3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Water Proofing Feathers  (Read 332 times)

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Water Proofing Feathers
« on: December 27, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Today is a wet and rainy day here in NJ but I have the itch to hit the woods again with my bow for the up comming Winter Bow season.
Many years ago I remember my Father buying me a new pair of leather boots and the lesson he gave me in water proofing them.
Dad was a welder/maintenance man and he learned many diffrent ways to get the job done.
He gave me a can of silicone spray and told me to liberally spray the leather boots, let them sit over night and re-spray them again the next day. I remember that my feet never got wet since the boots were treated this way.
I was wonderring if anyone here has tried treating their feathers with silicone spray, and if they have how did it work out for them.
Thanks Trad Gangers.
Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Water Proofing Feathers
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
I use the spray on tire shine you can buy at automotive stores.  It has silicone in it.  I spray it on my fingers, work it into the feathers and let it dry.  Works great.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
There are a couple of bohning products, one is a liquid with small applicator brush, the other is a powder material..

You can also get some waterproofing at fly tying stores...

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
I've tried the powder, camp dry silicone, tire shine, and no snow from 3rivers. They all work....for a little while, then fail utterly.
Best luck I've had was using the no snow, and baby botle liners with a rubber band. Kind of a pain in the patoot, but it lets me stay out longer.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
Get NO SNOW from 3 rivers

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
Not many people know about this stuff... But It Works Great!! Found it at a sportsman show in PA.

SCENTSIBLE FEATHER DRY
by TOM/PAK
P.O. Box 1784
Johnson City, TN 37605
888-237-1568

Comes in a four (4) oz. spray bottle.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »
I have not tried them all by no means but the best thing i have used and still use is ziplock snack size bags. I put a field tip on the arrow and push it through the center of the side of the bag, slide the bag up the arrow, slip the feathers and knock into the bag and zip it. Replace the field tip with broad head. when its time to use the arrow you just pull the bag off the arrow, feathers slip right through the hole and dry as a bone.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Recurve,
I've been using industial silicone spray like your talkin' about for years.  Works like a champ.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »
I use condoms...small pin hole and slide on over feather. Really seals tight against the arrow shaft and pulls off over feathers quietly.  You need to be able to remove the broadhead first.

Course you may want to practice your story if your wife or game warden goes thru your pack  :eek:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Thank you for all the good pointers.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic: