3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Many of you have written magazine articles?  (Read 768 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Many of you have written magazine articles?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dirty Bill:
So,what's the trick to getting one published?
In addition to what's already been said, my best advice is learn to take good, quality photographs. Editors can fix writing problems, but they can't do a thing with bad or nonexistent photos.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
Dave, we might have to start calling you Dave2sneaky...HA!  
I've found that if I keep buying TJ and Don Thomas drinks that I still don't get articles published but we get to feeling pretty good.  
I would venture to guess that if one was a member of PBS and/or their respective state bowhunting organization, they would get their material published.  Not much pay in it, but hey, you gotta start somewhere...

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
I agree Kevin.  I'm not a writer.  The only thing I have had published was in our State traditional archers newsletter.  
Most State organization, as well as PBS, are always begging for submissions.  If a person were hoping to be published I would sure think contributing to some of those publications is a great way to get started and hone the skills that are needed.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
As Brent said, I've had several published.   Editors usually want specific kinds or types of articles...and  unique is good.   Learn to keep it "pithy" and to the point, as there are usually limits of sorts, as we all know.   Nothing like pouring your heart into a good story and  having  to pare it down to  half the size...kinda tough to take sometimes.   Also, as Jason said, pics are so important...I've had several  rejected for  lack of  good photo support!  Thank  goodness  for PBS,  and state  newsletters!  

Write because you  want to,  and  you  have a  good story to tell...but very  few  make any  real  money from it.   At least  I don't.   My time  is better  spent pounding nails if $$$ was  the  concern.    

I'm not a "how-to" kinda guy really.  My stories are mostly  just relating  the hunt  for posterity....my kids and grandkids.   We  live in the good ol' days, right now,  and it's important to write  it down.    That's  my 2 cents.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
I have written several. Some were published in State club magazines, some in newspaper type journals, many were rejected. I have also written a book which has been rejected many many times. The problem with the book is publishers never read them if written and submitted by new authors.
John

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
The most important factor in writing well is a love of writing and that of course, means reading. Plenty of sound advice in the above posts, but I would add that you need to really work on it--a friend once showed me something he'd written that was a sound 1st draft on a good topic. He was insulted when I suggested it would be publishable after 4 or 5 rewrites and gave up. In truth it was better than most of my 1st drafts. Editors appreciate it when you make their jobs easy. Read aloud as part of your revision process.

Offline W. H. Bill Fuller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
I've written a few dating back to 1970.  I'm no writer but it is fun, once in a while, to relate a hunt, especially a very special one.
Bow shootin' 51 years & still counting.
MT Bowhunters Assoc. Life Member

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
True enough, Reg. A writer has to have thick skin. Also, I spend hours and hours rewriting.  The computer has made that process easier. Let me add that fledgling writers may want to begin writing about topics that elicit passionate emotions in them. These emotions will come forth in their writing. Further, I always have a problem with the comment, "One picture is worth a 1000 words." I'm sure glad Longfellow didn't listen to that! Let the pictures supplement good writing. Jawge

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
I had an article published in TBM on Learning Archery a few years back.  After it was published an archer friend asked me what was going to be the subject of my next article.I told him "I don't have anything else to say so it may be awhile.  So far I have stuck to it.
Pete Darby

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I had five bowyer interviews published in TBM plus a couple more on other topics, one or two pieces in the PBS magazine, and a couple at least in the Instinctive Archer magazine, which is no longer published unfortunately.  It was one of the best.  The time and effort it takes to develop a good idea, write the story, get good pics, and maybe travel as was necessary to get the bowyer interviews were more work than the resulting check which often hardly covered my expenses!  From my meager efforts I don't know how anybody makes a living as an outdoor writer!  Must be paid more than we who just submit occasional pieces.  It was fun while I did it but got to be more of a chore for what it paid me.  Also it seems TBM relies more on regulars now than in the past even though I still see some submissions by newcomers which I always enjoy seeing.  

One key is that they are not looking for "me and Joe went hunting" stories, and you need to stay away from formulaic writing, for lack of a better term.  You need to have a somewhat different slant on the story, a fresh idea, something with wide interest.  And as Jason W. notes, they want good pictures to help tell the story.  Some acquaintance with standard English helps as well.  

I will say that what I appreciated about doing business with TBM is the fact that they paid up front for the article when they signed a contract for it.  If they never decided to run it it was their loss and not yours (that never happened to me by the way).  Other magazines I did business with contracted with me but did not pay until the article was published.  It could take a while before you got paid.  Of course, PBS does not pay for submissions. Give it a try if you have the urge--you just might be pleasantly surprised. And just to make sure I'm clear on one matter, I did not write for the money but the enjoyment, but it came in handy and helped me add to my wall of bows!......Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
I had my first paid article in the most recent Bowyers Journal (also cover photo). There is no chance that writing magazine articles will pay the bills or even the associated expenses. You may get some return if you spend a lot on hunting and can figure a way to write that off your taxes. Note: the IRS frowns on business models that show a loss many years in a row.

Writing may be a lot like traditional archery. You do it because you can't help it. One of those, "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand" things.

I like what Reg said. Reading is the key to writing. If you spend all your time in front of the TV you're up the creek. If you can't stop reading you probably can't stop writing.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Reg Darling:
The most important factor in writing well is a love of writing and that of course, means reading. Plenty of sound advice in the above posts, but I would add that you need to really work on it--a friend once showed me something he'd written that was a sound 1st draft on a good topic. He was insulted when I suggested it would be publishable after 4 or 5 rewrites and gave up. In truth it was better than most of my 1st drafts. Editors appreciate it when you make their jobs easy. Read aloud as part of your revision process.
Very good point. The last time I payed attention, I found I usually rewrite a piece well over a dozen times before I'm remotely happy with it.

Offline Reg Darling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Think about what distinguishes a truly superb bow--it's in the glue lines, the fade outs, tip overlays and indefinable grace in the way it's shaped. The same holds true for writing and it's achieved by exercising the same patient attention to detail.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
I have had articles published in regional club newsletters.  One appeared in Missouri bowhunter, written about Earl Hoyt Jr. shortly after his death. I received a very nice letter from his widow Anne, which is among my most treasured keepsakes.

Last year my new years resolution was to be published in TBM, and I held fast to that.  My first TBM article will be appearing some time in the spring of 08, hopefully with many more to follow.

For me, a few college English classes probably helped.  I pursued a degree in criminology and one of my sociology profs used to conduct rather odd midterms.  He would pull subjects from a hat, and you had 90 mins to write a 750 word essay on the subject.  I always scored over 85%, it just bugged me that he used to deduct points for punctuation.  A hand written essay in 90 minutes on the relationship between the burgoise and the prolitariat, and it's related matter in todays world, and he deducts points for missing an apostrophe!
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
I had two article this year in TBM and one in Bowyers Journal.

Should have another coming out soon in TBM about a season and hunt shared with my Dad and son......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
I've been asked to but never got around to it. I have given input on several articles on the future of hunting and one other major topic that is hopefully dead and gone.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
inaugural issue of Eastman's Bowhunting Journal.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
3 in TBM with another coming out in the next issue or 2 ("Friends in Snow Places")and 1 in Sport Fishing Magazine.

All of you should write or keep a journal. The collective experiences of those who "camp" here are too valuable to let fade away with time. Perhaps a "Best of Trad Gang" collection of essays and memories ??

DonD
DonD

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Only in the Trad Bowhunters of Georgia quarterly, so far.  But then again, we beg for anything to fill the space.  So unless it is obscene, you can get published really easy!

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
I've sent in 3 to TBJ.  One was published last winter/spring.  1 out of 3, just about the same as my shooting accuracy!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©