3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I thought this was supposed to be easy  (Read 546 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I thought this was supposed to be easy
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to get a good shaving edge on my new wensel woodsmans. I tried using a bastard file then went and bought a Montec Diamond stone. But none of these seem to be doing anything?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I thought this was supposed to be easy
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
I use a file and then a diamond stone on mine with good results, but it does take a bit of practice, and new heads take quite a bit of work.  
Best short cut I have found is to use the belt sander first to get the edges level, and then move to the file.  
Another neat trick is to mark the edges with a permanent marker so that you can see when material is being removed and what you have left to work on.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
Whip pretty much covered it but I use a crock stick for the final finish.  :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
If you buy a snuffer tamer, it takes the guess work out of it. It will change the angle the first time you sharpen them but will be easy to resharpen in the future. Takes the hair from my arms.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
I use the file and then the diamonds. No problem.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
Buckeye, you should be able to get a good sharp edge with what you have, altho I prefer a smooth ceramic stick for the finishing hone.  Once you have the initial edge establised with the file, lighten up on the pressure until it jsut barely is cutting.  work off the bur this way and them move to the stone or stick.  Again, VERY light pressure.  Good luck.  I think there is a tutorial in the how-to's.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »
Man , mine sharpened right up, I finished them with a Kitchen steel , Shaving sharp, I like to bevel the tip a little on each side to strengthen the tip.

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 03:08:00 AM »
Use "VERY" light strokes.
If you try to force it you'll never get em' sharp.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 05:54:00 AM »
I second John4, finish with alot of really light strokes.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 06:28:00 AM »
Do you guys sharpen the points while mounted on the arrow or just holding them with gloves on or something because Ive tried both, I dont know if one way is more affective than the other but it seemed like when I was just holding it there would be  more taken off in certain places on the edge, and it would be uneven.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
I've used both ways also,shaft on,or just the BH.Either way works.I like just the BH myself,with a pair of leather gloves,even for initial sharpening.Limited space because of all my junk just makes it easier for me to do without the BH glued up yet.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Buckeye.  you aren't alone.  

I can get them sharp, but not as sharp as I think they could be.  

I can get any two blade to shave hair easily, but not these damned things.  I have used file and stone and strop, I have used grinder, I have used drum sander, heck I even made a convex stone so I could work a better angle into the blades. I read and used everyones advice.

All I got were worn out broadheads.  I am believing that the bunch I bought are not very well heat treated.  It is very difficult to get the marks out of the front of the blades, while the rears just wear away, and yes, this is holding them flat, trying forward motions, trying rearward motions.  I have basically resigned them to turkey and small game hunting.  

As I said, I can get them fairly sharp, but nowhere near "scary, shaving, razor, surgical, or whatever the current buzzwords are" sharp.

I am not very pleased with that.  They fly well.  Probably are good heads.  But since I can't get them sharp, I won't buy any more.
ChuckC

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
I couldn`t have said it better ChuckC. My experience was the same.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
I am with ChuckC on this.  I have had the same experience and came to the same conclusion.  I had to put mine to a beltsander to true them up - then I could get them sharp.  Now I don't mind sharpening broadheads, if fact I like doing it, but I don't think I need to machine them first.

WWs have a strong following here which is fine - there is a cool factor -  yet I am not so sure the quality concerns of WWs is always forthcoming.

So I suppose you could try harder, but ...  why?

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Unless they are the new ones (that come pre-sharpened - and I am not aware that they are available yet), the quality control on them is very poor, and the effort to sharpen them is imense on the later made ones.  Your best bet is to use something else until (hopefully) the better ones start being made.  Other than that, you have some practice heads......shame of a thing to happen to a good product.
Yeah, I'm disappointed with them.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Rangeball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
I bought mine two years ago and following Charlie's tutorial was able to get them rubber band popping sharp relatively easily.

After two years of being on my list I received the broadhead pro from ABS.  I had one that I'd been shooting into a dirt bank and it sharpened up it pronto with little work.  The broadhead pro has a sharper angle than simply filing them flat, and when our season ends, I plan to convert all my WWs on the broadhead pro.

Oh yeah, after years of fighting dull knives at my in-laws I hit their best knife with the bhp and filet'd the turkey like never before  :)
Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Offline Ravenclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I used a lapping machine where I work and sure works great on the final touch.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
I bought some woodsman BHs a few years ago and they sharpened pretty well, but I bought some a few months ago and almost wore them out trying to even up the edges.  Point end was very hard and the rear was soft.  I like the broadhead, but I think I'll wait for the new "Precision Grind" ones to hit the market.

Offline scot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
i can get 3 blade heads sharp, but not razor sharp like a 2 blade. i think it is because of the large angle. still get clean pass through every time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©