3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many of you shoot 70# or more?  (Read 520 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
How many of you shoot 70# or more?
« on: December 26, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
The other post about 50# or less got me thinking that there has to be more of us out there than I think.  I shoot my Bear Custom T.D. 70# a little but usually shoot my 80# longbow for 90% of my shooting and hunting.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many of you shoot 70# or more?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
I shoot between 70 & 80# for 3Ds & for garden practice, but for hunting I prefer a lighter bow around 57-60# The lighter bows I shoot are, pound for pound, better performers than the heavyweights, so the trajectory out to 25yds is virtually the same. I'd rather have abow I'm 100% at ease with in a hunting situation, rather than something I may inadvertantly short-draw.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »
I shoot nothing under 75lbs..................

And if I were to shoot a bow less than that my accuracy and confidence would suffer. My go to hunting bow is a 60" 75lb Silvertip. Squirrels or Whitetails are all getting the same thing.

It's what I shoot

It all is a matter of what works for you.

Tim

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Tim,

I couldn't agree more.  I tried a couple of years back to shoot 60# but I had no confidence in the bow and I couldn't hold still enough to shoot and hit anything.  Like you, I've never had a single animal complain that I wasn't shooting enough bow from bunnies to bear.  I know the  contingent is the old accuracy thing but I just wondered if there were others who have trouble with accuracy shooting light.

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I do normally. I'm at 60# right now since I just started hunting again.    :campfire:

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Yep, I like shooting a bow in the 70+ range, it just feels right !
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by NorthShoreLB:
Yep, I like shooting a bow in the 70+ range, it just feels right !
Yeah it does,and I'll be back there by spring.   :campfire:

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
I shoot and hunt with a Fred Bear t/d with 65# limbs but am looking for 70 to 75# newer limbs; my hunting longbow is 73#.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Texarkanatrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
all i got to say is yall are buff my longbow is 58 pounds ....even though id like to get a hevier one thats what ive got so

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
I like bows in the 70-75# range and haven't had any problems in hunting situations with them. I will probably drop poundage as I grow older but for the time being my confidence/comfort zone is around that point. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot whatever weight I was comfortable with, however, and I don't see any particular virtue in any personal selection of weapon or method.       GY

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
I shoot whatever I feel like shooting and depending on what I'm doing. From 55 to 75 lbs or better. I simply cannot understand healthy  men insisting on hunting moose with a 40 lb bow. It is a total lack of respect for the game and for the sport to advocate that in any way. If a person is disabled or young or simply not strong enough to shoot a bow that is adequate for the game being hunted then perhaps they might consider hunting something else. When I can not shoot at least a 50 lb bow. If that day ever comes then I will stop hunting elk and hunt deer. I mean it. My wife even worked up to 50 lbs to hunt elk and I never said a word to her about it. When she hurt her shoulder in a car wreck she stopped hunting with a bow and took up a rifle. Lord forbid that we think about something other than ourselves. Like a bull moose running around with an arrow hanging out from his rib and the effect those thing have on the animal and on the sport.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
The guy asked a simple question,,, keep on track. Don't turn this back into a "my ethics" thread.
As for me,,, I wanna work my way up to at least 65# by the years end,,, I can shoot 58# with good form. I'm shooting a 52#@25" (59#@28" but scales as mentioned on my scale) ACS CX for now,,, I'd be happy getting a set of 60# limbs later on.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I used to shoot 60-78 pounds. I only have one 70@28 right now and it's on loan from a buddy of mine. If we can come together on a price I'll buy it.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
70 lbs meant I had to take two shots!  Busted my bow elbow as a kid.  Much over 50 hurts after a few shots over that.  More power to youse guys....geesh!

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
I hunt with bows between 80# and 90#...the past season I hunted with a french 87#@28 recurve...for this hunting season I have used a 80# silvertip and for the next it will be a 90# hexV black douglas...

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm comfortable with up to 75 lbs.
That means I can shoot a 30 target 3-d shoot without wearing out at that weight.
Trouble is, I'm always gettin' the hankerin' to build another osage selfbow. Sometimes they don't make weight but are a pleasure to shoot or they're pretty or I just like the new one for some reason. So..., I often hunt with less as long as it's got umph enough to shoot through a whitetail.
Then I'll find a reason to trade it or give it away and start another bow build with the intention of ending up over 70 lbs.
It's a vicious circle. I think I have issues!
  :help:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
I apologize, I am new here and this is the first time I have ever seen trad shooters advocating shooting moose with a 40 lb bow. I guess it shocked me. Again I apologize to the forum. I did not consider whether it was personal ethics or not but you have a point. I should have just simply said I shoot 70 lbs. We should all just say I shoot 70 lb. and then everyone on the thread will be happy.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Sixby,,, you NEED to be starting threads showing the bows you've bulit!!! (if'n you're the same sixby from the wall)
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 06:26:00 PM »
Everything I own is between 63-73# at my drawlength. I don't honestly see much difference in accuracy, on paper and at the range, between 50-75# so I stay with the heavier bows for hunting. If I get much above 75# I do notice a drop in accuracy so I know my comfort zone. I guess I've always believed to stick with the heaviest weight you can accurately handle.

Chris

Offline longbow111

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
The longbow I shoot is 75#, not a big deal if thats the weight you shoot all the time.I belive if you stick with one bow or at least bows in the same weight range its not a problem.Like Chris said shoot the weight you can ACCURATELY handle.
 Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©