3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you sharpen your Muzzy Phantom 125's?  (Read 310 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you sharpen your Muzzy Phantom 125's?
« on: December 26, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Have not had to sharpen these heads yet but would like to know how my fellow TradGangers are sharpening them to shave. Your input will be appreciated.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you sharpen your Muzzy Phantom 125's?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
I use a KME sharpener. It is great. I have also used the Razoredge arrowhead jig for over 30 years but it tends to wear out after a while. The KME should last a lifetime and really shines when doing the bleeder blades.

I should add that I find the job of getting the ultimate shaving sharp razor edge is quicker to do if I first run the blade thru a wheel type sharpener like the one Simmons sells. It puts a nice hollow ground rough edge on that makes the razor edge I like much easier to attain.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
I do not have a KME, but if I did I would do exactly what Bill said above. I only have the Simmons wheelie and love it. Bill is right about the refined edge the KME would give versus the edge the wheelie puts on. With the wheelie you can sharpen the main blades only. Wheelie costs about $8, not sure about cost of a KME ?

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
TTT

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
Well thank you very much Mr. Carlsen and NoCams!

NoCams, it's unusual to hear a carbide sharpener guy recommend a stone system. Thanks again.

Bill, I don't use this forum to "push" my products. That said if you want polished surgically sharp blades then the best way to get that type of edge is with a stone system of some kind. (I do prefer the KME myself, LOL!!)

As for stones it's hard to beat the good ol' India and Arkansas stones for a broadhead like the Phantom that comes reasonably sharp out of the pack.

Diamond stones are great at rapid stock removal and quick bevel grinding on broadheads like the Grizzlys or Zwicky Deltas that need a lot of work to get sharp the first time. I have not seen an x-fine diamond stone of any brand that can polish an edge like a Arkansas though.

You're welcome to give me a call if you like. I won't try to sell you anything   :readit:    :D  

You can call up till 9 pm eastern, 365 days.

Ron
800 561-4339
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Sharpster,
As much as we would like to believe that shortcuts in life will work like magic, fact is they just don't !!! A carbide sharpener will never put a refined surgical edge on steel like a stone !

That being said I have never really liked any two blade head until I saw a Simmons Treeshark in person. I now shoot them out of my two heavy bows and needed a reliable way to at least get a shaving edge on a two blade. Trad brother JC showed me the wheelie sharpener and I was hooked.

I have always shot a three blade head and shoot Wensel Woodsmans out of my lighter bows. I sharpen the WW's with the file, fine arkansas and final strop on heavy leather glued to a 2X4. Edge is the sharpest thing I have ever held !

My son likes the Phantoms and we found they are pretty sharp out of the pack , but touch them up with the wheelie. Works great, but again , cannot sharpen bleeders with the wheelie. He missed a shot this year and we used his toothbrush, haha, to clean the dirt off and touched up with wheelie in two minutes.

If I shot four blades on a regular basis I would invest in the KME in a heartbeat. I am a ex aerospace machinist and I can see this is a very well made and thought out system. Very versatile and will give that constant angle on any head that you must maintain to develop a true razor edge. Bet it works quick too since the angle is held perfectly constant.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline jerry womble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
I have to agree with the KME sharpener. It really does a
great job on any replaceable bleeder blades.

Jerry

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

-Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the info TradGangers. Sounds like the KME sharpener is the pick of the litter. I've always sharpened my Bear Razorheads and Magnus 2 blade heads with Arkansas stones and a leather barber strop. Made a little jig in 1970 that would hold the Bear bleeder blades and allow me to touch them up without cutting my fingers. Recently, I've used the Lansky stone system on my Magnus heads with good success. I also shoot WW heads and use Charlie Lambs method to keep them razor sharp. I've been accumulating Phantom 125's over the last year and thought I should sharpen some to hunt. Just wanted to see what my traditional brothers recommended before getting started. My thanks to each of you for your input. As for you "Sharpster", I appreciate your offer and you can expect a call, but not until I get back from the Solana Ranch hunt Jan. 2nd-6th

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Ron: I dug up an old diamond hone (looks like a regular whetstone but it is diamond impregnated...not like the DMT stones) that was recommended to me by Roger Rothhaarr well over thirty years ago. It requires some lubricant but it puts real nice finish on the edges. In addition, Ron, if I like a product I will say so. You don't have to push your product. Guys like me that use them and like them are more than happy to pass the word along to others. Hope  you had a good Christmas and that the New Year is good for you and everyone else that post here...good people.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
Bill C.,
Can you still see a brand name and/or model number on that diamond hone? I'd like to get one if they're still available.

...And you're right, definately an excellent group we have here.

Bill T.,
Have a great time and bring us back some stories and pics!

-Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©