3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1st try at Damascus  (Read 928 times)

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
1st try at Damascus
« on: December 28, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
I got a bit motivated this morning and decided to see what I could do with a bit of steel cable I had in the shed and had a bit of fun with my forge.The first attemp came out just as I wanted but when I ground it to shape I could soon see that I had not worked it enough and it became a letter opener instead.Its hard to learn this sort of stuff from books and I leart heaps from my first try so gave it another go and this time really worked it well and I think it will become a knife tomorrow.I love the look of the rougher one but need more practise.The bottom one in the pic was the first attempt.
Cheers KIM

Australian Outdoor and Archery

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st try at Damascus
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »
Shame about the inclusions in the bottom blade  :(

The top blade will look great after a polish & etch! Good job  :thumbsup:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
I know absolutely nothing about this but those look awesome.  Perhaps you can make one with a well worked blade like the top one and a handle section like the bottom.  Then some minimal handle covering that would highlight the "rough" handle.

Offline RamiusEng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Auz..

Not only are the blanks cool, but I have been dreaming for years to be able to start any conversation with the first sentence of your post.

Great Work!!!!
   :clapper:
Ray

the "go to":Toelke R/D Whip 62" 55#@28.5

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"  was written on the hallway wall of my elementary school.... I can see it just like it was yesterday even though it was 20+ years ago... the other hallway had something similar... "mistakes are good, they help us grow, they teach us what we need to know".  Looks good Auz, just keep it up and it will look GREAT!
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Looks like a great first try to me. Keep at it I have faith you will get it done.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Ok...this might sound silly....but what exactly holds that cable wire together while you are grinding it, and afterwards? Kirk

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
AWESOME JOB!!!

Funny you should have this post right at the same time I am just getting my first billets of cable damascus(3 of 'em), and one true damascus, ready for cutting and grinding.  Been racking my brain (that was a fruitless exercise!!), and prowling blade forums as well as input from my mentor for blade designs. I think I might mock a few up out of wood and clay to see what I like the best as far as blade profile and handle shape are concerned.  Yours look great!  

I kinda learned how to use the 24 ton drawing dies on my first piece and that made a real fancy piece of damascus ribbon (no good for a knife anymore but it is shaping up real well as a bracelet  :banghead:    My other billets came out great, so hopefully I'll have something real purdy to show you all.

Not that you need it, but since you mentioned how tuff it was to learn this stuff from a book,  feel free to ask any ?'s you might have, not that I could answer too many of them, but my buddy is a true master at the forge so he could help I'm sure.

Again, great job and good luck!

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Ok...this might sound silly....but what exactly holds that cable wire together while you are grinding it, and afterwards? Kirk
Heat. The cable is forge welded into one continuous bar, rather than seperate wire strands. The Cable is heated in the forge, fluxed & then hammered like crazy until it bonds into a solid bar.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
And believe me, it's a heck of a lot easier to explain than to do!   :D

PBS & TBT Member

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
Good going on your first attemp!    :bigsmyl:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
It's a lot easier using one of these instead of a hammer to get the steel compressed & welded.  This one is Doug Campbells, now it's on my wish list...Doc

Toecutter,  Where in Mass are you?

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Tippit,  I'm down on the south shore (Dartmouth)  My friend/mentor is Indian George aka. George Rebello.  If you google indian georges knives you can see some of his stuff.  Some really amazing stuff from one hell of a guy.

The few posts that I've seen of your knives have been fantastic.  I sure wouldn't mind loosing a few arrows and picking your brain some day.

Take care,
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
looks a heck of a lot better than my first attempts....

kirk   what holds it together is 'excitement'   :)  

really..its a molecular thing, once heated to a certain temp, the electrons get so excited they break the barrier between pieces and and bond together locking the individual pieces together.  the flux that rob was talking about makes sure nothing gets in there between the layers to hinder the bonding....

heres a couple of my first attempts...

bandsaw blade & handsaw blade

and a chunk of Quarter mokume:

MAN...I got so excited seeing the pic of the power hammer thinking that tippit actually has one that I could 'pimp in' and use......only to be let down knowing its in montana   :(
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
Toecutter,  I had looked up Indian George and wanted to attend one of his Hammer Ins!  I would really like to meet him as his level is way above mine.  Let me know if that is possible and I'd be glad to drive down to shoot some arrows & pound some steel.

Hickstick,  If I could find a power hammer around here, It would have a new home immediately   :D  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by hickstick:
[QB] looks a heck of a lot better than my first attempts....

kirk   what holds it together is 'excitement'    :)  

really..its a molecular thing, once heated to a certain temp, the electrons get so excited they break the barrier between pieces and and bond together locking the individual pieces together.  the flux that rob was talking about makes sure nothing gets in there between the layers to hinder the bonding....

Sound an awful lot like a good marrige....i won't touch that part about the flux.....LOL!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
jeff...let me know if at some point you want to try to build one...I've got the 'rusty' plans from jerry allen, and have also done a bunch of research on tire hammers....with the likelihood of finding one for sale around here, I think we'd have to build one...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Tippit,
I'll find out this weekend and let you know when the next hammering is.  FYI, A 30 pack of buds really puts a smile on George's face  :D

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
The flux is for a couple of things really. It forms a seal to keep oxygen away from between the layers. Oxidation is your enemy. Since the flux is in liquid form at welding heat, it squirts out when the billet is struck with a hammer, taking with it some scale that will likely form.
  Most of the time, if there is a problem, it's because the billet did not soak at welding heat long enough and/or it is allowed to cool too much while being hammered on.
  It takes doing it a few times and messing up a lot to figure out what the flux looks like at welding heat and what the color of the steel is at welding heat.
  One other thing. After successfully welding the billet, you must forge the blade at a rather high heat, near welding temperature. Since the blade is being hammered to a thinner cross section, this means less mass and faster heat gain and loss. Turn the forge down a little and let the blade soak up the heat till it's at forging temp. In other words, dont blast the heat into the blade or it will burn the point and thinnner edges before the thick areas are ready for the hammer.
                                 Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Auzoutdoor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the tips and Lin I agree with every word on the 2nd one I worked it a lot hotter and got a heap better result.It is a lot slower learning without some one there pointing out things for you as you go along.It is great fun though and hard work I couldnt lift the hammer by the time I was finished.
Cheers KIM
Australian Outdoor and Archery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©