3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: limb twist help!  (Read 458 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
limb twist help!
« on: December 27, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Hello, i am fairly new to building bows and i am working on an oak pyramid bow right now. i flipped the tips just slightly but they are a little twisted. when unstrung the are not twisted at all, but once strung they are. the pictures below aren't great but hopefully they help. Whats the best way to correct this, is it possible? thanks, dan.

"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb twist help!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
where are all the bowyers?
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Don't panick, go very ...very slow and shave a little wood off the side it is twisting to(the strong side) how much room do you have to play with the string nocks?
If you have a copy of Jay Massey's book"The Bowyers Craft", there is a great piece in it on correcting a bit of twist.
Hope this helps you a bit, make sure you excercise the bow quite a bit between shaving just make sure you go very slow.Bert

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
I am not seasoned enough to rate "Bowyers" status....but i do have a few under my belt this last year......

Fear not my friend....a bit of twist in a limb wont hurt it at all or effect the performance. The first long bow i built has a tad bit of twist that goes to the shelf side and helps the center shot a fuzz.I've left it strung for months on end and its never moved either...if you have a tiller tree you can check out what its doing at half and full draw. that's what counts.... Or just use an 18" tiller stick, and eye ball it....often times a bit of adjustment to
 your string groves is all it takes...Kirk

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
My last hickory flat bow is like that and it shoots just fine.  I wouldn't let it worry you.  If it were very bad then you would heat it and bend it a bit too far the other way to give it room to correct the twist.

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Thanks guys, i was planning on using this as my carp bow anyway so it doesn't have to be perfect by any means.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Kirk, this bow is an Oak self bow gopher is talking about, DO NOT leave it strung for months or you will end up with fire wood for sure, better to learn to fix the twist than to put up with twisted limbs.
Just my 0.02c.
Bert.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bert Frelink:
Kirk, this bow is an Oak self bow gopher is talking about, DO NOT leave it strung for months or you will end up with fire wood for sure, better to learn to fix the twist than to put up with twisted limbs.
Just my 0.02c.
Bert.
Wow! i had know idea we were talking self bow here    :scared:        :scared:        :scared:    ....my bows i leave strung have .050 glass on belly and back....even then i unstring when i'm not using them often....
    :notworthy:        :notworthy:        :notworthy:  

If a slight twist to your limb bothers you....by all means fix it....but realistically it wont hurt a darn thing if its stable and not getting worse.... I would imagine straightening a self bow would require a bit more finesse than the glass bow limbs....i haven't graduated to the self bow level yet, i'm still building glass bows for now....i do have some stave's curing i cut this fall....maybe i'll get into it next winter....Kirk

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
In the bottem picture--- you need to remove material from the right side of the limb.  Remove it from the fadeout to about 2/3rd of the way up toward the tip.  Don't remove material on the top 8" or so.

Refering to the bottem picture again---If your tips are a little wide yet you can narrow it from the left side- thus cutting your nock a little deeper on that side.  

The twist doesn't look too bad to me and shouldn't bother shootability.  Many selfbows have a little twist and it doesn't hurt anything.  The above info is how I handle twist in glass bows.  Chad

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Good to here from you Chad, thanks for the help. Say, have you ever hunted in Kunkel WMA? i was up there on thursday doing a little stump shooting, it looked like a nice area. thanks again, Dan.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©