3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Loners in the woods  (Read 4025 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Loners in the woods
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Reading Terry Greens 2007 challenge got me thinking and I just wondered how "alone" I really am in this.  Do the majority of you really enjoy bowhunting in groups or do you prefer to go it alone?  I've never been much of a groupy in the woods and so much prefer to hunt alone.  Even when hunting with my son, we don't hunt together but rather go our own ways and meet up at the end of the morning/evening and and talk about the hunt.  I guess it doesn't matter either way but was just curious.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loners in the woods
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I'd much rather be alone in the woods. It is nice to share a campfire though...........
Make a life, not a living

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Loner. Let's face it- you can be quieter- you only need to worry about YOUR scent- and its all up to YOU, not other people whether you are successful or not.

On the other hand- I enjoy taking my nephew on his hunts and of course we go together- and I enjoy tag teaming hogs sometimes but if I want to take game, alone works much better.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
I also hunt alone unless my wife decides to hunt. If I have other people go with me, I will leave them and go off on my own.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Same as you longbowman.

99% alone..........if others are with me,we seperate for the actual hunting.

Except for turkey hunting,it's more a 50-50 thing.Love to double team a longbeard.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
I enjoy the solitude and prefer to hunt alone.  :campfire:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Mostly alone, however I do enjoy get-2-gethers also.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Usually share camp with one, sometimes two of my hunting partners, but all of us almost always hunt alone.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I hunt alone almost exclusively. But of course most folks can't take more than a few hours of me anyways my wife would say. LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
I'd rather hunt alone also.

I like to camp and sit by a campfire with good hunting buddies, but when it's time to go out, I rather split up and meet back at the camp at the end of the hunt.

Offline LCB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
I prefer alone, but occasionally will hunt with another hunter of good character, and sound bowhunting knowledge.

I used to hunt with my Father, sometimes in the same area, but learned to distance myself. Dad don't believe in scent control, and often over hunts the same area. Bad habits from days of old:)
Success is measured not by inches of antler growth, but in the heart, soul, and mind!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
Other than bunnies and squirrels, 100% alone.

Nice to share a camp, though.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Im usually alone but I go with my dad sometimes when hes available and sometimes with one friend. If im hunting somewhere thats a drive I like it much more when I go with someone. Plus you get to compare thoughts after the hunt on what and where deer were spotted.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Depends on what I am hunting.  Usually I hunt by myself (whitetails, muleys, antelope, bears) but I have found double teaming a bull elk is a better way to hunt for me.  One caller set back 40-60 yards from the shooter is a real good way to approach taking an elk.  I have hunted elk alone quite abit and have trouble bringing them in the last 50-70 yards when calling for myself.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I'm with LittleBigMan. I like to hunt alone unless I have a friend that will call elk for me. The less movement and noise the better. That said, I do love having someone to share the days stories and compare things with at camp.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline NJhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I think The only way to hunt whitetail with a recurve or long bow is alone.

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
I hunt alone 99% of the time because of the hours I work. But I do prefer to hunt in either a small group or with at least another hunter, for saftey reasons. We meet at a designated parking area, make plans and go our separate ways in the woods. We meet later on at a certain time and discuss the morning, or afternoon's action or lack there of.
Since I do work all alone at the plant, I do like to have some human contact. But when it's time to take a stand I'd rather be alone, one on one with the animals.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I was beginning to think I must be antisocial!  I have shared many camps with other hunters and enjoy the fireside chats but when I really want to hunt, I hunt and that doesn't seem to compute by being in a gang.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Alone, but often with company SOMEWHERE in the woods.  Like many above, I typically come to the woods with a partner, then we split up and meet back at the truck or a chosen spot.
ChuckC

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »
Share a camp but hunt alone. However, I always try to let others in camp know where I will be hunting. At least the general area. Safety is always an issue.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©