3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: curious why all bows arent cut to center???  (Read 2129 times)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
curious why all bows arent cut to center???
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
Im sure there is a simple explanation to this...does it depend on how much mass is in the riser?? I know recurves are typically cut to center but not longbows... why is that? I would think cut to center would mean easier tuning and a wider spine selection... forgive me if this is a dumb question, but im still learning here...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: curious why all bows arent cut to center???
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Mass in riser yes!

As for longbows not being cut to center, I could be wrong but there are many that are cut to center and some that are cut past center.

Selfbows usually do not have a cut in shelf, but some do.

"I would think cut to center would mean easier tuning and a wider spine selection" you are correct!!!
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Yep..i was aware that some longbows are also cut to center or even past... it seems to me that if any riser was capable of being cut to center then that would be the way to go...or is there another reason other than riser mass, that short of center would be desirable?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
I believe that is the main reason.... how much material there is to work with when cutting out the shelf. Just like some bowyers are very conservative as to how narrow or deep they will cut the grip throat.... same thing, amount of material and not risking compromising it's strength.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
Some longbow shoots require 1/8 off center....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Competition rules may play a huge part in the reason. Most of the big longbow competitions have some type of a 1/8 inch from center rule. This probably originated to allow older style bows to still be competitive but I am not sure.

Some custom bowyers will cut it to wherever you want it.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Some folks like Toyota and others a Chevrolet.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
I don't think a bow that is cut so the arrow is centershot is inherently more accurate than one that is not.  However, more care needs to be taken in tuning arrows for the non-centershot bow.  An arrow correctly tuned for a non-centershot bow will bend around the bow and fly straight, just as though the bow were centershot.

If a bow handle is strong enough, I can see no reason not to cut it so the arrow is centershot, other than some competition rules, as was noted.  However for many self bows, the handle is not strong enough.  In The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, John Strunk contemplates whether it is worth the risk to cut a 1/4" platform for the arrow rather than providing an arrow rest on the side of the bow handle, and concludes that "in my estimation, it is not worth the risk."
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
There is a natural movement of the arrow away from the bows center on the nock end when released by fingers.If a bow was center shot it would change the pressure point, not a good thing! Some archers have to pad out the plate on their bows to achieve good flight. Most bowyers are aware of this and cut their shelfs shy of center.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
I build my risers on the old Bear model with an I beam in the center . This allows me to cut all my risers 3/16 past center and still retain stiffness, the purple heart I beam  or redheart or bloodwood looks great too and adds an extra dimension to the riser look.

More and more bowyers are cutting risers past center on longbows as well as recurves. It was a matter of riser strength that they only were cut to center but the riser can be purposely left thick on the side opposite of the window too.,There are ways.

God bless and Happy New Year, Steve

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Some bows aint got enough wood. No big beal, there just a little pickier about the arrows ya shoot in them.

Eric

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
im glad i asked this question.... im getting a wealth of great responses...thanks .... i did not know about the longbow competition rule and at the same time am learning abit about bow design....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
"There Are No Stupid Questions" jacobsladder, Not Around the Great People of  "TRAD-GANG"!!   :thumbsup:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline 72highboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
This has been very helpful for me also. I have been pondering the same question for some time now. Thanks for the good question and answers.

Jon

Offline White Oak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
Shakes is right on the money. There are no stupid questions here.
For every question asked, several of us learn.

Take care,
                            Ed  :campfire:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
I dunno, Matt, My Morrison recurve riser is cut 3/16 past center... all that means basically is that the force of the string imparted to the arrow is more direct, and requires a stiffer spine given the same draw weight then a riser cut shy of center by any amount.  Since the arrow doesn't "wrap" through 'paradox' as much, it needs be stiffer!

I'm not sure a pressure point issue is inherently good or bad, just different.  I had my custom Fedora 560 made cut to center and it shoots basically the very same arrow as the Morrison set up, and the two are but 2# of draw weight different.

then again, friends bows with risers shy of center and drawing up to 10-15# MORE draw weight shoot my arrows "stiff"... so side plate / Center shot, really does affect spine required.

My John McCullough (?) longbow is cut 1/8" shy as John says that is AMO or IBO legal as stated above.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
For ease of tuning and therefore allowing a larger variety of arrow spines, all bows should be cut 3/16ths past center unless the archer wants to use the bow in some competitive class that requires something else.  

As many have said, any bow cut only to center or perhaps cut before center requires careful matching of arrows between it, the person shooting it, the arrow length, shaft diameter, point weight, and spine.  

Everyone should always remember the little trick of being able to tune your bow to your arrow if the bow is cut well past center.  If arrows are flying weak (to the right for a righty) then simply build out the strike plate on the sight window a smidgen and make those arrows paradox a bit more and you're tuned.  

Having a riser cut fully 3/16ths past center is always a good thing unless certain classes of competition don't allow it.

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
By center shot,I am talking about the center of the arrow in relation to the bow. A thicker arrow can be shot in a deeper cut bow if the arrow is thin it may be that the plate needs to be shimmed out. Some of the carbon arrows are very thin which would put the center of the arrow to far into the bow. How would one go about tuning these wthout shimming out the plate?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matt E:
There is a natural movement of the arrow away from the bows center on the nock end when released by fingers.If a bow was center shot it would change the pressure point, not a good thing! Some archers have to pad out the plate on their bows to achieve good flight. Most bowyers are aware of this and cut their shelfs shy of center.
I have to disagree with this quote in some respects Matt. Having a bow riser cut past center gives you a wider range of arrow spine you can shoot allowing you to use different weight tips on the same arrows or shoot different arrows completely.

arrows are expensive ...... seems to me having the luxury of adjusting a riser pad out a bit is a lot easier and more cost effective than building or buying more arrows....I believe a lot of bowyers do go past center for just that reason....I have cut each bow i have built a little closer to center each time, and found them to be more user friendly...... Kirk

This one is an 1/8" past center

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Kirk, My previous post may explain what I meant some what better. Like your bow being cut 1/8" past center. an arrow 1/4" diameter would be center shot. Most people I know don't shoot less than a 5/16" diameter shafts......  I like your bow, it looks well made.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©