3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moving to traditional  (Read 268 times)

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
Moving to traditional
« on: December 26, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I took up archery six months ago to spend some quality time with my younger brother who has been shooting for years.  We have shot much in that time and he harvested his first deer with a bow on November 1.  After that, I quickly grew tired of shooting in the "modern" style.  First I moved from the mechanical release to shooting three fingers under.  I immediately felt more connected to the bow, more involved in the shot.  I have since removed the sight with fiber-optic pins, the quiver mount and kisser button.  I traded my whisker biscuit for a two-pronged open rest and am teaching myself to shoot anew.  Although I am still shooting a compound, I am learning the methods of "traditional" archery.  It is an amazing feeling to pick a spot, concentrate fully, and release the arrow to that point.  In the coming months I will be purchasing a recurve, leaning towards a Check-Mate Falcon, and taking another step in this journey.  I wish to thank the Trad Gang members and administrators for providing inspiration and information about traditional archery.  I would not have come this far without this wonderful site.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving to traditional
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Hold on to your kisser button buddy! You are in for some of the best times of your life!  :D

Welcome To The Gang

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:
you have no idea how much fun and personal satisfaction is in store for you right now.
you should definitely get the "Masters of the bare bow" DVD and another great one, " Shooting instinctively at the moment of truth" by Dan Bertalan and Denny Sturgis
take care
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Good for you,,, your brother must be very happy too. Now only if I could get my brother to take up archery,,, have fun,,, and welcome!!!
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
Glad to have finally joined after reading the site for a couple of months.  3 Rivers has a combo package on the Masters DVD's so I will have some viewing to do.  I appreciate your replies.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
Focusource, you are way ahead of the game! It usually takes alot longer for someone to realize
there is a way to become more of a part of the shot, and enjoy the whole process that much more.

Part of being a "traditional" shooter has to do with how much enjoyment you get out of it. Obviously you are already there. (A recurve or longbow will open your eyes even more.)

Reading about how someone new is enjoying the "journey" as much as you are, is as much fun
as reading about someone`s first time success as a hunter.

You will find yourself "more connected" alright,... and not just to the bow.  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©