3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Grizzlystiks worth the money?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Grizzlystiks worth the money?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
The Alaskans are incredibly tough and heavy. The Sitkas weren't anywhere as near as durable in my experience with them. The ADs are very good arrows, not as tough as the Alaskans but much more durable than the Sitkas and very easy to tune.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Ok Guys...........

I thought I would add my experience with these shafts on this thread as it seems like my experience is the opposite of what some are writing and talking about.

First, I have no idea where the idea of the shaft being larger than the insert  comes from? I shoot these shafts almost exclusively and have both Safari's and also Alaskan's. My Safari shafts weigh in around 950 grains at 31.5" my Alaskans are around 700 at the same length.

I  also will add that I shoot heavy bows being the lightest bow on my rack is 75lbs at 28". One thing I am seeing on here is the issues with the Safari shafts. These shafts are not light or lack spine stiffness. I had an issue with an 82lb Silvertip shooting these arrows until I added some additional weight up front. Bottom-line though is these arrows still teeter on being to stiff and heavy for an honest 82lb bow with a full 28" draw. The point I am making is the fact that these arrows will require a very heavy draw weight bow in order to fly right and be effective. Not the thinking of let's just jack up our arrow weight and lob arrows out of bows that were not designed to use shafts of that weight. The stiffness of these shafts is a factor above and beyond the physical weight.

I actually can shoot Alaskans out of bows running from 75lbs to 82lbs at 31.5" and a 175 grain head giving me a finished arrow of around 700 Grains keeping me above 8 Grains per pound. These arrows scream and fly like darts. And as far as penetration is concerned that issue is null and void. So this is the go to arrow for me in regards to all these bows in that weight range. I don't need the Safaris although they will work, the Alaskans provide a substantial jump in performance and lets face it a 700 grain arrow coming out of a 82lb bow that is well over the 200 ft per second mark is not going to have penetration issues.

Without getting off track here "I" think a lot of the issues would be solved if you stepped down a notch in  arrow choice. In other words drop from the Safari to the Alaskans etc..................

The nocks were also mentioned and Ed has now converted the Safaris to have press in nocks like the other arrows in his line up have. I had some nocks break and called Ed and 2 days later went to the mailbox to find an envelope filled with nocks of various colors. Had I requested him to change my Safaris out for the new slip in nock system I am betting he would have done it without a second thought.

The quality of these arrows are second to none also. Although I will tell you I don't look down the inside of my arrows and I also never check them for spine variances or any of the other stuff that so many guys feel compelled to do. I put them together to arrive at a certain weight that I am looking for in regards to the bow I am shooting, put my glove on and go out to my range and shoot them.
And when they fly perfect like these arrows do and hit my bag target like a direct hit from Mike Tyson in his day and also stack on top of each other in the center ring at distances out to 30 yards the product is good enough for me. Am I an exceptional shot? ...........No, am I a pretty good shot.........Yes. But more importantly I am a hunter that knows these arrows will do what it is that I go to my stand to do. And chances are if you miss or hit and obstacle this shaft will live to be shot another day.

So in closing my take on these shafts are they are worth the extra money and they do live up top to their billing. There are lots of shafts out there just like there are lots of bows. They make trucks in different colors also for the same reason.

I am no way affiliated with Ed or his company either and I pay for all my arrows and supply's from him. Which I do gladly as I know the service does not end with my purchase and the quality and performance is flat out awesome.

Regards

Tim Schoenborn

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Amen.

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Shawn Leonard,
I found your post very interesting, so I pulled out my Grizzly Stiks and checked to see if what you said about the shaft was accurate with mine.  Mine do not show the variation that you encountered with yours.  However, the AD Trad-Lite shafts that I just bought are sort of odd in the fact that you can actually see the line twisting around the shaft - like you can tell where the fibers were wrapped around a mandrel or something to that effect.  It hasn't hurt anything, and doesn't bother me, but while we were pointing out the differences, I thought I'd mention that.  

All the best,
Glenn
If at first you don't succeed.... buy newer / better equipment!

Greywolf Custom Longbow  
Chek-Mate Custom Hunter 56 Recurve

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tim Schoenborn:
Ok Guys...........

First, I have no idea where the idea of the shaft being larger than the insert  comes from?
just from what I have under my eyes...

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Ok Guys...........

These shafts are not light or lack spine stiffness...  
effectivily at 0.130 of deflection on my ACE spine tester it gives a 200# spine !

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
The nocks were also mentioned and Ed has now converted the Safaris to have press in nocks like the other arrows in his line up have. I had some nocks break and called Ed and 2 days later went to the mailbox to find an envelope filled with nocks of various colors. Had I requested him to change my Safaris out for the new slip in nock system I am betting he would have done it without a second thought.

yes I am quite happy to learn that but me I lost in june of this year a 100# lb cause of that...I would have prefer that it has never occured...and a pack of offered nocks would have change nothing to the fact that this bow costed 1500 euros...

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by foudarme:

Ok Guys...........

First, I have no idea where the idea of the shaft being larger than the insert  comes from?
just from what I have under my eyes... [/b]
So call or write Ed and he will fix it.

I am sorry, but I can't see how Ed would let these shafts leave his shop like that. And in the event they did and it was a mistake he would resolve the issue and make it right.

Making comments like this on a public forum without talking to Ed first is beyond my way of thinking also. Everyone makes a mistake now and then but I can assure you Ed will make it right. Unless there is more to the story than what we are reading here????????

Tim Schoenborn

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me how many grains per inch the Sitka and Alaskan shafts are?
Otto

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Unfortunately in any manufacturing process there will be some variation in product. Where some of us have had great experiences with Griz Stiks, some others have had bad ones. I reckon its the same as some people having rough times with GT and with various others.

I am still with Tim here, the Griz stiks fly wonderfully and hit like a hammer. The taper design of these wonderful shafts contributes to both the flight characteristics and the impact energy.

If it flies good and hits hard, why change?

All this and I'm a woody fan.

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
so it's true... well tuned they fly great...but the others too...
I will make you some pictures in a few days when I will be back from hollydays, cause according to what I can read between the lines of Mr  Schoenborn it seems that this sir accuses me to be a liar...
so Mr Schoenborn be a littlebit more respectful with me... I am not a six days old rabbit and in my country you could be conduce in front of a judge for what you let hearing about me...so try to speak like a gentleman it will be better for your own credibility...if you want that the others trust in your own experiments begin by trust them in their one..

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
Foudarme:

Easy my Brother of the bow. We're just sharing experiences here. No one is right or wrong- these are all just opinions...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Are the ones at 3RiversArchery.com the newer type that are able to take the standard nocks?
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Matabele:
Thats interesting Black Wolf, what broadhead were you using out of curiosity?

Are the Grizzlystiks larger in diameter than the broadhead ferrule generally? And the AD Trads are they larger in diameter?
I made a mistake in my initial post...I wasn't using Safaris...I was using the Alaskans at around 720g. which included a sharp 150g. G5 Shkote broadhead.

The Alaskans weren't any larger in diameter than the broadhead ferrule if I remember correctly. I believe they were both around 11/32".

The bull was shot at about 15yrds and I honestly believe the broadhead had more to do with the lack of penetration than the Alaskans did...yet I still was expecting more penetrtion than what I got since increasing my total arrow weight by nearly 100g.

I always bareshaft, paper tune and broadhead tune my arrows...so I know beyond a shadow of any doubt...they are tuned to the best of my ability for increased penetration and accuracy.

I don't know anything about the AD arrows.

Where I live in Colorado, there are alot of rocks and I need a durable arrow when I go stump shooting or rabbit hunting and was expecting more from the big carbons than what I personally experienced. The Alaskans would break near the tips as often as my old 2419 aluminum arrows would bend or mushroom. It wasn't until I tried the skinny Axis arrows and FOOTED them with aluminum did I find a nearly indestructable arrow.

What I have personally found out...is that a light, fast, higher FOC, well-tuned skinny arrow can often out penetrate a heavier, slower, lower FOC, well-tuned thicker arrow from the same bow.

Ray  ;)

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by foudarme:
so it's true... well tuned they fly great...but the others too...
I will make you some pictures in a few days when I will be back from hollydays, cause according to what I can read between the lines of Mr  Schoenborn it seems that this sir accuses me to be a liar...
so Mr Schoenborn be a littlebit more respectful with me... I am not a six days old rabbit and in my country you could be conduce in front of a judge for what you let hearing about me...so try to speak like a gentleman it will be better for your own credibility...if you want that the others trust in your own experiments begin by trust them in their one..
Là foudarme facile. M. Schoenborn ne vous accuse jamais d'être un menteur. J'ai retourné et ai relu ses poteaux. Si vous voulez que M. Schoenborn soit plus respectueux de vous, alors vous devriez faire la même chose pour lui, et d'autres, sur cet emplacement, car je trop AM commençant à prendre l'offense à votre tonalité. M. Schoenborn vous a donné un itinéraire parfaitement bon pour prendre - entrer en contact avec l'ED à l'approvisionnement d'Alaska de Bowhunting. Pourquoi vous démuni fait ainsi, ou dit que vous avez fait ainsi êtes laissé à la spéculation, en tant que vous démuni dit que vous avez. Au lieu de cela, vous continuez juste votre rant au sujet de la façon dont vous mécontent soyez avec la flèche, et continuez à amener vos 100 # arc. Je suis vraiment désolé pour votre perte d'un arc, mais pour continuer les attaques rant et personnelles sur M. Schoenborn ne sont pas nécessaires, ni sont les menaces de ce que ses actions "pourraient" lui obtenir condamné à dans "votre pays". Ce genre d'entretien n'est pas justifié dans un si grand endroit de ce type. Je n'essaye pas de vous offenser, satisfais ainsi ne le prends pas que manière. Mais vous obtenez avez offensé par les commentaires que VOUS prenez hors du contexte. Tout le meilleur, Glenn

J'espère que ce Français est lisible. Je l'ai changé d'anglais-français dans les espoirs qu'il serait plus facile de lire pour vous, et sois plus amical.

For anyone wondering - I translated this the best that I could (with the site Babel Fish) to French for the gentleman I was addressing.  The last section reads:

I hope that this French is readable.  I changed it from English to French in the hopes that it would be easier to read for you, and be more friendly.

Greywolf Custom Longbow  

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Otto:
Can anyone tell me how many grains per inch the Sitka and Alaskan shafts are?
Otto,
I couldn't tell you on the Alaskan's, but I ordered a Sitka test kit recently, and the two Sitka shafts I have weigh 344 and 347 grains.  With the shaft being 32 1/16" long, that equates to 10.73 and 10.82 GPI on the ones that I have.  When you put the nocks on them, it is supposed to make a 32 1/2" arrow from throat of nock to back of point.  Mine measure a bit over that - 32 9/16" - probably due to that extra 1/16" of the shaft length.  They come with 12 grain nocks, and 62 grain brass inserts, making the bare, full length shafts weigh in at an average of approximately 420 grains, before even adding a tip.  

All the best,
Glenn

Greywolf Custom Longbow  

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
"Because of GrizzlyStiks tapered technology design, arrows cannot be weighed by the standard grains-per-inch.As the arrow tapers, the grains by inch steadily decline toward the nock end. For that reason, we measure the total finished weight of GrizzlyStik tapered arrows."

The above quote was copied directing from the ABS website. Because these shafts are tapered, there is no relieable method to determine grains per inch. With these shafts - and I suppose any other tapered shafting material- dividing the overall weight by the overall length will not result in an accurate gpi number.

Just a heads-up in case in matters to you...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline cajuntec

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Labs4me,
Thanks for setting me straight.  I knew that, and totally forgot it - been shooting standard parallel carbons all my life, so that's a tough one to get used to.  Thanks!
All the best,
Glenn

Greywolf Custom Longbow  

Offline Footed Shaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
Glenn,how straight have you found them to be ?? Like i said before alot of the carbon shafts i have used are not made anywhere close to the +/- straightness  tolerence of aluminum shafts. Bill

Offline Tim Schoenborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I felt compelled to make Ed aware of this post last night as he is a sponser on this site. He tried to log in last night and post a reply but was having log in issues. So this morning he called me and asked if I would post this on his behalf....................

Ed's Reply...............

Greetings from Alaska.  My name is Ed Schlief, president of Alaska Bowhunting Supply and the designer of the GrizzlyStik.  It is rare that I ever get involved writing on these chat room threads because I really don’t have time or inclination to sit in front of a computer after a long day in my office. I spend way too much time sitting on my butt processing orders and doing the day to day business. When I have free time, I’d rather be outside,  hunting, fishing or just training my dog.  
Anyway, it was brought to my attention that I had better read what was going on concerning comments about my GrizzlyStiks.  The last time I wrote on a chat room was about 6 years ago when some guy from PA insisted on telling folks on the Leather Wall that I was making my GrizzlyStik shafts out of "scrap" pieces of St Croix fishing rod blanks…if you can believe that!  For some reason, this guy wouldn’t quit, so I was forced to confront his lies on internet public forum.  He went away but it was not fun.
First of all, I am truly sorry to hear that the gentleman from France is displeased with my GrizzlyStik’s.  However, it was never brought to my attention that there was any problem with my arrow shafts.  Had he written or called, I would have solved his problem before he damaged his bow.  I pride myself on delivering the best product and customer service possible.
I understand that the GrizzlyStik Safari is not for every bowhunter because they are heavy, stiff and the toughest arrow shaft that the engineers know how to build.  They certainly are not indestructible but as far as I know, the only big game animal that has not been harvested is the African rhino.  The list includes elephant, hippo, cat’s, giraffe, countless Cape and Asiatic buffalo and most all North American big game.  But my most notable customer is a veterinarian from KY who called to ordered 6 more Alaskan from me this fall.  During our conversation, he casually mentioned that he has now taken over 15 whitetails…on a single Alaskan arrow.
I will now address the complaints from the gentleman from France.  BTW, I have many long time European customers (several have become personal friends)  who have been hunting with my shafts for years.

1. “the nock's insert cone doesn't perfectly fit the nock: so the nocks burst quickly and I ruined a marvelous 100# LB cause of that with a brand new nock which had exploded after a 30 of releases “
In the past 8 years, I have never heard of a nock fracturing because it was correctly shot out of a bow.  One of my customers from TX shoots the Safari out a 125# custom longbow with no problems.  The nocks are standard Marco nocks made in the USA.  If I could find a better nock, I would offer it.  There are two probable reasons for the nocks cracking.  The first could simply be the bow string thickness.  At 100#’s, the bow string and serving could be too thick for the nock grove, causing the nock ears to stretch and crack.  The second and most likely cause is the impact shock imparted upon the nock when the arrow hits a solid target, i.e. tree stump.  The GrizzlyStik, because of its tapered design, quickly straightens from the deceleration paradox.   It does not flex upon impact like parallel shafts.   Any of the readers who shoot the Safari out of heavy bows have experienced nocks being fractured upon hitting hard targets.  They are only plastic, the weakest part of the arrow.  Prudence would dictate that when you shoot in the field and hit hard objects, you should always check the arrow for damage.  Perhaps pounding 30 arrows while field shooting had something to do with the nock failure.  Do you know what the striking force of a 900+ grain Safari shot out of a 100# bow is?  The Safari is a primitive form of depleted uranium!

2.      “they are not versatile at all: they need special inserts (you cannot use the 100gr brass inserts) and nocks (you cannot use illuminated nocks); they can't be fulfilled to get more weight (they don't accept weight tubes cause of the conic internal diameter”
    The gentleman from France needs to understand that if you cannot shoot 12 ga. shot shells out of a 20 ga. shotgun,  why would you expect to fit a 100 gr. Muzzy brass point insert into one of my GrizzlyStik shafts?  My GrizzlyStik inserts are designed for the GrizzlyStik shafts.  It’s that simple.  Luminocks don’t fit GrizzlyStik's ...or wooden shafts for that matter.

3.“they can't be fulfilled to get more weight , they don't accept weight tubes cause of the conic internal diameter”
    The GrizzlyStik is not designed for weight tubes.  The tubes are proven to be a poor idea.  Read Dr. Ashby’s reports on arrow penetration.  They do nothing to improve EFoC, which is one of the single most important issues in penetration.  However, I offer 20 and 50 grain internal weights that screw into the back end of the brass point adapter to increase arrow mass.  That dramatically (30%+) improves penetration by increasing EFoC.

4. “some of them are too stiff to be shoot by 100# bows !!!”
    Tuning arrows to a bow takes a degree of skill and knowledge.  Classic longbows with heavy draw weights are the most difficult to tune.  And not all bows, particularly longbows are equal.   The major difference is the thickness in the riser.  I would guess that the “100# bow”  is probably is a Howard Hill style, straight limbed longbow that shoots off center by about ¼+”.  Experienced longbow archers know that you need softer spined arrows to bend around a thick riser.  With a center shot bows, you can use a stiffer arrow. My web site explains that the Safari is designed for bows up to 100+ pounds.  However, most of my customers draw much lighter weight that that.  The average is 60# - 70#.  
     The last and most important point is simply this.  I guarantee everything that I sell.  But I can't solve a problem and fix it if I don't know that it's broken.   Sorry that I got so windy but felt that I had to reply.
Cheers,
Ed Schlief
Alaska Bowhunting Supply

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©