3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anybody hunt with 45 lbs or less  (Read 1896 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
anybody hunt with 45 lbs or less
« on: December 27, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
I am having some shoulder problems again. the doc sez if I want to keep doing this I better drop down in lbs. I got a 50lb`er now and its still bothering me but not as bad. I`m gonna find something 45lb and stick with it. The problem is not in being able to draw the bow but in the after effects.If you shoot 45lbs are less let me know your set up. I need some confidence builders. Kinda crazy but my buddy John bookhart shoots a 45lb longbow and kills tons of critters but shoots 650 grains in arrow weight and limits himself to 15 yards. I would like to keep my 25 yard range if possible. Thanks,RC.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anybody hunt with 45 lbs or less
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
I shoot 45# red Wing Hunter using an arrow/BH combination of 570 gr. No worries.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Been hunting with bows between 45 and 50#@28", and I draw 26.5. (27" if I am really excited, LOL!) Just got a bow that is 46 at my draw, and I don't feel a bit handicapped. Game animals in VA range from squirrels to black bear, unless you are lucky enough to stumble over a wayward elk.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:51:00 PM »
RC, you probably got that shoulder problem from dragging all those pigs out of the woods!  You know I don't have tons of experience and I still keep my shots under 20, but my bows are between 45-50 at about 29" and penetration hasn't been a problem.  I've been really pleased with the 570 grain or so wood arrows I've been shooting this year.  I was amazed that I blew through the shoulder of my buck last week and still buried the head deep enough into the spine to drop it.  I did okay with 425 grain carbons out of my ChekMate including one through the shoulder blade and still poked out the brisket.  The 2016's out of my Bear got a pass through.  I think you would do well with carbons at about 500 grains.  Enough punch will keeping a little speed.  Good luck with that shoulder.  Steve

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
One of my older MAII Widows is 42#s at 28". Shooting 530 grain arrows with Zwickey Eskimos at the business end will kill a dear deader than dead in very short order. Expect pass through shots with this set up at distances less than sixteen yards.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
yup i shoot 45 at 26.5 and the same as killie 27 if i get excited. and it kills fallow deer no problem at 20 yards. i use 3555 trad carbons with 125grn 2blade stingers up front.  :thumbsup:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
45 lb Black Widow recurve, 29" draw, 30.5" 580 grain arrow with three blade snuffer.

No problems
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
43-49#'s here. Arthritic shoulders brought me down from shooting 60#'s, where I was very comfortable for years . It took me a year to realize I can be happy at this weight. Now I wonder why I didn't do it a long time ago. My shooting has improved. Consequently my confidence has gone up. Nock on wood, I haven't had a failure on game yet. My newest recurve should be between 46-48 lbs.
A lot of folks will preach against it but don't let them get you down. The proof is all there. Of course, so no one gets the wrong idea, if I could shoot more I would. No harm in that.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Your buddy John has it figured out.  Leland

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
I shoot a 45# GMII easton legacy 2117 arrows with 5.5" sheild cut feathers magnus stinger broadheads. I'm accurate out to forty yards(can hit a pie plate 8/10) but wont shoot past 25 yards for hunting. I decided to go for forgiveness instead of speed and I'm happy with the results.-Scott
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
64" 42# PLX does the trick for me on hogs and whitetails with a 500 grain arrow and STOS broadhead.

I can pull heavier bows but feel the after effects more in the neck and shoulder.

As you well know SHOT PLACEMENT is normally the deciding factor and 40-45 bows shoot plenty hard for deer and hogs.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline Harpman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
Todays higher performance bows allow an archer to shoot less weight, with more speed with the same arrow weight than ever before...If a 55 pound draw selfbow can shoot a 500 grain arrow moving at 150-160 f.p.s. through a whitetail, than a 45 pound  "Modern" design bow shooting that same arrow at 170-180 f.p.s should be better..I know a fella that shoots Osage/Sinew bows, keeps His shots under 20 yards, and kills deer dead consistantly.. His bows pull about 45#, and His draw length is about 26"..His arrows are heavy, over 500 grains, and He told Me that they chrono in the mid 140 f.p.s. range...He does well with His gear..Get Yerself a good 45# bow, and good arrows, and have fun...Harperman

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 02:05:00 AM »
I would also experiment with how you draw.  if you watch videos of Hill you will see that his bow comes up without his drawing arm doing much until the bow is leveled off.  Kind of the same leverage difference of picking up a water pail at arms length or right alongside the body.  Less motion will also create less inflamation.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 02:14:00 AM »
I agree with Harpman, With deer size game no problem with a 40 lb bow at all. Especially as fast as the bows are today., A well made bow with boo and carbon will shoot like a 55 lb bow a few years ago. Why hurt yourself?

Offline Glaisnock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
I think that the 150s would suit your set up well though as some have said if you wish to go for big FOC you could with 250's , I shoot 250's from a 60lb 62" Robertson Montana falcon with 100g brass inserts and 200g broad heads for 300 up front with three 5 inch shields all I see is nock.

The effect big FOC has with Carbons has to be experienced to be believed , I know there are a lot of believers here.

Dr Ashby says of FOC fewer things have shown a greater impact on penetration than heavy FOC and he has seen some amazing results on Buffalo with light bows.

Enjoy finding out

Offline stuckum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 04:54:00 AM »
I shot a 45# Grizly for years with a 500grn. arrow. with 2 blade heads. Killed everthing form Quails to Pigs. biggest pig was 225 lbs. Don't Worry.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
I rarely shoot over 50 at my draw, and most times I shoot between 43 and 47#. Heavy , high foc arrows is all I hunt with.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
if I am allowed to say ;

I hunt with 43 # but I don't know if someone will think I can't say that .

Pastor Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
I've taken three deer that i can recal with 46#s, and thats if i came to full draw. All were pass throughs. I shot a buck this year from 5yds on the ground and didn't make it to full draw at all, the arrow still came out the other side.
450grn arrows.
You should have no trouble at all.  :thumbsup:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
My paternal grandfather hunted with a recurve pulling 42# @ 26" and cut-on-impact 3-blade heads. He blew through a lot of deer with that setup, and this was back when Dacron was high-tech.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©