try to make a living at it.

46r

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I had several articles turned down,but the wvba did publish one in "The Voice". The clubs newsletter.    :campfire:

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
I had a couple published in Bowhunter a few years back. I've also written articles for Western Bowhunter, PBS, Pope & Young, and my state bowhunter organizations magazine.

I'm not really a writer, I just get bored from time to time:>)
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
So,what's the trick to getting one published?

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
DB,

Not sure if your response was written to me. If so, I'm hardly qualified to answer. I suppose that most of the 'paying' magazines want something a little different in subject material that catches the readers imagination....in addition to it being well written. Photography is much more important than it was in the past.

As far as most club oriented magazines are concerned, most just want articles from the membership. If it's well written; they almost always take it.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Butts2 .... I have published a few in Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. The latest were a 2 part tribute article about Bart Schleyer that can be found in the July/Aug and Sept/Oct 2007 issues. I never miss a chance to let folks know about Bart. :>)
Mike

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm sending one of to PRIMITIVE ARCHER this week, hopefully it will be published   :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Do letters to the Forum count???

My stories all start the same...

"I attended a small midwestern university......"
Otto

Offline wingnut-tdy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
I've had a few published by Primitive Archer and most recently a chapter on "all natural" laminated bows for Traditional Bowyers Bible #4 due out in a month or so.

Mike

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dirty Bill:
So,what's the trick to getting one published?
In my limited experience, aside from being well written, your topic must be timed well and must be "fresh". I published every article I submitted, without ever sending a query. (A query is basically a letter to an editor describing the topic you would like to write about.) And I think the reason was that the topics were unique (at the time) and were written well enough to pass the muster.

Give it a shot. Write about something you know well. Make it entertaining and unique. Make sure it meets the publishers' guidelines, and if it gets rejected by one, send it to another. (Don't shot gun it out to multiple publications. I guarantee that will come back to bite you.)

Good luck.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
I've done a few, PBS, Deer & Deer Hunting back when they were Stump Sitters, Alberta Bowhunters newsletter. Nothing I got paid for.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
I've had a few come out in Primitive Archer, might have one coming out in a bigger magazine sometime soon. Oddly enough I haven't seen any of the articles I've had published.
Dances with Turtles

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
An article I wrote was published in Dr. James Swan's book The Sacred Art of Hunting. It starts on the same page as rocker Ted Nugent's article ends. I guess one could say the Motor City Madman and I are on the same page   :D  

Our own Pete Ward writes a regualr article in an e-zene.

Also our friend Mark Baker has had several publishings.

Not sure if they would pony up that info themselves, but I am proud to call them both friend.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
"Trick" to getting  published is to become very familiar with the  magazine you want to sell to, get the writers' guidelines and write in a fresh clear style  about  subjects that haven't been  over done. (Writers' guide lines can be gotten  for  the asking from the editor  of the magazines by mail or  e-mail.)

And as said above, make the articles timely. To do this, you will need to know the time between acceptance of an article and publishing. An article  about a Christmas hunt presented on spec  in November  is not going  to be very interesting to an editor  whose winter edition has already gone to print.

Your spelling and grammar need to be perfect and good respectively.

I wish you  all  success in  your  efforts.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
I know that Littlefeather (Curtis Kellar)is pretty darn good with a pen. I've seen his articles in TBM and the Bowyer's Journal.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
I've written a lot of articles. Too many to list. I've been published in Instinctive Archer, Traditional Bowhunter, Primitive Archer and The Bowyer's Journal. Jawge

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
I wrote a monthly column, Nocks 'N Feathers for Doug Walkers Western Bowhunter and National Bowhunter publications for 10 years.

Also had articles in PBS...one key to good articles is quality photos.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
What sane person would want to write magazene articles? All that hard work, so little pay, and then you have to take flak from armchair critics forever! I'd never even consider it. Much rather go hunting than yak about it!

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I've got one in the october 07 issue of PA Game news. I enjoy writing and hope to do more. Its not a trad article, but it is bowhunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©